My MP Just Knocked on my Door!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just had my (labour) MP knock on my door canvassing.
I took the opportunity to ask her if she was aware of Tom Watson’s success with low carbing to control his diabetes. She was and said she had recently attended a meeting concerning Type 2 Diabetes, and low carbing was discussed including a GP who had introduced it in his practice, she couldn’t recall his name but when I suggested Dr Unwin she thought it was probably him.
She was very interested in my story too and the fact that DCUK’s Low Carb Program was now able to be prescribed by GPs. She took onboard the money saving aspect for the NHS and the reduction of the risk of complications for Type 2s. I pointed out that this approach went against NHS/NICE guidelines but was more and more proving to be effective.
She has promised to ask in PMQs about it all!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In 2015 Teresa May knocked on my door when canvassing but it was before I was diagnosed, so I didn't have any interest in diabetes to discuss.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In 2015 Teresa May knocked on my door when canvassing but it was before I was diagnosed, so I didn't have any interest in diabetes to discuss.

Oh, if only she’d come knocking again, but I guess she’s a bit busy these days!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good stuff @Rachox

I bumped into my MP Vince Cable in Tesco Metro in Teddington a couple of months ago, but I forgot to ask him anything about Diabetes, all we spoke about was Brexit :banghead:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took the opportunity to ask her if she was aware of Tom Watson’s success with low carbing to control his diabetes. She was and said she had recently attended a meeting concerning Type 2 Diabetes, and low carbing was discussed including a GP who had introduced it in his practice, she couldn’t recall his name but when I suggested Dr Unwin she thought it was probably him.
She was very interested in my story too and the fact that DCUK’s Low Carb Program was now able to be prescribed by GPs. She took onboard the money saving aspect for the NHS and the reduction of the risk of complications for Type 2s. I pointed out that this approach went against NHS/NICE guidelines but was more and more proving to be effective.

That is such an encouraging reply from the Labour MP. It is becoming apparent that the word is spreading, all be it slowly. Well done in getting to it PMQs. Giant leap forward. You are such a wonderful advocate.

I have written to TM with our story quite a few months ago but sadly no reply. She has been a tad busy! But I'm working on updating my journey as I'm coming up to 1 year since diagnosis so will give her and as many others as possible another whirl. One day in the not too distant future things will change. I was watching the French riots yesterday. The people rising up against fuel tax hikes. A thought crossed my mind. No not that we should riot haha. We should all march to Downing Street and hand deliver our stories! 'Here Teresa, make your own book out of these, and while you are st it why don't you add your story too'. Then I woke up!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I was reading in the paper today that an Oxford labour MP (Layla something or other) has outed herself as having had bariatric surgery in the past. I was just wondering if this is your MP??

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was reading in the paper today that an Oxford labour MP (Layla something or other) has outed herself as having had bariatric surgery in the past. I was just wondering if this is your MP??

Oh that’s interesting but no, she’s West Oxford , my MP is Anneliese Dodds East Oxford.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that’s interesting but no, she’s West Oxford , my MP is Anneliese Dodds East Oxford.

I was just wondering when I read the article and remembered this thread.
Apparently she had the surgery because her BMI was 40. She wasn't diabetic. She was very young at the time (in her 20's) and had been overweight since childhood.

Reactions: Rachox

Md2t

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Go Rachel Go.

Well done for getting your points across.

After a bit of a search a few years ago, I finally tracked down where and when my local MP would hold his next constituency surgery (in a corner of a local hotel bar). He listened patiently and even commented that the then Chancellor, George Osbourne, had lost a lot of weight through similar dietary changes. I never heard any further from him, not even when I followed up with dietary recommendations that I felt he could well have benefited from (although I tactfully refrained from mentioning his obvious central adiposity, combined with age and gender as potent indicators of metabolic syndrome). I also emailed Theresa May (then Home Secretary) and Keith Vaz, both openly diabetic MPs, but had no response from either, probably because my mails were filtered out without reaching them because I was not in their constituencies. An earlier email to the secretary of state for health just got a bland response from his office that they were acting according to the best evidence (that food and pharma money could buy?).

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done for getting your points across.

After a bit of a search a few years ago, I finally tracked down where and when my local MP would hold his next constituency surgery (in a corner of a local hotel bar). He listened patiently and even commented that the then Chancellor, George Osbourne, had lost a lot of weight through similar dietary changes. I never heard any further from him, not even when I followed up with dietary recommendations that I felt he could well have benefited from (although I tactfully refrained from mentioning his obvious central adiposity, combined with age and gender as potent indicators of metabolic syndrome). I also emailed Theresa May (then Home Secretary) and Keith Vaz, both openly diabetic MPs, but had no response from either, probably because my mails were filtered out without reaching them because I was not in their constituencies. An earlier email to the secretary of state for health just got a bland response from his office that they were acting according to the best evidence (that food and pharma money could buy?).
I'm afraid this is a ground up change. TM knows better than any other world leader what would save the nations health as she is an expert at insulin and blood sugars - outcome, she helped water down Cameron's sugar tax, change will not come willingly from our world leaders as they have known for decades about what basically causes the majority of the high profile lifestyle diseases.

set-in-stone

I aplaud your cool head and getting your point across. My first thoughts if I saw my MP would be my huge Council Tax bill. Household bins collected every two weeks. And FIVE recycle bins when we know the stuff ends up in landfills.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In haste as just off out but I had an email from Anneliese’s office:

“Dear Rachel

Anneliese asked that I write to thank you for the recent discussion about diabetes treatment.

Anneliese said that she enjoyed the conversation and was very pleased that only a matter of days after it, we had the welcome news that a trial of weight loss treatment will be expanded - https://www.theguardian.com/society...w-calorie-diets-in-hope-of-reversing-diabetes

Anneliese recognises that this is different to the Mediterranean, low-carb diet that Tom Watson has followed, but that she notes that Tom welcomes this news and hopes that it signals that the NHS is starting to move towards a much better recognition of the role of diet in relation to Type 2 diabetes and the fact that a better diet can in some cases reverse the diabetes diagnosis.
Best wishes.....”

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In haste as just off out but I had an email from Anneliese’s office:

“Dear Rachel

Anneliese asked that I write to thank you for the recent discussion about diabetes treatment.

Anneliese said that she enjoyed the conversation and was very pleased that only a matter of days after it, we had the welcome news that a trial of weight loss treatment will be expanded - https://www.theguardian.com/society...w-calorie-diets-in-hope-of-reversing-diabetes

Anneliese recognises that this is different to the Mediterranean, low-carb diet that Tom Watson has followed, but that she notes that Tom welcomes this news and hopes that it signals that the NHS is starting to move towards a much better recognition of the role of diet in relation to Type 2 diabetes and the fact that a better diet can in some cases reverse the diabetes diagnosis.
Best wishes.....”
Another one for the team @Rachox. Brilliant.

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Layla Moran in a Lib Dem. I contacted her over the Low Carb meeting but she didn't attend but has been sending letters left right and centre to make up for it, so is on board as well (ish)