My Daughter aged 27 type one

raysdad63

Hi
I am father to 3 girls and so worried for them as fathers should be.
My middle daughter has been diagnosed with type one diabetes she has 3 children aged 2,4, and 8.
She also lost her Brother my Son only short while back :(
I am so worried for her not being able to cope with all this injections and other stuff.
I try to stay strong for them but also have my own health issues.
How much support will she get at first re injections and diet ?
At the moment i really don't think she has taken it in she seems to be still in some shock.

Her local GP diagnosed her she has only had one blood test and she is now waiting for a hospital appointment

Worried father

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You have my sympathy. Hopefully your daughter will end up with a good diabetic nurse at the local surgery as I have; they do vary in knowledge and approach. She should get all the insulin support she needs but this site is excellent if needed as many of us take insulin and can offer advice based on our experience. The NHS is often not good for diet advice as it is often based on dated 'government' mantra (go low-fat and low-salt etc). Fortunately for Type 1s on insulin, food intake isn't as critical as for T2 on tablets but do keep the carbs down as they are the problem. Fats aren't a problem so don't worry about protein, fats, veg and so on. Modern insulin injections are much less of a hassle than years ago. I have two pens with 4mm needles and they are painless. You do get into a routine for testing before driving and injecting as needed. Do suggest that your daughter joins this forum as loads of us have real experience to offer.

steree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi, I read your post and I dont normally respond, but I wanted to try and give you some hope, life does throw us some sh** but I promise you that it will get easier for your daughter, having type 1 does not stop life and you can live a normal life but you have to think differently to most. I was diagnosed 6 years ago with type 1, only 30, never heard of Diabetes and was very ignorant, after the initial shock and trying to find the answer why ( still have never found that answer :) ) with the support and love from you and your family your daughter will see that actually injecting and counting carbs will come naturally. I found it hard to inject especially in public but I got used to it, and my only suggestion is get a book called Carbs to Cals this has pictures and makes it easier to understand what insulin to give when eating, but first speak to the your local community diabetes team, these can be found in your hospital ( search in google).
I have been very fortunate, and I have an insulin pump, that has changed my life, I eat what I want when I want and no need for injections.
Please believe me that it will get easier, diabetes does not have to stop your life...
I wish you and your family the best of luck, stay strong!