My low carb/IF Diet - BG and progress

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a good day today. Fasting was really easy and I tried bulletproof coffee for first time today and actually think it's better than my normal coffee and a great way to add coconut oil into my diet as I rarely eat it.

When it got to dinner time, I really could have carried on for longer. I can't wait to get back to work so I can try a longer fast...I also think I'm getting back into ketosis after leaving earlier this week. Had a very slight headache today and yesterday. Nothing too bad.

Did weightlifting today for 15 mins, followed by 30 mins of yoga. Bg only increased overall by 1.6 so gentler than cardio and minimal so not worried about that.

Scales aren't shifting. I don't know why but there you go! Annoying but I'm not obsessing over it. EDIT: According to scales I've upped muscle by 2kgs and lost 2% body fat (about 2.5kgs) so that's why weight hasn't shifted...

I will fast tomorrow too as it is fitting in nicely to life at the moment. Swimming is planned so not sure how well I'll do with that on a fast but I'll have a bullet coffee an hour before I hit the pool.

Hope you've all had a good day too!

D x

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 again for me this morning. I was hoping it'd be lower as I've been fasting over 5 days (consecutive 24hr with dinner). I'm tempted to go for a longer fasting period now and see how far I can stretch it. I may stop topping up with food shops and just have a go when there's nothing but eggs in the house for me!!

Good news from evil scales! My fitness age is now 46 - that's down 5 years in less than six months! Very pleased with that . Other markers are also down, including weight and fat, and I'm only 0.8kgs off my next 10kg increment. I'm so pleased.

Just goes to show one needs to keep the faith through the apparent stalls and when the numbers aren't doing what they're supposed to...

My pain doc is going to be so impressed when I see him at the end of September. Hoping for another 4kg off by then but honestly, anything extra off will be great.

Happy days!
Dx

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prem51 - I use the Omron BF511 which does the majority of things Kevin's scales do, and are simple to use, with memories for up to 4 users.

http://www.omron-healthcare.com/en-gb/products/weightmanagement#

There are loads of new scales on eBay at just over £50, and this used set looks a bargain, currently at £18! They may go up as the auction progresses, but could be worth watching. Seller says they're hardly used.

I have a set here, and a set where I spend a few months each year.

My weight has been pretty stable for quite some time now, but it's good to be able to either step on/step off for a quick weight reading, or do a more fulsome body scan as often as required. I like to watch my visceral fat level isn't increasing, and ensure I'l keeping my muscle percentages up.

Thanks @AndBreathe I will keep an eye on that auction, and will get these scales either in the auction or new.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @AndBreathe I will keep an eye on that auction, and will get these scales either in the auction or new.

Prem - You'd be surprised how many folks seeing the scales want to have a go, on the Guest setting (their results don't go into the memory), but quite a few of the prefer you not to see the results.

We can be a vain bunch.

Good luck with the auction, but don't forget to add the delivery cost!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 this morning. Seem to be hanging on to the 6s despite the fasting. I'm wondering if I need to increase fasting periods to 36 hours, if not more but don't feel ready to do that just yet. Today is consecutive fast day 7. Weight loss from fat is about a pound a day and I'm adding lean mass so that is very positive.

I've been making bone broth in slow cooker from yesterday's chicken. Not sure I'm doing it right as it was nearly burnt when I checked it this morning so I've added lots of water. Planning to use it for longer fasting days in September.

Today is weight lifting and yoga. Swam yesterday during the fast and was okish. Was fine whilst swimming the length of front crawl but felt really dizzy when I stopped. Arms seemed to ache faster than normal but I think it's psychological. No headache yesterday and I'm thinking Ive gone back to ketosis, albeit the early stages of fat adaptation.

I'm feeling really strong and alert, as well as personally more confident. I believe in myself and am determined to avoid temptation and not stray. I've got a party on the bank holiday and was planning to have a couple glasses of wine but actually, right now, I don't think it's worth it so to keep on track, I'm going to drive and not eat any of the food. I'll make sure it's not a fasting day so I can go on a full tum. May bring some pork scratching with me or nuts...

And I've still got to work harder with drinking water...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 this morning. Seem to be hanging on to the 6s despite the fasting. I'm wondering if I need to increase fasting periods to 36 hours, if not more but don't feel ready to do that just yet. Today is consecutive fast day 7. Weight loss from fat is about a pound a day and I'm adding lean mass so that is very positive.

I've been making bone broth in slow cooker from yesterday's chicken. Not sure I'm doing it right as it was nearly burnt when I checked it this morning so I've added lots of water. Planning to use it for longer fasting days in September.

Today is weight lifting and yoga. Swam yesterday during the fast and was okish. Was fine whilst swimming the length of front crawl but felt really dizzy when I stopped. Arms seemed to ache faster than normal but I think it's psychological. No headache yesterday and I'm thinking Ive gone back to ketosis, albeit the early stages of fat adaptation.

I'm feeling really strong and alert, as well as personally more confident. I believe in myself and am determined to avoid temptation and not stray. I've got a party on the bank holiday and was planning to have a couple glasses of wine but actually, right now, I don't think it's worth it so to keep on track, I'm going to drive and not eat any of the food. I'll make sure it's not a fasting day so I can go on a full tum. May bring some pork scratching with me or nuts...

And I've still got to work harder with drinking water...

Debs - what are your finger prick tests at other times of the day? The fasting reading is the most variable of all, for all those irritating reasons we understand. You seem to be beating yourself up over something you can't control.

Slightly left field topic; have you considered your fasting is almost feeding (sorry for the pun!) your starve/binge days? In your shoes, I would probably be trying to achieve a period of good diet, a bit of moving around, and levelled off bloods. Once I had achieved that, I might re-think the fasting.

Whilst the concept of carb cycling; x days per week strict low carb, with the balance (7/14/28-x) with increased carbs, works for some, I'm not sure that for those with disordered eating it's all that helpful. Of course, that's just my gut feeling.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AndBreathe

I've had a few readings in the fives during the day, higher after exercise but spike is within 2mmol so not bothered about that.

I like fasting. I feel more alert and in control plus the fat is melting off which pleases me no end.

I wouldn't consider my slips as binges - a binge to me would be a whole day of eating **** food. Mine are one meal and in reasonable portions when I've put myself in the firing line.

If FBG is the most unreliable measure, then why do we place so must importance on it? It's very interesting.

What I really want is a better hba1c. Last time it was 6.0 so I'm hoping to get below that. I'll admit, I will be gutted if I don't. But it won't stop my determination to gain control in all areas...

Carb cycling would not work for me as I'm far too carb sensitive now. I'm doing ketogenic diet now - carbs <20g and measured protein. I'm also trying to avoid dairy for the lactose content but have to do better on that score. Whipped cream keeps me away from temptation

Before I was diagnosed, I used to do the 5:2 diet and was relatively successful on it so fasting for 24hrs is a natural progression. I am motivated by the dropping of insulin which I am convinced is far too high. I'm going to ask for a test at my annual review (Jan) and see what DN says.

Ultimately though, I am battling against a lifetime of false information, emotional eating and a very bad relationship with food. I think I'm doing really well with not emotionally eating but need to do better with consistency. I also need to find a way to manage stress as it gets to me too much at times.....

But overall, I think I've got a lot to celebrate

JenniferG

I've fasted all day and been good! Had a lovely dinner and an straight into the next fast....
Awesome! Keep up the good work. I've been fasting 18 hours now and don't feel the slightest bit hungry. And today is my 23:1 fasting day.. where I eat only 10g net carbs and 50g protein (800 calories or so). [Again, as ya know I have two days per week like this: Monday and Thurs.] What's your fasting schedule again?

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jen!

I'm currently doing a week long of 24hr fasts and today is the final day, then I'm going to go back to alternate day fasts for 24hrs a time. I'm rarely hungry on this plan and feeling good about the results.

I was hoping my FBG would be lower than its current level but that'll come down when it's ready.

Just watched a Butter Bob video on YouTube about insulin. So good

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferG

Hi Jen!

I'm currently doing a week long of 24hr fasts and today is the final day, then I'm going to go back to alternate day fasts for 24hrs a time. I'm rarely hungry on this plan and feeling good about the results.

I was hoping my FBG would be lower than its current level but that'll come down when it's ready.

Just watched a Butter Bob video on YouTube about insulin. So good
Good job! Yeah it will come down when it wants :) No worries.

I see Butter Bob has many on insulin, which one do you recommend I watch?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All of em!!!!

I'm at 24.5 hours and am not hungry at all. Tempted to just keep going....!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it was 40 something hours. If I carry on, I'll make it to 42 by breakfast time....it's tempting. I'm totally fine but a bit moody with the kids (yes - more than I'd normally be ).

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok! I've decided to go for the magic number of 48hrs! Feeling good right now so I'll reassess tomorrow morning

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you had a look at Jenny Ruhl's Blood sugar 101 Facebook page. If you go back to May 2016 there is an extremely interesting article about women and intermittent fasting on "paleoforwomen.com"
It looks at all the research that has been done on IF and how most of the good results come from men. Women who are pre or menopausal are excluded from all the research.
Jenny actually personally talks about her own experiences with 5: 2 IF.
Just thought you might be interested

Reactions: 5 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks cat! I've not got her book mor read it but I'll check out the FB page! X

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I'm 40 hours into my extended fast and feel great! Had a restless night (too much green tea, too late in the day) but results are in and very encouraging!

Now in my next 10kg increment - that makes current weightloss 20kg, moved down to just 'obese' instead of 'really obese' for bmi (although of all the medical measures, this is my least favoured).

Fat is down and muscle mass is increasing but water weight isn't moving . I remember from my gym days, as I increased muscle, my ability to hold water was better, so hoping this is just a blip and will even out with time. Still need to drink more though.

Fitness age overall has decreased 6 years since coming back to the forum

I think that's it. Feeling very positive and will definitely continue is fast today to get to 48hours, but I'd be over the moon to get to 72hrs....playing it by ear.

And I have improved flexibility and can now touch the floor in one of the moves.

Today is cardio day for exercise but I may just go for a long walk around the park....

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I'm 40 hours into my extended fast and feel great! Had a restless night (too much green tea, too late in the day) but results are in and very encouraging!

Now in my next 10kg increment - that makes current weightloss 20kg, moved down to just 'obese' instead of 'really obese' for bmi (although of all the medical measures, this is my least favoured).

Fat is down and muscle mass is increasing but water weight isn't moving . I remember from my gym days, as I increased muscle, my ability to hold water was better, so hoping this is just a blip and will even out with time. Still need to drink more though.

Fitness age overall has decreased 6 years since coming back to the forum

I think that's it. Feeling very positive and will definitely continue is fast today to get to 48hours, but I'd be over the moon to get to 72 days...playing it by ear.

And I have improved flexibility and can now touch the floor in one of the moves.

Today is cardio day for exercise but I may just go for a long walk around the park....

Debs, is 72 days an error?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! I'm now at 51 hours and feel totally fine! Im shocked that I can do this so easily. Im functioning well and am not feeling hungry at all.

I am going to make it to tomorrow dinner time