My first attempt at the 8-week blood sugar diet

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My 3rd day in and I'm finding it ok.

I have been trying to be as lchf as possible for the last few months and recently been adding a couple of days of intermittent fasting.

Anybody else had a go and what are you suggestions?

I'm wandering wether to do the liquid diets drinks for a couple of weeks like he suggests in the book?

Thanks

Lisa

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm on day 2 of my second week and I'm finding it okay this time. I bought the recipe book (written by Michael Mosley's wife) which has been very useful.

This is my third attempt - the first time I managed about five weeks and the second time I managed 3 and a half weeks. I have a lot more enthusiasm for it this time (no holidays or Christmas to get in the way) and I haven't had problems with sleeping this time like I did before.

I did think about trying the shakes but I think I would get bored very quickly. My aim is to fast until my evening meal with just a mug of beef Bovril if I get too hungry and then have a 750-800 calorie low carb medium fat meal. it seems to be working. I lost 5lbs last week. :)

Reactions: lisajo2016

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi chook,

I've bought both books and find the recipe book excellent. Probably a lot of the recipes I'd enjoy. Just a bit puzzled by the porridge ones as I normally avoid carbs? Luckily I didn't have any milk in as I really wanted porridge.

I'm used to fasting 16-18 hours a couple of tmes a week now so I think that's a really good idea, to save calories till tea.

I've been struggling to sleep for over a week now. I go to bed tired but it's taking a good 1-2 hours to get off to sleep. Quite weird as I'm used to feeling exhausted at bedtime and fall straight a sleep. Have you found out the reason for this?

5lb!! That's great.

Thanks
Lisa

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The sleep problem is exactly what I've had before and I think I was just going to bed hungry. Eating one biggish mwal at about 6pm seems to have helped with that as I'm sleeping fine at the moment (or I would be if our new dog didn't keep waking me up at silly times.)

Yes, I thought the porridge was strange as well but I suppise its a bit much asking people who haven't low carbed before to cut calories down to 800 AND low carb. I've been on a low carb medium fat way of eating for coming up to rwo years and I don't think I would want to go back to a normal diet even if i could. I think reintroducing carbs would make me hungry all the time like i was before low carbing.

I remember reading somewhere that the diet drinks that were used in the original Newcastle diet were quite carby.

Reactions: lisajo2016

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, as the Newcastle diet showed, at 800 calories even carby shakes are fine, and everyone finds their BG seems to manage, both fasting numbers, and after the shake.

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, as the Newcastle diet showed, at 800 calories even carby shakes are fine, and everyone finds their BG seems to manage, both fasting numbers, and after the shake.
Oh right that's good. I'll have a look around. Think they might be good for a busy shift at work.

Thanks @douglas99

Reactions: Chook

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The sleep problem is exactly what I've had before and I think I was just going to bed hungry. Eating one biggish mwal at about 6pm seems to have helped with that as I'm sleeping fine at the moment (or I would be if our new dog didn't keep waking me up at silly times.)

Yes, I thought the porridge was strange as well but I suppise its a bit much asking people who haven't low carbed before to cut calories down to 800 AND low carb. I've been on a low carb medium fat way of eating for coming up to rwo years and I don't think I would want to go back to a normal diet even if i could. I think reintroducing carbs would make me hungry all the time like i was before low carbing.

I remember reading somewhere that the diet drinks that were used in the original Newcastle diet were quite carby.
Lol my labs 4 and she's decided if ones up we are all up!

I was a high carber before being diagnosed. Hence why I felt shocking.
Always had a bit of supper before bed. Recently changed supper to a bit of protein. But even more recently to nothing so I think you're right although I don't feel hungry just empty.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Empty is a very good way to describe it. :). I'm struggling with just that in the late afternoons at the moment. My husband has just changed jobs (this week) and his getting home time is a bit erratic at the moment. Hopefully it'll settle down soin and I'll get back to regular meal times again.

Yes, our new dog is a one year old black Lab - his previous home was a bit chaotic (to put it nicely) so we're working on feeling secure and our walk/mealtime routine at the moment. My other dogs are an 8 year old yellow girl Labrador and a dark grey/black scruffy looking Labradoodle boy whose coming up to 4.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes :). I always ate lots of carbs too. It was brown everything - brown rice, wholemeal pasta, jacket potatoes and rustic wholemeal seeded bread. But that's what we were told we needed to eat if we wanted to get healthy, I ate like that for years and years not realising I was making my diabetes worse.. :angelic:

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Empty is a very good way to describe it. :). I'm struggling with just that in the late afternoons at the moment. My husband has just changed jobs (this week) and his getting home time is a bit erratic at the moment. Hopefully it'll settle down soin and I'll get back to regular meal times again.

Yes, our new dog is a one year old black Lab - his previous home was a bit chaotic (to put it nicely) so we're working on feeling secure and our walk/mealtime routine at the moment. My other dogs are an 8 year old yellow girl Labrador and a dark grey/black scruffy looking Labradoodle boy whose coming up to 4.
Had to walk her 5 times a day until she learnt recall off the lead. Then she ran after a ball until she lay down in the field exhausted. That was twice a day up until recent. So energetic!

Just weighed and lost 7lb in 7 days!! A couple of days doing 5:2, 3 days the diabetic diet and the rest lc.

Good luck xx