My Fitness pal

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh MY.

I thought I was low carbing, apparently my carb counting needs some work!

Just downloaded the app and input what I've eaten today and apparently im over target by after lunch (berries and cream, 2 cups of tea and an omelette)

EDIT tea was being counted at 10g carbs a piece. Not cool!

Where are the hidden carbs coming from? no sugar in tea!

Last edited:

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
remember that some inputs to the app are what people think they are... I always try and use the barcode reader or check on a decent website for carbs info

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit has a lot of carbs from sugar. What did you have in your omelette? My Fitness Pal should show you the carb breakdown for each food and tell you where the carbs are coming from.

Reactions: Bingale1

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fruit has a lot of carbs from sugar. What did you have in your omelette? My Fitness Pal should show you the carb breakdown for each food and tell you where the carbs are coming from.

the berries I have work out about 14g of carbs (I'm type 1, I just inject for them) omelette had cheese, tomato
(5 baby plum) 2 sausages and 3 eggs.

Reactions: vanillapie

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
does the tea have milk or cream in it.....the cream has carbs obviously......

you should definitely double check the entries you are using as the database is partially user built.....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

you should definitely double check the entries you are using as the database is partially user built.....
The milk has more carbs than cream and you probably have more milk but for 10 g of carbs you need about 200ml of milk which is pretty unlikely.
I find that MFP is pretty pants for most of the things I have checked plus so far as I know there is a lot of US data where fibre is included in the total carb count. That's why I just use a spreadsheet..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Be aware of My Fitness Pal. Do not believe what you read without first checking on supermarket/manufacturers websites or a reliable carb counting book/app. Many, if not most, of the contributors are calories counters and not bothered about carb numbers. Many are entered incorrectly. Many are entered by Americans that have fibre included in the carb count and forget to deduct it before entering it. I could go on. I used it initially but soon found out how unreliable it can be. I ended up working out carb counts myself from reliable sources and entering my own food list. I gave up after a while as I found it too inaccurate.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
By the way, there are no carbs in ordinary black tea. There are some in milk and a few in cream. There are none in eggs.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By the way, there are no carbs in ordinary black tea. There are some in milk and a few in cream. There are none in eggs.

Yeah I'm aware it has some pitfalls but I wanted a portable food diary as I want to lose some weight.

That's why I just use a spreadsheet..

Spreadsheets require me to work out carbs myself and are not very portable. Plus I use them far too much at work to look at another one.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The milk has more carbs than cream and you probably have more milk but for 10 g of carbs you need about 200ml of milk which is pretty unlikely.
I find that MFP is pretty pants for most of the things I have checked plus so far as I know there is a lot of US data where fibre is included in the total carb count. That's why I just use a spreadsheet..

I find it does the job.....but I am not actively on a low carb diet.....

Todays input so far...

Attachments

• MFP.JPG
    MFP.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 345

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No carbs in cream dude, a few in milk but hardly any.

S

Sean01

Oh MY.

Just downloaded the app and input what I've eaten today and apparently im over target by after lunch (berries and cream, 2 cups of tea and an omelette)

Something wrong with the carb counter. I drink black tea or green tea, but even with milk. 10g seems excessive. How big was the bucket?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
your coffee has carbs? where from

the milk....I like it milky.....but its likely my calculation rounded up, just to help the insulin along....;)...and its my own item I made as opposed to one selected from a list...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the milk....I like it milky.....but its likely my calculation rounded up, just to help the insulin along....;)...and its my own item I made as opposed to one selected from a list...
Yes but you have 3g of carbs from the coffee and then the carbs from the milk.. double counting?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh MY.

Engineer - When I was using MFP on a daily basis, when I started I checked everything I put in, unless I had the bar code or packaging I could refer to immediately.

As you probably know, once you have something in there, when you have that dish or element again, it will pull your data added historically, so at first it takes a bit of investment in time, but it gets quicker the more you use it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Engineer - When I was using MFP on a daily basis, when I started I checked everything I put in, unless I had the bar code or packaging I could refer to immediately.

As you probably know, once you have something in there, when you have that dish or element again, it will pull your data added historically, so at first it takes a bit of investment in time, but it gets quicker the more you use it.
I do this too, for the foods I use regularly. And I check anything new against the label on the pack. When I am entering a new food from scratch, I always add “U.K.” to the title, as I often use it in the search string myself. So now I’m confident that the values I’m using are accurate.