Need help with breaking a food addiction!

Re: Need help with breaking a food addiction!

Hi All
Sugar cravings often have their root in mineral deficiencies.

Try having 250 - 500ml ( i.e. two cups of fresh green juice every morning first thing on an empty stomach. Breveille do a great juicer fro £99 from Argos. Simple recipe as follows

1 cucumber
1 green apple
3 large handfuls of kale.

Drink immediately. Kale is mineral rich! :)

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
I understand this Dial999. About 20 years ago i gave up smoking. I decided to just stop it worked for me. So when i was diagnosed with type2 i new it would have to be the same. I havnt had cake sweets biscuits choc for 2 months. I have lost my sweet tooth and it doesnt bother me. Im losing weight which is a blessing.
I emptied my food cupboard into a box and gave to my daughter out of sight out of mind. Now my cupboard filled with legal food. This forum has been a godsend to me. I have my snacks of nuts and celery. Good luck to everyone over xmas period. Im staying at home as this is my first diet change one and dont need to put pressure on myself.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

Frosty66 said:
I understand this Dial999. About 20 years ago i gave up smoking. I decided to just stop it worked for me. So when i was diagnosed with type2 i new it would have to be the same. I havnt had cake sweets biscuits choc for 2 months. I have lost my sweet tooth and it doesnt bother me. Im losing weight which is a blessing.
I emptied my food cupboard into a box and gave to my daughter out of sight out of mind. Now my cupboard filled with legal food. This forum has been a godsend to me. I have my snacks of nuts and celery. Good luck to everyone over xmas period. Im staying at home as this is my first diet change one and dont need to put pressure on myself.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

wonderful to see you getting along so well frosty :)

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
Thanks Andy
With the help of yourself and other forum members. Too be able to ask people who have been there if i have a problem has been wonderful. Those first few days where hard with belly ache and flatulence and tiredness lol. But to know its quite normal and people telling you your doing fine is all i needed. I want to see old age. My urge to be healthy is stronger than my urge to binge.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Emjay

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

OMG there are people like me out there. Diabetic and trying to get to grips with bad eating habits. I know loosing weight must happen but I seem helpless to change my eating habits. Can do the exercise even at 19 stone go to gym, work out well on my own or with trainer. That needs discipline so why can't I apply it to eating....... Went to see a psychologist and told have eating disorder but knowing that hasn't changed my eating habits. Why such a block when every rational bit of me knows it's just food, fuel and changing could make a huge difference. Sorry if this sounds selfish but it is so reassuring to know other people struggle with food. I felt it must just be me who can't eat right. My BS is bad. Change must happen. It's good not to be alone in this. Hope we all find a way trough for the sake of our health

Babsuk

If you feel unable to speak to a therapists, you could try e counselling which means counselling onlind vieeither eemails or messenger, many therapists use this method now
a good nutrionist could help you too offering advice on food exchanges
good luck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

It is very important that you realise the problem. You admit that you need to change your eating habits. Congratulations!!!! It is a first step of your process of change. I would advise you to read about healthy eating and how to cook healthy. Prepare yourself for a change. Set a goal. A very good way is to identify situations when you start eating unhealthy food. Analise them and think what you can do to eliminate these risky situations. You can make a plan or a list of things that you need to focus on. It is crucial to think positively. Don't think "I won't be eating cookies any more". Our mind doesn't understand or accept word "NOT". Think "I will be avoiding eating cookies".
When you are ready, start to realise your goals and stick to your plan.
Good luck!!! :D

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's not an addiction.

We are genetically driven to seek food, warmth, sex etc... Some people gave stronger drives than others.

It's not like alcohol, cigarettes or drugs, which are addictions.
We don't need them to live and procreate and I would argue that they are easier to give up.

So don't look at what you are as a defect. If we were still in cave persons times you would be a survivor. Because you wouldn't starve.

.....It's just that now we've got supermarkets full of food. We don't need to constantly seek out food but the strong drive is still there for some people.

With dieting, the easiest thing to do is join a group.

It doesn't really matter which.. Weightwatchers, Slimming World, the nearest one to you ...The diets are much the same - for two reasons.

The first is basic food education..although most people know that they should not be tucking into huge meat pies etc.

The second is that's it's easier to do with the support of others - like you.

Some slimming groups seem to be full of young mothers etc., which may not suit you.
If you don't fit in with one group, find another one.

The quickest and immediate best thing to do for diabetics is to cut out sugar. Read up on the glycemic index on the Internet.

Then look at the back of packets and fund the contents list..go down to carbohydrates..sugars .

And if the figure is over 10 - don't eat it.

I loved chocolate. The way I stopped eating it was to buy the cheapest horrible chocolate I could find
( Lidl's do some) and put it in the fridge. I could argue with myself that if I really wanted chocolate, I would eat it.

18 months later, it had two pieces out of it, it was like eating brown grease.
I threw it away..and have not eaten chocolate since.

It may not work for you but you get the idea.....Only eat foods that would not normally appeal to you.

If you buy nice cheese - and you like cheese, it's a certainty that you will eat it. And probably too much of it.

Hope this helps..

Good luck!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I am a sort of food addict as well but as many type 2 was a wake up call start of november.

Food Diary written by hand not computer... brilliant, they are on here. If you do the by hand one though print it landscape.

2x a day testing huge help

I am amazed at the low carb high fat diet and how much l can eat that l couldn't on other "diets"l have, cheese, cream, eggs, fatty foods, helmans, chocolate 90% lindt in the evening.

The important thing for me is that before cutting out fat l binged on carbs for taste and sugar. Now the amount of taste l get from LCHF is the total opposite.

I did fall off the wagon yesterday and was upset for a bit, but folks here put it in perspective. I am back on form today and have decided that at some point l am going to have a big plate of cheesy chips... in a month or so time l recon. l am not ruling out treats just adding them in a sort of timeline and stuff the guilt for that day :)

We are all different. I couldn't do what Mousemat has done food wise and l hate group things, l go to a PT but we have a separate session just the 2 of us no more expensive than with a group. And as for diet groups not a hope and anyhow they don't do low carb high fiber..in fact probably have a dicky fit. No l like this forum and myself and what l read up on.

As it was septemper the original post was can we have an update please :)

Reactions: 2 people

hj4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

Having being a non-signed up browser of this site for ages, I wanted to sign in to share my experiences of overcoming emotional eating/food addiction – its a completely online self-help tool for by a psychologist Dr Jen who I found out about as she writes articles on the psychology of diabetes here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/experts/jen-nash.html

She’s got diabetes and has struggled with eating issues herself. Like others here I too didn’t want to talk to a therapist and then when I found one she wasn’t much help. Jen’s programme has weekly videos and workbooks, and you can tell she really gets it, I guess cos she’s been there herself. She has a free info video that tells you more about it that you can get here http://www.diabetesweightloss.co.uk/

I see this is an old thread so I won’t go on but happy to talk more about it/my experiences if that’s useful

I never thought I’d get over my good issues but it’s such a good feeling to not be controlled by the food any more. Good luck.