1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My Type 1 friend surprised me

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by KittyKatty, Jul 24, 2015.

1. KittyKatty

KittyKatty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is Type1 (I'm 2). He has the sensor monitor which he showed me the other day. His blood sugar was something like 14. I kind of blurted out in surprise as my levels are never usually over 6.5, pre or post eating.

He is on an insulin pump.

He said that 14 can be rather low for him as sometimes his reading is in the early 20's.

But I thought Type 1's have a tendency to go too low rather than too high???

According to NICE, Type 1's acceptable range is not all that different to Type 2s.

Or am I wrong?

2. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

14 is high but it happens in Type1. With pump and cgm I think he can do much better than this though

• Like Like x 6
  3. Stefano

Stefano Type 1 · Well-Known Member

type one can go very low and very high. but the range to aim is the usual one (around 5- 7.5)
    maybe what your friend means is that he can have much higher readings from time to time, which is absolutely true for a T1.
    you just need a problem with the infusion set in the pump and the blood sugars will spike immediately or simply an infection or a misjudgement in carbs counting for a T1 easily bring this high reading.

4. Stefano

Stefano Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hi Ewelina we almost wrote the same at the same time !!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ive just tested and Im 14.3:banghead: time to change the set

6. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

On a pump.. Apart from set failures it should be possible to stabilise bloods under 8.0.

Your friend should not be higher unless in times of illness or a set failure.

• Like Like x 2
  7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

You should get your friend to get in touch with their pump clinic, running bg levels of 14 and in the early 20's is dangerous (ask them if they are aware of DKA) and will lead to complications further down the road.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

It sounds like your friend needs urgent help with the pump. Perhaps he would be better on MDI. I wonder why he went from MDI to the pump yet is happy with those levels. I'm on MDI and only occasionally go into the teens.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Oliver Da Costa

Oliver Da Costa Type 1 · Member

People have different ranges mine is 5.8-8.5 but if I was 15 I wouldn't panic there could be hundreds of reasons why I'm above my target, from cannula broken to eaten something and the carbs gone in before all the insulin can catch up. it's not possible to be in the target range constantly without living a life I'm happy with :) and DKA is bloody horrible mine was from a broken cannula it just leaked over night so no one can be perfect with there diabetes but being hi all the time will do damage in the long run

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook