Need advice on medication and diet.

mumdad43

I am type 2 and been on oral metformin and glizlicide but my levels have been high so I am due to start on insulatard innolet pre filled pens over the weekend. The injecting doesnt really bother me just a little concerned about possible hypos. any advice of what to eat, avoid etc. thanks. Just joined forum tonight

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again. Many members find a low carb diet helps to manage the condition. The basic principle is that carbohydrate converts into sugar and as such doesn't help diabetes.

It means turning on its head much of what you know about 'healthy eating'. Cutting out or significantly reducing bread, pasta, rice (even the wholemeal versions). Berries seem to be ok for most people but other fruits can really spike blood sugar as they all naturally contain sugar.

If you don't have a meter it is worth looking at one so you can test yourself to find out what effect different foods have for you personally as we are all different.

Have a good look round the site and ask as many questions as you like.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
To treat Hypos when I first got diabetes I used to carry jelly baby's around with me when i was exercising the dogs also a banana will put your level up or a sandwich...Hypos can be scary.... I hope you find the correct info in the forum :)

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would imagine that your insulin dose will be started at a minimal level to get you going and will be increased gradually, to allow you to adjust to it - and then, depending on what plan your medics have, they'll maybe take you off the meds and replace it with insulin long term.

Have you not discussed how to move forward on the insulin with the medic that prescribed it?

I started on a combination insulin in March, but started on a tiny dose, kept a good record of my BGs and discussed how to proceed with my DN every Friday morning. We tweaked the doses most weeks and I gradually stopped the meds, so the transition was a very gentle one. The insulin you're on (I think) is a basal background once a day insulin, which will just top up what your body produces, so isn't likely to cause hypos in itself as it's slow acting.

The secret is to do things gently and to bring your BGs down steadily, as a fast decline in your numbers can cause problems in itself. You really need to discuss a regime working forwards with your DN or whoever manages you routinely.

mumdad43

many thanks for all the replies. I had a long talk with my gp and he explained to start low at 8ml a day then to check my level and adjust either up/down. I am not overweight at all and my bmi is 26 so thats ok. I do exercise in moderation and eat a fairly healthy diet but still getting high levels. I feel very tired and sleep deprived so hope the insulin kicks in and perks me up. Again thanks for all the tips and advice

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The insulin (a 24 hr Basal) should start working slowly within the day. It will provide 24 hr background insulin. If you find that it isn't adequate, even with a matched dose, for meal-time spikes then a short term insulin can be added if neceesary but the daily injection may well be enough.

Reactions: 2 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you have a plan to move forwards, which is good. When I saw a diabetic consultant briefly last year he said that diabetics have 4 elements to help them get control; diet, weight, exercise and medication. The patient themself is in charge of 75% of that. Medics can only change 25% of the contributing elements.

It sounds like you have meds now sorted, your weight is good and you exercise, so the only remaining factor you can influence is diet. You don't say what your numbers are at the moment, just high and if you're tired, that's probably why. So if you want to improve them further, maybe there's room in your diet to make further adjustment?

I've been diabetic for over 23 years and went on insulin in March (BGs too high for a basal only to be enough - many upper 20 readings) and discovered the low carb approach covered here at around the same time and have found that really helps me too. I was already eating really healthily and with modest carbs and everything wholewheat and lots of fresh fruit and veggies and yet I've reduced my carbs further and it really does help drop the BGs. Maybe 'fairly healthy' can be improved upon, I know that I certainly have.

Reactions: 2 people

mumdad43

thank you all again. Its lovely to get support. I started the insulin injection last night, just 8 units. my level was 7.8 in the morning where it has previously been 15 average The injection was better than the finger pricking, hope it stays that way. I am still taking metformin 500 twice a day and gliclizide twice a day but I wonder if that can be reduced. I had what I thought was a hypo coming on about half hour ago but my test showed 10.5, had cereal high fibre this morning and some home made veg soup and a wholemeal sandwich at lunch...am i doing right?