My first week being diabetic

BongoSam

Hey mate,

you good to have a conversation at some point? In a similar position where I have been told I have diabetes but waiting for results on which type. Suppose I just need reassurance that I’m doing ok and you’re a couple weeks more along the process than I am.

Thanks,
Sam

Hey Sam,
Yeah absolutely! I don't know how to go about having a conversation in private as I don't want to plaster my phone number all over the internet!

I'm now on day 16 after being told I'm diabetic - still don't know which type, but I have an appointment in 4 days so should find out then!
I will say though - I feel like I'm getting the hang of it and can already see where and why my sugar levels spike and drop, and the effect it has on me - something which I was terrified about a week ago - but just having a biscuit or a couple of dextrose tablets helps bring it back up again, and snacking on pistachios or going for a walk helps bring it back down.
I'd say, if you have a phone number for the diabetic clinic at your hospital, give them a ring each day just to let them know your sugar levels, and how you've been feeling - and if you don't have the number, get it! They're there to help, and have been ridiculously reassuring to me, telling me that I'm doing everything right, and that I'd be surprised how many people do it wrong (like not taking insulin because 'they felt fine', or eating an entire pizza just because).
The most important thing to do is to keep going. Keep testing your blood, keeping injecting/medicating the amount the doctor told you to, keep to the diet they told you to keep to (mine's 50g of carbs with each meal + 1 x 15g carb snacks between each meal).
But the main piece of advise I'd give is to keep your spirits up. I spent the first couple of days in tears, because there's nothing you can do at the moment. It's horrible being told you have this illness that restricts your life, and then waiting to hear if you're t1 or t2 is agony - and the looks and sympathy I got from family and friends got to the point where it felt like I was terminal!
I had to explain what diabetes was and what my daily process is about 15 times to different people until I'd reassured everyone that I see regularly that I'm fine (just a bit grumpy that I can't have cake at the moment) and it got exhausting - but at least the serious bit is done, so we can now joke about it!
"Sam, you want a donut?" "You want to pick me up off the floor afterwards?"
"How much pasta are you allowed?" "Think about how much you'd give a child and then slap the child in the face and give them half."
"Can you help me move this?" "Sorry, no can do - I'm diabetic" *skips away*

The quicker you get past the 'my life's over' section, the easier it becomes.
It's now just an inconvenience for me, having to do tests and injections, but I'm getting the hang of it - and so will you!
For the next few days you'll be paranoid about everything you eat, and you'll probably feel ******, but that's your body getting used to it's new diet. In a week or 2 you'll click into it and realise what you can and can't eat (also, if you're on a low carb diet - get the Carbs & Cals book - it's a life saver and a great way to visualise what you can eat).

Anyway, sorry for the information overload - that's also something that is very overwhelming to start with, just try and pace yourself with it all.
If you need anymore advice or something to just talk to, hit me up :)
- S

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a lovely reply, and very happy to see you seem to take it all in your stride and are finding patterns already!
I don't know how to go about having a conversation in private
If you click on the name of the person you want to PM a little pop up screen appears with the option to send a PM.
Using the PM function is fine of course, but often it's more useful to have a conversation on the open forum so others can chip in too!
Please don't exchange phone numbers or addresses on the forum, and think well about sharing your Facebook details. You can, that's up to you, but don't do it without a conscious decision.

Here's some more information on online safety, within or outside of the forum: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/personal-safety-and-security-when-using-the-forum.132033/

upload_2022-3-5_12-34-3.png

BongoSam

What a lovely reply, and very happy to see you seem to take it all in your stride and are finding patterns already!

If you click on the name of the person you want to PM a little pop up screen appears with the option to send a PM.
Using the PM function is fine of course, but often it's more useful to have a conversation on the open forum so others can chip in too!
Please don't exchange phone numbers or addresses on the forum, and think well about sharing your Facebook details. You can, that's up to you, but don't do it without a conscious decision.

Here's some more information on online safety, within or outside of the forum: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/personal-safety-and-security-when-using-the-forum.132033/

View attachment 53656

You star! Thanks :D

RoughcutAU

@BongoSam what a great response! Good humour and frank.

I must have been incredibily lucky in some ways. I got my diagnosis while still in hospital - feeling like such a fraud because i felt totally fine and not unwell in the slightest. It was a huge suprise.

Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

MrsDiabetic

Hello @BongoSam, I thought I would say hi to you as it seems we are on a similar journey:)

I got a call from my gp on the 7th of Feb and was told that I was diabetic and I was put on Metformin twice a day. On the 8th of Feb I collapsed, had feet and hands numb and was taken into the hospital. I went into DKA, had ketones in my blood and I was on a drip. They flashed 8 bags of fluid through my system and after a week I was discharged.
I am insulin dependent now. I take 4 injections a day plus tablets twice a day.

I am waiting for my gad antibodies and c peptide test results and the wait is killing me.
You are not alone.
I cry less now but I still haven't accepted the diagnosis.

Broadscruiser

Hi BongoSam
I just wanted say that after being type1 myself since 1968, that's 54 years ago from age 12yrs, and I'm now 66yrs, you will slowly get to grips with your treatment and will live a long life, keep strong, be positive, and enjoy life, these things will all help you physically and mentally, good luck in the future.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there @BongoSam - can't help much with the medication side, as I don't need any and eat low carb - though I would mention my way of concocting cauliflower cheese. You warm a dish in the oven as you steam frozen cauliflower until almost done. heap in the warm bowl, cover with cream cheese. Add any herb or spice you fancy - as it sticks on easily. Cover with grated hard cheese, I like Red Leicester, but some do mild cheddar and them add a blue cheese. Put the dish in the oven until the cheese is slightly tanned and melty.
It is very low carb but some could be added - or maybe just sneak it in between meals as a nice warm tea on a cold winters day if such things are allowed. Even people not diabetic at all have found it rather good.
On other forums I am known as Drummer - which was what I was going to write before side tracked onto cauliflower cheese. I used to rattle along on a big snare drum for dancing. I have switched to a melodeon now, for long sword and morris, and maypole,