My hba1c has come back at 124.

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hba1c has come back at 124. I'm due to see diabetic nurse in early Jan, also the GP wants to see me early Jan. This appointment was requested before the results were back so I'm not entirely sure what that appointment is for as usually the diabetic team deal with all my appointments. Anyhow, Christmas temptation is out of the way and I'm back on the wagon. I know I need to go low carb as possible and I'm going to cut out the sweeteners as well as finger test 7 times a day. Is there anything else I can do to help myself get this back down and heading in the right direction? I go through phases with eating behaviour but this time I have to get it right. I was diagnosed with nafld about 3 or 4 years ago but nothing has been done about it apart from the odd blood test once a year. I've never seen anyone for it. I also found out at eye test that I have a small bleed due to high blood levels. I really really need to get this under control. I appreciate all your help and advice. Hope you all had a lovely Christmas xx

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Donna85 - you're on this forum so you're already heading in the right direction :)

You can get this under control. But it sounds like you've struggled to stick to it in the past?

You will find a lifestyle that works for you. That you can adopt, enjoy and stick to. But that's what I think is key - finding something that you are happy with long term.

What do you think would work for you? There are loads of choices that can help.

Low carb?
Intermittent fasting?
Exercise?
Medication?
Diet/Weight-loss?
Healthy sleep?
Mental health / de-stress?
And loads of tweaks, hints and tips that this forum is full of.

Tackling one thing at a time can be helpful. Rather than trying to do lots all at once.

And thinking on what makes sticking to it difficult for you. E.g. one of mine is that if I skip a meal I'll get hungry and more likely to binge on junk. If I stick to my regular meal times I'm happy eating the healthy food I'd planned to.

And bear in mind that anything diet related is notoriously difficult for people to change long term. So don't beat yourself up if changes don't stick. Try again, or try something new.

And obviously speak to your doctor before any major changes.

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy doing low carb, but find meals limited so end up having a sandwich or jacket potato when I know I shouldn't. I'm not a great cook, and don't experiment with foods very often but that's something I need to change. I really love fasting, I've done it alot in the past. I don't know if I can do anymore, now I'm on gliclazide 80mg per day and also testing so many times a day, would fasting still be possible? I have noticed my bloods go down much better when I haven't had breakfast or dinner, I guess that's how this works. I need to incorporate more exercise definitely. I used to swim and plan to go back to it in the next few weeks. I do need to lose some weight, I'm 11 stone at 5"2. I have lost a good amount but more to shift. I struggle with finding breakfast options. Apart from omelette or scrambled egg, what do you all have? I'm used to skipping breakfast or having a bacon sandwich late morning so this is taking some adapting to. I really do prefer fasting. And in terms of low carb, do I actually need any or can I just go as low as I can each meal? Thank you.

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also I meant to ask before, has anyone tried the path to remission, the NHS diabetes shakes and soup plan? What are your thoughts and does this work? This was briefly mentioned during a telephone call with the pharmacist in my GP surgery but not sure if it's a good option or not? X

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Donna85

I'm not on any medication at all and have a keto diet (except over the last week or so :) ). As you are on medication that lowers your levels you need to be very cautious with reducing your carbs too much. That's where the regular testing comes into its own. You can find out what effect different foods have on your levels.

I think that some have found some help with the shakes and soup plan but ultimately you need to find a way of eating that you are able to stick to.

Yes low carb can at least appear to have limited options. I suggest trying out the diet doctor website and finding a range of recipes that appeal to you. That way you have a greater range of ideas when you need something different.

I agree that some exercise is also helpful but I suggest starting small and building up. What you don't need is to feel overwhelmed.

I like the list that @Guilty posted. I know that better sleep for me ends up with better levels. So it's something I try to prioritise.

Read around- make sure you consult with your medical team before making any major changes.

Good luck :)

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much for all the advice. Will take all this and board, and start this long journey on the right foot. This site is amazing for info so far, thank you. I'm going to start basic and then adapt my meals to be more interesting as I get my levels down.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - just a question. When you say you're going to test seven times a day, are you doing this to a system? Random testing may give you some difficulty in working out what's going on.

The method that worked for me was to test before eating, and then re-test two hours later. The target for the second reading is to be within two points of the first, and not above 7.8mmol/l. This shows you how well your system dealt with what you ate - it is not to see "how high you go".

Most people will see the high point sometime in the first hour after eating - that's normal - which should then fall as your insulin deals with it. If your system can't reduce your blood glucose to close to starting level by the two hour point, then there were too many carbs/glucose in what you ate for your system to deal with at the moment.

It helped me to keep a record of what you ate, and to record your BG readings against the food. I used a diary, rather than a spreadsheet or app, because the diary could live on the kitchen counter along with my test kit.

Best of luck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hba1c has come back at 124. I'm due to see diabetic nurse in early Jan, also the GP wants to see me early Jan. This appointment was requested before the results were back so I'm not entirely sure what that appointment is for as usually the diabetic team deal with all my appointments. Anyhow, Christmas temptation is out of the way and I'm back on the wagon. I know I need to go low carb as possible and I'm going to cut out the sweeteners as well as finger test 7 times a day. Is there anything else I can do to help myself get this back down and heading in the right direction? I go through phases with eating behaviour but this time I have to get it right. I was diagnosed with nafld about 3 or 4 years ago but nothing has been done about it apart from the odd blood test once a year. I've never seen anyone for it. I also found out at eye test that I have a small bleed due to high blood levels. I really really need to get this under control. I appreciate all your help and advice. Hope you all had a lovely Christmas xx
I can't see the logic in cutting out sweeteners but still eating potatoes and bread, I'm afraid.
First, though, you are taking a drug which could cause hypos if you are not careful to spread the carbs you are eating evenly throughout the day.
Secondly, your HbA1c is rather high - perhaps you were eating lots of 'healthy' carbs even though you could not cope with them, so you need to reduce carbs gradually and have them under control.
On a low carb diet there is always something to eat, so there is no need to go hungry. I have meat, fish, cheese, eggs, yoghurt in the fridge, along with mushrooms, low carb salad stuff, and in the freezer frozen stir fry and various berry mixes, and mixed veges.
I have found that my appetite is much reduced after 7 years low carbing. I have two proper meals a day at 12 hour intervals, approximately but don't need medication now my HbA1c has reduced to the lower range of prediabetes.

Reactions: Donna85

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - just a question. When you say you're going to test seven times a day, are you doing this to a system? Random testing may give you some difficulty in working out what's going on.

The method that worked for me was to test before eating, and then re-test two hours later. The target for the second reading is to be within two points of the first, and not above 7.8mmol/l. This shows you how well your system dealt with what you ate - it is not to see "how high you go".

Most people will see the high point sometime in the first hour after eating - that's normal - which should then fall as your insulin deals with it. If your system can't reduce your blood glucose to close to starting level by the two hour point, then there were too many carbs/glucose in what you ate for your system to deal with at the moment.

It helped me to keep a record of what you ate, and to record your BG readings against the food. I used a diary, rather than a spreadsheet or app, because the diary could live on the kitchen counter along with my test kit.

Best of luck
I'm testing on waking, 2hrs after breakfast, before eating dinner, 2 hrs after eating, before tea, 2 hrs after tea and then before bed. I'm keeping a food diary also so I can look at what foods are good and which aren't. My main issue is remembering to take the gliclazide before a meal rather than after I've started. I'm used to taking it during, which I'm trying to change.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see the logic in cutting out sweeteners but still eating potatoes and bread, I'm afraid.
First, though, you are taking a drug which could cause hypos if you are not careful to spread the carbs you are eating evenly throughout the day.
Secondly, your HbA1c is rather high - perhaps you were eating lots of 'healthy' carbs even though you could not cope with them, so you need to reduce carbs gradually and have them under control.
On a low carb diet there is always something to eat, so there is no need to go hungry. I have meat, fish, cheese, eggs, yoghurt in the fridge, along with mushrooms, low carb salad stuff, and in the freezer frozen stir fry and various berry mixes, and mixed veges.
I have found that my appetite is much reduced after 7 years low carbing. I have two proper meals a day at 12 hour intervals, approximately but don't need medication now my HbA1c has reduced to the lower range of prediabetes.
No there is no logic in it to be honest. For a long time I believed that I could manage this by cutting sugar and lowering carbs (not by alot). Totally wrong info to believe and yes it made things worse. But sandwiches and jacket potatoes were my go to foods when in a rush, hungry or just didn't have the energy.. lesson learnt there. I've not cut carbs as much to zero-10 a day as possible and already feeling the benefit. I'm not yet in a 7 range before meals, so it's always over 7 when I test after meals, but Its usually back in before the meal range so, so far so good.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
No there is no logic in it to be honest. For a long time I believed that I could manage this by cutting sugar and lowering carbs (not by alot). Totally wrong info to believe and yes it made things worse. But sandwiches and jacket potatoes were my go to foods when in a rush, hungry or just didn't have the energy.. lesson learnt there. I've not cut carbs as much to zero-10 a day as possible and already feeling the benefit. I'm not yet in a 7 range before meals, so it's always over 7 when I test after meals, but Its usually back in before the meal range so, so far so good.
My go-to “fast food” is cheesy scrambled eggs (5 minutes to cook) or a ham, cheese and mushroom omelette with salad, usually a handful of mixed salad leaves from a salad bag for speed.

A couple of slices of cold meat wrapped round a piece of cheese, and then wrapped in a lettuce leaf, with butter mayonnaise makes a tasty and quick “sandwich”.

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My go-to “fast food” is cheesy scrambled eggs (5 minutes to cook) or a ham, cheese and mushroom omelette with salad, usually a handful of mixed salad leaves from a salad bag for speed.

A couple of slices of cold meat wrapped round a piece of cheese, and then wrapped in a lettuce leaf, with butter mayonnaise makes a tasty and quick “sandwich”.
They are great ideas I hadn't thought of. I do have scrambled egg with mushrooms or omelette with cheese. I guess there are lots of variations I can have. Thanks

Reactions: aylalake

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Will have the "sandwich" option you described, later today! I hadn't thought to do that. I'm enjoying not having bread etc so far.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep a bowl of hard boiled eggs in the fridge. Only 10 minutes to cook a whole batch then they keep for days. If I think I'm hungry then find I can't eat a hard boiled egg, I know I'm not really hungry, just bored, or tired, or emotional.
If I am hungry I eat as many as needed (with mayo).
Simples
And they travel well for packed lunches

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep a bowl of hard boiled eggs in the fridge. Only 10 minutes to cook a whole batch then they keep for days. If I think I'm hungry then find I can't eat a hard boiled egg, I know I'm not really hungry, just bored, or tired, or emotional.
If I am hungry I eat as many as needed (with mayo).
Simples
And they travel well for packed lunches
Thank you. I think I will do that also. That's a great suggestion for me. I like boiled eggs but they are not top of my favourites list, so this would work nicely. Can I ask what sauces everyone uses? I've seen a few mention mayo etc .. are they not sugar filled? X

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Boiled eggs could also be a good breakfast option? I'm rushed on a morning with organising and getting 3 children ready( one with additional needs), so cooking myself breakfast before school run is not always something I do. I really must start this new year being more organised.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I think I will do that also. That's a great suggestion for me. I like boiled eggs but they are not top of my favourites list, so this would work nicely. Can I ask what sauces everyone uses? I've seen a few mention mayo etc .. are they not sugar filled? X
Depends on how strict you want to be, or what suits your body or your purse. Your meter will tell you.
Personally I use small amounts of lidl own label, or butter, or cream cheese, or nothing at all.
Hunter Gatherer make a lower carb, healthier oils mayo but its very pricy (imho)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Boiled eggs could also be a good breakfast option? I'm rushed on a morning with organising and getting 3 children ready( one with additional needs), so cooking myself breakfast before school run is not always something I do. I really must start this new year being more organised.
My easiest, made ahead breakfast is to mix 10% fat plain Greek style yoghurt with milled seeds and some frozen berries in a bowl on a Sunday night, then eat a fifth of it every day for a week. It gets thicker and thicker as the week goes on. Keep it in the fridge.

Quantities can be to suit you, but I'd start with a 500g tub of yoghurt, 5 tablespoon s of seeds and 5 tablespoons of berries to make 5 portions.
All ingredients available and cheap in lidl or aldi.

It can also do as a dessert. Some people use chia seeds but I prefer milled linseed mixes.

• Informative
Reactions: Donna85 and Antje77

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I make my own mayonnaise. I used to use sunflower oil but since going keto, I make butter mayo. Easy to make, cheaper than the commercial stuff, and you get to control what goes in it.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you go very low carb (keto), you will find you neither want nor need breakfast. Solves two problems: you don’t need to worry about what to have, and you will have extra time to sort the children out.

Reactions: MissMuffett