Need help new mum.

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I had my little girl at 34 weeks by c section, she is now 9 weeks old, I need some help since having my baby girl my levels have gone back the way they was before always in the 20 mark I'm still taking quite a lot of insulin but obviously not enough, but also I can never find the time now to keep checking them regularly, so does anyone have any advise on how they jungle there levels and a newborn.
Also sorry if I have not posted in the right section :/

Sent from my SM-G925F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I had my little girl at 34 weeks by c section, she is now 9 weeks old, I need some help since having my baby girl my levels have gone back the way they was before always in the 20 mark I'm still taking quite a lot of insulin but obviously not enough, but also I can never find the time now to keep checking them regularly, so does anyone have any advise on how they jungle there levels and a newborn.
Also sorry if I have not posted in the right section :/

You've posted in the right section @jemz24 :)

I have a baby and I know how hard it is to have to deal with diabetes too. The first thing to say is that it does get easier :) Your baby is still very young. The first few months are quite demanding - lots of feeds, lots of nappies, probably frequent waking. That gradually winds down a little, and is less intense. So don't feel bad about that. I bet you all new mums, diabetic or not, find the first few months very full-on.

What I do to make blood tests easier is have two meters - one upstairs, one downstairs. That makes it easier to test as you're not hunting out your meter or feeling too tired to go and get it. I test frequently. You just have to make time and it'll soon be routine. If you know you haven't tested for a while, then make sure baby is safe and do a test.

As for your control, I'd try to improve that gradually. You have enough on your plate with a young baby, so by all means look to make small improvements, but don't add extra stress when you're busy enough as it is. Maybe stick to 'safe' meals so you don't have to worry about miscounting carbs?

Correct if you need to but err on the side of caution as obviously you don't want to go low. Your hormones will still be all over the place so that might be contributing to erratic sugars too.

Edited to add that I put my downstairs meter where I'm sitting or where I'm going to be walking past a lot so that seeing it is a good reminder to test.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya @jemz24 i had twins when my daughter was 22months - one of them seriously ill. Then 2 months later my daughter was diagnosed type1 so you can imagine what all of this did to my control dealing with everything.
As always @azure has given some handy tips. What I would say is you have to put yourself first especially after a section. You can't look after a baby if you are not right. I know it's not nice for baby to cry but better that and wait for a minute while you check your sugars etc than something happen to you. Just be careful as high sugars can impact recovery of section.
Maybe if you can try to stick to same carb meals so you know roughly how much insulin. I test and still do as up so often with the babies now through the night. It's hard especially with a prem baby (all mine were prem) as they need frequent feeds. It does get better in time....xx

Reactions: 2 people

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh thank you so much for your advice azure and 1sarah1 I will give that ago it is very stressful time I no also my LO has really bad reflux so trying to put her down some where is a mission aswell as she is quite sicky,
Sarah I'm sorry to here ur little one was poorly then diagnosed with type one must have been difficult for you hope she's well now x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @jemz24 have you got a baby chair you could put little one in after feeding? After my baby had surgery they recommended that (not a car seat) or raise the Moses on some books or something? I had white noise on for weeks as we also had bad colic. The joys!x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My son had reflux. I used a chair - one of those kind of soft ones with an activity bar across the front. I also put a thick book under the head of his Moses basket. It helped a little.

He grew out of it eventually though, and all's well now.

I had a second chair in the kitchen so I could put him in there when I was getting food. That helped a lot.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @jemz24 like @azure I also have a meter upstairs & down, for me I've found it easiest to have the upstairs one in the bathroom and the downstairs one near where I make up baby's bottle as these are both places I pass often so even if I'm distracted and don't realise I should be due to test I do it while I'm there :)

Hope you and baby are well X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app