Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Peperami for breakfast?

Does anyone keep that down?

Scrambled egg maybe?

Not specifically for breakfast but to try to address the OPs problem. If I had the same problem and someone suggested curried goat to stall the effects of possible dp I would give it a go, wouldn't you?

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not specifically for breakfast but to try to address the OPs problem. If I had the same problem and someone suggested curried goat to stall the effects of possible dp I would give it a go, wouldn't you?

Seriously?

Curried goat for breakfast?
erm, not really.

Spending my morning puking wouldn't be my choice for living

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to understand you will have to read back in the thread. You have come in in the middle.

So, you wake up to curried goat to chase a number on a meter?
I can't see my life doing that.

We all find our happy place though.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, you wake up to curried goat to chase a number on a meter?
I can't see my life doing that.

We all find our happy place though.
Have you watched this Panorama programme yet/

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We each do what we can to address the issues caused by Diabetes. Some of us go to great lengths to make sure that we are doing everything we can to forstall future problems, that includes taking notice of readings. Readings are not just 'a number on a machine' they are indications that what we are doing in terms of diet/excercise are the best for us as individuals.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why?

What's a number on a machine mean?

I eat when I'm hungry

'What's a number on a machine mean?'
Quite a blasé comment if I may say so especially in terms of Diabetes.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently trying to control my bg by LCHF and recently started 500mg Metformin daily. I have been aware for a while of feeling a little nauseous from time to time, but this morning it is bad enough to be disabling. I'm worried my body isn't tolerating HF, but as I am eating under 20g carbs daily and am underweight I don't see any alternative if I am to continue LC. First thing this morning my fasting bg was 4.8. I immediately consumed some cheese, 10g brazil nuts and a large mug of tea with cream (my usual breakfast) as when my bg is low it tends to rise if I fast. Now I feel as if I would never want to eat again. Going back to the balanced Mediterranean style diet I was eating before is not an option, as my bg levels were rising year on year and I had various symptoms which have abated since I started LCHF.
Have a look at the Pioppi diet It can be run as an LC version of Mediterranean, but is not a keto diet like LCHF, I am using it myself and find it quite good for bgl reduction. It is not as severe as LCHF and I use Intermittent Fasting to improve the bgl control and weight loss.

Some people here use higher levels of protein instead of upping the fat to keep up the weight and muscle tone. It is mainly those doing high levels of fitness training such as HIT, and there is a warning that it is not wise to overdose on protein. They reckon 1 gm protein per 1kg of body weight per day is a reasonable level to aim for, but it can be pushed up a bit more to gain weight over short term, I found personally that dairy cream gives me the collywobbles if taken in large doses, so I switched to coconut oil and avacado with mayo instead,

Edit to add: HF can also stand for High Fibre, and as such could also cause gastric discomfort, Necessary to have, but in moderation.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'What's a number on a machine mean?'
Quite a blasé comment if I may say so especially in terms of Diabetes.

Well if that's all your life becomes, I think that's quite sad to be honest.
But we all have our goals in life, so whatever floats your boat.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well if that's all your life becomes, I think that's quite sad to be honest.
But we all have our goals in life, so whatever floats your boat.
Ah well, each to their own.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love leftover curry for breakfast, but probably not cold...

@Alexandra100
I also get a bg rise as soon as i get out of bed, which will increase until I eat.
But i find i can halt the increase with an ounce of cheese, or a single brazil nut.
You may find that you don’t need a full breakfast immediately on rising.

For me, that mouthful of cheese/brazil nut is sufficient to keep bg flat til get washed, dressed, downstairs, kettle boiled, and gives me time to prepare mybreakfast of choice. If i want one. I usually just have coffeesubstitute and cream because it is less bother than anything else.

Re the nausea, i would be suspecting the Metformin since it is new on the scene and only just predates the nausea. Worth stopping it for a week or two, to see. It could also be the combo of fat with the Metformin. Other mini experiments you could run are whether fibre helps (e.g. a teasp of psyllium husks in a glass of water with the Metformin) or if having the Metformin with other meals rather than breakfast reduces the nausea.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry! Wasn't suggesting Peperami for breakfast - just as a carry-round snack (which is why I mentioned that it doesn't need to be in the fridge).

Incidentally, though, fat will absolutely not have any impact on your BG at all. Protein will produce lower rises that decline slowly, and carbs will produce those sudden, sharp "spikes". If you're relying on fat to elevate a low morning FBG, it's not going to help at all.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love leftover curry for breakfast, but probably not cold...

@Alexandra100
I also get a bg rise as soon as i get out of bed, which will increase until I eat.
But i find i can halt the increase with an ounce of cheese, or a single brazil nut.
You may find that you don’t need a full breakfast immediately on rising.

For me, that mouthful of cheese/brazil nut is sufficient to keep bg flat til get washed, dressed, downstairs, kettle boiled, and gives me time to prepare mybreakfast of choice. If i want one. I usually just have coffeesubstitute and cream because it is less bother than anything else.

Re the nausea, i would be suspecting the Metformin since it is new on the scene and only just predates the nausea. Worth stopping it for a week or two, to see. It could also be the combo of fat with the Metformin. Other mini experiments you could run are whether fibre helps (e.g. a teasp of psyllium husks in a glass of water with the Metformin) or if having the Metformin with other meals rather than breakfast reduces the nausea.

Dumping the meds?
I guess as you are some sort of mod from your handle, this is an like official sort of recommendation?
Me, I'd never second guess the doc.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me, I'd never second guess the doc.
Really?
I had too as mine was completely hopeless on diabetes. And he's the head of diabetes treatment at the surgery.
That's why I took my health into my own hands.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While it's true that posters should never specifically direct people on medication, that's not to say that there's a wealth of experience and we can't offer our own advice given someone's particular situation.

The OP asked her GP to prescribe - the GP didn't initialise the treatment. And it's extremely common for people to find Metformin intolerable. Moreover, no-one has said "Stop taking that poison immediately!" which would be unacceptable - every single piece of advice has been measured and considered and has suggested that the OP stop taking it for a couple of weeks to see if her nausea and discomfort - again, not uncommon for people on Metformin - abate.

No-one has said "dump the meds" and it's a little argumentative to imply otherwise.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really?
I had too as mine was completely hopeless on diabetes. And he's the head of diabetes treatment at the surgery.
That's why I took my health into my own hands.

Well, we all play god don't we?
Just hopefully to ourselves, and not messing with others beliefs
Cos then we're accountable to the big man if we do.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(Double post apologies)

A further thought: Many, many, many of us have exactly that long-term ambition, to "dump the meds" and become diet-controlled only. And if we strictly followed the NHS and our DN / GP's suggested regimes, us T2s would be able to count significantly less functioning limbs and working eyes between us.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at the Pioppi diet It can be run as an LC version of Mediterranean, but is not a keto diet like LCHF, I am using it myself and find it quite good for bgl reduction. It is not as severe as LCHF and I use Intermittent Fasting to improve the bgl control and weight loss.

Some people here use higher levels of protein instead of upping the fat to keep up the weight and muscle tone. It is mainly those doing high levels of fitness training such as HIT, and there is a warning that it is not wise to overdose on protein. They reckon 1 gm protein per 1kg of body weight per day is a reasonable level to aim for, but it can be pushed up a bit more to gain weight over short term, I found personally that dairy cream gives me the collywobbles if taken in large doses, so I switched to coconut oil and avacado with mayo instead,

Edit to add: HF can also stand for High Fibre, and as such could also cause gastric discomfort, Necessary to have, but in moderation.
I think we probably all have different tolrance levels / needs when it comes to fibre.
For ages I followed the reccomended 21g but never found it was enough I currently eat 30-40g fibre a day and my stomach and bowels seem much happier on it. I suspect the type of fibre also makes a difference - a lot of mine is soluble fibre from chia seeds, konjac noodles and foods containing chicory root ( source of inulin) so alco v low carb. I suspect insoluble fibre might have a harsher effect.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(Double post apologies)

A further thought: Many, many, many of us have exactly that long-term ambition, to "dump the meds" and become diet-controlled only. And if we strictly followed the NHS and our DN / GP's suggested regimes, us T2s would be able to count significantly less functioning limbs and working eyes between us.
Personally I think the most appropriate aim is to keep blood sugars within a good range on the minimum dose of meds necessary - for some that will be zero for others it will be somewhere in a range of doses of meds, all of which will be lower than they might otherwise be.. “ Dumping the meds” can become a sort of peverse badge of honour, no matter how it is achieved,