Need A Helping Hand?

Diabet1c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, I'm here to lend a helping hand to anyone who needs it. Whether it be to vent, chat, laugh etc..
I'm type1 over 13 years now so its safe to say I've had my fair amount of experiences.
I've neglected my diabetes for years and have only recently got the 'scare' i needed to get my act together. Currently still adapting to everything but it's all in a diabetics day!
So if anybody is struggling, dont be afraid to message me if needs be
20180709_111139.jpg

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Welcome @Diabet1c,
Glad to have you on board ( but this is not the good ship Lollypop, it was outed for high sugar content !!).
Despite being on insulin for 51 years here in Australia I find there is always something to learn from in others' experiences.
You mention having a scare about your diabetes and this scare being a corrective influence, Very glad you are working on getting through each day better and accepting that nothing is ever perfect but we make of it what we can.
I found that wanting to be super-responsible and super-independent worked for me up to a point BUT at the 45 years mark on insulin, on 8 shots a day minimum, with night hypos, risk of losing driver's license and part of my job that the better part of valour was to accept the need for an insulin pump. Stubbornness has its limits !
Now very few hypos, good HBA1Cs, hypo awareness back.
How has your experience been and what improvements would you suggest to the way us diabetics are treated, taught and also how we are 'managed' by our health systems? :):)

Reactions: Meghalton

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Diabet1c and welcome :)

I call it 'work in progress' when anyone asks, every day is different. Only 6 years for me but learning all the time.

Diabet1c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @Diabet1c,
Glad to have you on board ( but this is not the good ship Lollypop, it was outed for high sugar content !!).
Despite being on insulin for 51 years here in Australia I find there is always something to learn from in others' experiences.
You mention having a scare about your diabetes and this scare being a corrective influence, Very glad you are working on getting through each day better and accepting that nothing is ever perfect but we make of it what we can.
I found that wanting to be super-responsible and super-independent worked for me up to a point BUT at the 45 years mark on insulin, on 8 shots a day minimum, with night hypos, risk of losing driver's license and part of my job that the better part of valour was to accept the need for an insulin pump. Stubbornness has its limits !
Now very few hypos, good HBA1Cs, hypo awareness back.
How has your experience been and what improvements would you suggest to the way us diabetics are treated, taught and also how we are 'managed' by our health systems? :):)
My experience had been a rollercoaster which we all know what its like
I think diabetes needs to talked about more bc 90% of the time when you're telling people that you have it they presume it's to do with eating too much sugar etc... we all know the drill

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I think diabetes needs to talked about more bc 90% of the time when you're telling people that you have it they presume it's to do with eating too much sugar etc... we all know the drill
Hi @Diabet1c, I agree. I feel like having a pamphlet to hand out each time !! Maybe with some diagrams on it and a balance scale showing diet exercise and medication. Also maybe an explanation about hypos - which explains that sugar is definitely a good idea for such a condiiton.!

Reactions: Diabet1c

ziawattoo54

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahahah exactly