My latest Animas inset II.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I'll add a photo, in a bit. But it was completly bent over on it's self, felt the insertion needle every thing, so a smal part went in, but not the whole lot. Corrected high this morning as went yo bed fine, got back from dropping kids of, high, did a set change, but correction didn't bring it down much as still showing high, so I'd already set a temp base, break time hi, so bolused and carried on work. Came home and down to 12.7, not good but down after walking the dogs, I ho hypo 2.1, so insulin stacked. When I got in from picking kids up/shopping, I rang Animas and told of problem, and agent agreed I'd done everything ok for insertion, but then asked did I still have the set and said yes, so being sent out packaging, to return the set to them.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1400010439.502638.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1400010455.758282.jpg

Photo's of the set. That I've been asked to return.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This can happen if you fire into scar tissue or muscle. Are you very slim? Are you using 6mm inset?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Honest, don't think this is a set prob. Although I agree on telling them.

Problems do occur with sets.. My body does not cope with plastic sers, just stainless steel ones. It doesn't cope with sets anywhere good except in my bum.

As a pump user you do have to accept that high's from sets happen.. But its more recognising when its a mechanicsl prob or a body prob.

I do agree in notifying manufacturers, however, I do it if I know its a set prob rather than my body. Eg if I sart a box of sets and for 6days I get highs every 2nd day and there is a timing to it that is not my fault.. Then I will change to a different batch number of sets and report to accuchek.

Even with stainless steel ones I have had part bent ones.. But those are down to my body and they are rare. Plastic ones in my body.. Hopeless..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well, actually as there seems to be so many peopke mentioning inset II probs, perhaps you all should be letting the manufactured know...

Perhaps you all have a particular batch number you are using, or a particular length needle and the manufacturers and MHRA do need to know of the problems that are occuring..

Prob best to ignore my previous post!! Perhaps you all should be contacting the manyfacturer snd registering these failures on the mhra website for mechanical or whatever they call it failures!!

Reactions: 2 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
iHs, yes it was pulled back and I was sitting when I did this one. No I'm not slim(want to be though) Mushy, and yes it is the 6mm, and Sod's law ( I have new sets turning up today which are 6, thinking maybe I should try a different length).

DD, I rang Animas yesterday afternoon, to tell them and got put through to the states, and they are sending out packaging as she called it, for me to send it back to them. Sorry for sounding thick but what's the mhra?? As never heard of them.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello. There are a few things to try that might help as I've had inset issues in the past:

Firstly always try to fire standing up as this works better for most people.

Are you double checking the tubing is sitting in the slot correctly right before firing? If not this bends the cannula on entry.

Are you firing the set more than once? I used to "test fire" which was causing all my failures. These sets are one fire only. After that they almost always bend.

Are you being slow and careful as you unwind tubing and remove needle cover? Too rough and you will bend needle before entry.

Are you firing in a very hot area? It can help to store sets in the fridge for an hour or so pre insertion. I do this if we get very hot weather as it firms up the teflon.

Where are you storing sets? They shouldn't be close to heat source like radiator or anywhere that has lots of temperature changes. This affects them.

Are you firing in sites that just don't work for you? I have some areas that always kink my set and I avoid them. I use the outer tummy, my love handles (which are fab!!) and under my ribs above my waist. Try new areas to see if that helps. Hidden scar tissue is a right pain with teflon sets.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This bent canula looks similar to what I had a few times with Inset IIs, and we're talking more than 10% of the time. My symptoms were like yours.

The advice to stand up was particularly helpful. I am now more confident with the Inset IIs than I was when I first started, though I prefer the manually inserted short steel needles and have had better results with those. I think for me it was a combination of inserting sitting down, inserting unevenly (inserter unit not perpendicular to the skin) and inserting into subcutaneous muscle I didn't know I had.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DD are you very muscly with your gardening work and is that why plastic canulas don't cut it with you, why you need short steel needles?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I am muscly. My bum is my only bit of fat. I wouldn't say very muscly though. I certainly got more muscle than fat....
My consultant said even with stainless steel ones to try 4mm Ones. She didn't know that accuchek don't do them.
I could guarantee that at least 80% of accuchek flex links fail with me.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hmm, I think I may opt for steel.

Reading pumping insulin at the moment and it highlights thighs as an area for cannula location. No chance on me I'm afraid, I think it's the belly or nothing.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another thing I forgot to say is make sure you aren't pushing the set onto your skin as you fire. You need to just float it on the surface. Pushing firmly down at the same time kinks the cannula with Insets.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes Mushy, I do that. But they have still failed including an inset 30 done standing up and that failed at work.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hhmm in that case it might be worth you trying steel sets. I tried them and quite liked them except my sugars went crazy after set changes. This was possibly due to needing the longer ones. I worked through the inset issues in my own case as I have a son with special needs so can't be changing sets every other day (the downside with steel). I never tried the inset 30s as wasn't brave enough. They just seemed so complicated!! Try my other suggestion above of putting them in the fridge and see if that helps.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Mushy, just stuck 2 in the fridge. I tried the inset 30's but they just freaked me out a bit, plus I had one of those fail, while at work. I have a son that's autistic and I work in a special school which makes changing every other day a bit fidley, but if it has to be steel then so be it. But I hope the fridge thing works.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sent my set back today, so let's see if I get any response, doubt if I will.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I haven't actually ever heard of any Company coming back to a person who sends back sets aa faulty to be honest. Certainly Accuchek have never done so with me.. First I knew of anything was when these sets were finally withdrew....
I hope you do get a response, by don't hold your breath.
After all you are asking a company to investigate themselves...

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if it's a pharma company they should have very well defined processes to deal with issue like those you describe and you shoudl be able to get individual feedback