Need help

cuxy88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently had a baby she is now 5 months only and with such a hectic life things slip my mind like injecting insulin wen needed i say i will do it in a min wen finished shorting baby and last night i was not doing so well so hubby got my bm kit for me and tested my levels it read hi which ment i was above 33 so we got my pen out to give the correction does wen i realised the needle was still on there and wen i thought back it was on from my last correction which wen i looked at it was 3 weeks ago i sat and cried for 1 hr wen i realised i had go so long without my nova rapid my levels r back down to 5 now today but i did not realised how bad i had gotten i am seeing a therapist for depression just did not realise how bad i was i do think i need other support from professionals but not sure were to turn any help already contacted my key worker and diabetes team but as it is a Sunday will be tomorrow before i hear any thing at gp in morning any way so will talked to them but i think its good to talk here too see if people on her have advice sorry for rambling on i needed to get this off my chest thanks

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @cuxy88

Firstly, take a breath. You're a new mum, and while the Glossies like to present the early months as Beyonce-levels of Earth Goddess fabulous, with glowing, contented mothers with Mother Nature herself submitting to their fecundity, the truth is... that's not how it is.

You are neither a bad mum nor a bad diabetic. And I wonder whether you have a touch of the post-partum blues going on, too? This - along with forgetting your own needs, being utterly taken up with your new arrival (congratulations, by the way!), feeling hyper-emotional and completely overwhelmed - is completely normal. Mixed with T1, and it's going to be complicated. A simple tip - try setting an alarm on your phone to remind you to test (give it the most annoying ringtone available) and keep your kit in a small bag that you can wear constantly (so it's not in another room and you'll get it in a few minutes when the baby's down, but you need the loo and the phone's ringing and did you read this email etc...).

You've done all the right things - hubby is helping, you've contacted your diabetes team and you've already got a therapist in place - you've recognised that there is an issue and you've taken steps to sort that out.

That's not the behaviour of someone who isn't coping. That's someone who is taking control of difficult circumstances.

Take a moment to tell yourself you've got this. Because you do - you're going to be okay.

Much love,

Sock x

Shazzle80

Hi lovely lady.

Honestly, becoming a parent on its own is flipping scary without having diabetes on top. What is important is that you begin to get back on top of it my love. if you have to set a recurrent reminder in your phone calendar for every few hours (if you're like me I was always messing about with my mobile when feeding or if my little one took a doze) then at least you can't ignore it!

Don't beat yourself up too much, there are times in all our lives when life just takes over. What's important is you recognised it and put a plan in place to try and sort it, massive high fives for that!!

I think you should be proud of yourself, sometimes with depression it's not always easy to accept you might be struggling and you've shared it with a forum of thousands of members.

Now let's keep those blood sugars stable so that wee baby has a super healthy, happy and content momma xxx

Reactions: Snapsy

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@cuxy88 You might have forgotten but you have a thread here where you asked for support with control and a new baby :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/new-baby.123726/

Practical tips are keeping a BS meter upstairs and downstairs eg in your bedroom and in the kitchen; putting your insulin pen somewhere where you can't miss it and getting into the mindset of checking you're ok and sorted with regard to BS, insulin and food: "me first - I'm ok, now see to baby" (as long as there's no immediate danger to baby of course).

Whenever you eat, ask yourself if you've bolused. I know it's hard with a baby but if you get in the habit of a kind of internal monitoring, it's not so hard. You probably already have internal monitoring for your baby where you're thinking about feeding, nappy changes, naps, etc, so get one going for yourself too. "Whats my BS? When did I check? Do I need to check? Have I had breakfast/lunch/evening meal? Did I bolus? etc etc

There are also alarms and reminder devices you can put on your insulin pens.

Every investment in your self benefits your baby as if you're on peak form then you can give them 100% more easily.

Reactions: Snapsy

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Alarms constantly on phone! Injections lined up on bedside cabinet..
ie can your insulin be timed that you take pre bed or before you get out of bed? If getting out of bed is hurried etc then can it be timed so its the last thing you do at night?

Not sure if you are on basal injections as well as bolus? But this could help for basal.

You need a routine (ish) for baby to thrive ie regular feed times. So set phone alarm for those feed times and get yourself in to a routine too.

I hope you have managed to get hold of some professional help.
Please let us know how you are doing now?

Reactions: Dodo

cuxy88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I take my long lasting hubby gives before bed its my novarapid i forget i get busy with baby and say i will do in a bit and for get to do sorry for late replies not coming through

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cuxy I 100% get this, my daughter is 14 months and I've struggled a lot with diabetes control since she was born, as I said to my diabetes nurse being a diabetic and a mum is HARD WORK! How about leaving a note stuck in every room in the house as a reminder, or if you use disposable pens have a few in use around the house so that you know there's one close to hand even if baby really needs your attention it will only take 2 seconds as opposed to only having 1 in use and it being upstairs ect. As also suggested above I put a bg meter in my kitchen so that everytime I made a bottle or was getting myself something to eat I had it there to do. Stay strong don't be hard on yourself, you know you need to improve your own care it's just finding a way that will work for you xx

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take my long lasting hubby gives before bed its my novarapid i forget i get busy with baby and say i will do in a bit and for get to do sorry for late replies not coming through

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

I made sure to put my pen on the table where I ate. I also put a note on my meter saying "Did you bolus?"

If you have a phone or tablet, you could use that for alarms but I found physically putting my pen where I couldn't miss it worked. I also made sure that I did stop and inject rather than do "just one more thing" and have it go out of my mind.

Don't make yourself feel bad. Control with a baby or young children is hard. X

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@cuxy88
How are you today? Did you manage to inject? Try to make at least one bolus a day if it is all too much. X