Need To Seriously Drop Down My Hba1c And Turn My Life Around.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes has taken over my life. I finally had the results from my blood tests come through and tbh I am not surprised about them.

My last HbA1c was 124mmol/mol or 18.8 mmol/L.

Working at KFC has now only worsened the problem as I can't test regularly or inject insulin to correct my highs, except for on my 30 minute break, I have also fainted three times at work a few weeks ago when we had the extremely hot weather and I just can't cope with it anymore.

I'm eating KFC for lunch and dinner as I work 8 or 10 hour shifts every 6 days out of 7 and it's either snack wraps, mini fillets or popcorn chicken that I have. My regular work day goes like this: wake up in morning have cereal, take my dog out for a walk, get ready for a 8-10 shift starting at midday, get back home, have a glass of spiced rum and go bed.

Sometimes, I just want to stay in bed and not go work as it is always busy now since we reopened and had the place refurbed. I am on the hunt for a new job, but atm stuck at KFC.

Reactions: Freema

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's good to see you back. :)

Speak to your manager. I am sure KFC would prefer to give you a few minutes to test and inject insulin rather than having you faint. That's not a good look for the business.

You know what to do, you have started to do it well so many times, then you give up. I know it gets tough but I don't think you will get out of this cycle until you have decent counselling to find out why you keep pushing the self destruct button.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Have you tried cooking a big late breakfast before going to work? Omelette, or lots of eggs and bacon etc. Then you wouldn’t feel so hungry later. You could take a packed salad with you for dinner and maybe some other low carb snacks. It has been exceptionally hot lately, I think a lot of us were having trouble coping. Your manager should allow you time to test. Good luck

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You don't need a lecture from me @akindrat18 but @zand summed it up perfectly. Help begins with you

Admitting you've done (and doing this) this to yourself is one thing .... doing something about it is that next step you're still not prepared to take.

Reactions: pavlovsdog and zand

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I do not mean to sound harsh but unless you change things now your situation at work will be the least of your problems. With a HbA1c at such dangerous levels you will end up being unable to work, you risk DKA by not taking your insulin and having a rubbish diet will not help you improve your prospects.
But I think you know all of this.

Reactions: Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes has taken over my life. I finally had the results from my blood tests come through and tbh I am not surprised about them.

Working at KFC has now only worsened the problem as I can't test regularly or inject insulin to correct my highs, except for on my 30 minute break, I have also fainted three times at work a few weeks ago when we had the extremely hot weather and I just can't cope with it anymore.

I'm eating KFC for lunch and dinner as I work 8 or 10 hour shifts every 6 days out of 7 and it's either snack wraps, mini fillets or popcorn chicken that I have. My regular work day goes like this: wake up in morning have cereal, take my dog out for a walk, get ready for a 8-10 shift starting at midday, get back home, have a glass of spiced rum and go bed.

Sometimes, I just want to stay in bed and not go work as it is always busy now since we reopened and had the place refurbed. I am on the hunt for a new job, but atm stuck at KFC.
You really need to start looking after yourself. As you're on insulin your boss has to accomodate you, so speak up! It's not an ingrown toenail, it's a life-or-death condition. Passing out regularly should've dricen that point home for them. And honestly, your food really is a problem... Cereal, really? Eggs, bacon and such keep you going for longer without spiking your blood. I just had a look at the KFC UK menu and there's almost nothing there that doesn't cause a spike. (Meals with over 300 grams of carbs?! It seems weird to me that a business that is so well-equipped to cater to the keto-eaters, coats absolutely everything in carbs!) Plain salad, maaaybe. Though the corn and dressing aren't quite wonderful either. Any chance you can throw something together yourself, in the kitchen? Does all the chicken come in breaded, or is a "nude" fries breast an option? Salad, tomatoes, couple of wings, coleslaw? Best thing to do is pack your own lunch from home, though. Maybe get a different job to avoid temptation? If it has to be fast food, go to a BK or McD's... All those beefburgers are instantly low carb/keto, if you ditch the bread, and maybe the ketchup. ;) Far from ideal, as not exactly nutricious, but hey, whatever works.

Diabetes doesn't have to rule your life. I didn't know that either, starting out, but turns out, it's a managable condition. But that's the catch; it needs to be actively managed. You can do it. If you can take insulin, you can reduce carbs. Maybe get rid of the jabs entirely. Worth a shot, to lose the shots , no? ;)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi akindrat, your post doesn't sound like you are asking a question but are just telling us about your current situation. That tells me that you know perfectly well what you need to do but are finding it hard? The people on this site will give great advice and all the information you need to turn this around (I remember your previous posts and the same responses then) BUT only YOU can do something about it.

We can all sympathise about your horrible bosses but they exist everywhere and care nothing for your problems and will not follow any disability legislation unless taken to Court. So, in my opinion YOU are the only one that can help yourself if you want to. You could easily take a packed lunch to work, you must get time to go to the toilet so you could pop in a test at that time (somewhere hygienic of course). 10 hours is a long shift but there is still time at the end of the day to fit in a 10 minute walk and so on. Most of your issues seem to be with the food, if you carry on eating that junk all day your glucose will stay dangerously high, some of your readings must be in the high 20s and 30s to give an Hba1c that high! You talk about getting another job but what difference will that make if you don't get another 'you'? Think about your eyesight, your limbs and all the damage YOU are doing to yourself. As long as you bemoan your work, your boss, the only food available etc as being the problem, you will steadily get worse. Sorry if this sounds harsh but you are smart enough to know you are in a pickle so are therefore smart enough to do something about it yourself. x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest eating a non cereal breakfast to start the day - to get a proper start. then you might not even want to eat lunch - I eat early and late these days so I can go out of the house all day and not be concerned about food at all.
Having eaten KFC foods a couple of times, I just peeled off the skin and coating from pieces of chicken - which seemed to work for me according to my meter. I had coleslaw with it, and I think a salad as well on one occassion.
I don't understand why you can't test as it takes me only seconds. It would seem to be fairly essential, and I don't understand that you can eat both lunch and dinner but only have a single 30 minute break - if you work for up to ten hours you must surely be able to go to the toilet or take a drink of water? Hopefully if you do some cleaning of equipment floors or surfaces you are able to wash your hands afterwards or put on/exchange gloves? If you eat twice surely your would wash your hands then - can't you test and inject to cover those meals? It just doesn't seem to add up that you can't find the time or opportunity to test and inject or take a remedy, and surely your manager and workmates want you on your feet and fully functioning?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@akindrat18 I have often mentioned counselling to you as a must.

I haven't really explained why. So here goes.
I really believe you do need counselling and lots of it too. It doesn't come cheap. My GP arranged for 8 sessions for me with the understanding that I would pay a voluntary donation towards the costs. I needed 28 sessions altogether so had to self fund the rest. It took these sessions and 4 years worth of anti-depressants to get to where I am now.

You are very like me in that you have good intentions, you research what needs to be done and you always set about doing it. then you get knocked off course, either by friends/family encouraging you to eat the wrong things, by circumstances at work, any number of things can sway you from the good path you have chosen.

A week or so ago someone said on another thread that comfort eating was natural and that we all do it. It isn't, it's a learned response for temporary relief of bad feelings (whether that's from loss, rejection, disappointment... even as a 'reward' for success and happiness) After that temporary relief though comes all the horrid feelings of guilt, failure and having to start right back at the beginning again. Each 'failure' leaves us feeling lower than before.

The only natural trigger to eat is hunger, (well OK sometimes thirst can feel like hunger too, so I usually have a drink of water to see if that gets rid of the hunger pangs) Just because the majority of the population have wrong triggers that cause them to eat doesn't mean it's OK for you and I. It isn't, our bodies can no longer put up with the mistreatment.

I honestly believe that you would be able to lose your excess weight and be taken off insulin one day. But you need to put yourself first. You need to believe in yourself and realise that nothing in the world is more important than you and your health. This won't wait. You can still turn this around but hey we've been here you and I talking about this for 5 years or so. Time really is running out. Please don't delay any longer.

I read the 'reasons' why you eat the wrong things and they are excuses, excuses to be abused by others. Don't let this go on any longer. You are important. Believe it.

My own need to comfort eat came from...
a need to feel loved, not rejected,
a need to be listened to,not ignored,
an emptiness inside that I just didn't understand
lack of self worth
not loving myself
a need to please others when they wanted to eat out and I didn't
putting others first (a tough one to get round that one - when you are a wife, daughter and mother - sometimes others really do come first!)
a need to succeed, never getting anything wrong, never making mistakes.
misplaced guilt
loneliness
depression

well I could go on all day with that list, but I am sure you can write your own list of triggers.

I think back to my childhood. My parents were lovely, but like all parents they had their faults.

I am writing my adult response to phrases that were said to me as a child so you get where I am coming from.
phrases like 'look what you made me do' - really? I don't think so you did that all on your own Mum!
'just go and read a book' - aww I just needed a hug.
'Stay indoors, I can't be bothered with cleaning your clothes when you get muddy' - so don't bother then, keep a dirty set for outdoor play!
'I'm too busy now' - really? you longed for a child for 19 years and now you are too busy for her! Dusting really isn't that important in the scheme of things.
When I fell over and hurt myself, my knee was cleaned and plastered and I was given a sweet. - A cuddle would have been more effective and would not have had the damaging effect of a lifelong (well 60 year) habit of comfort eating to ease the pain.
If I was good I was given crisps as a treat. - Oh please just tell me what a good girl I am and that you can see I tried really hard.

So do you see why I think you need counselling? It's so hard to unravel all of this stuff on your own, especially when 'everyone else does it' and the world thinks comfort eating and eating to please others is normal.

I have been off anti-depressants for 2 months. I wanted to stabilise first before trying hard to lose weight again. A month ago I started doing keto (usually 20g carbs a day, but I can sometimes get away with 30g and still stay in ketosis) . During that month I have felt disappointed (not with diet, with other things in life) rejected by a family member, stressed because of too much to do and too little time to do it, scared to face things etc. etc, oh and several meals out with family. And do you know what? None of these occurrences have caused me to stray from my diet. Not one. If I am having lunch with my son and there's nothing I like that is low enough carb for me I have a black coffee. I won't be doing keto forever, but when I stop, it will be because I want to stop not because anything or any body makes me stop. It's my body and I am in control of it.

Wouldn't you like that sort of freedom? That sort of power over yourself and your actions?

You can with good quality counselling. You can't afford It? It's priority above all else. It's the difference between a happy life and a miserable one.

I am not advising you to go keto as you are on insulin and you have a long way to go before you are where I am. I am advising you to get help to unlock all your old feelings so that you can start again and be a new you. If possible You need a couple of good friends to stand by you and encourage you. I don't mean the toxic ones who will encourage you to eat the wrong things 'just once' because 'it won't hurt' . It will hurt because it will dent your pride in yourself and your self -esteem. It's your will that matters not anyone else's.

I was extremely fortunate to find a couple of fantastic online friends who held my hand (figuratively) throughout my counselling and have been there for me when I needed them. I couldn't have got to where I am now without them. Thanks guys :)

julie2615

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At the beginning of the year I also had very high hba1c of 112. I was put on huge doses of insulin totalling nearly 250 units a day.

The biggest difference to me was cutting down on the carbs.

First I cut to 50 a day, then gradually aimed for under 20 a day (Keto diet). I also work in a food business but I can’t eat anything from the menu so I bring my own lunch in.

I have bought an accu check mobile which you may be able to get on prescription. It holds all the test strips and lancets so there’s no fiddling around with those. I test 10 times a day so I’m in control of my glucose levels.

I have now dropped to 60 units insulin a day and my hba1c is 36. You can do this. It’s hard and takes willpower and planning but it is doable. You can take control and bring your levels down.

Eat a hearty breakfast before you go to work, eggs, bacon, avocado. If they have salad at work take a protein to add to it. Egg mayo or tinned sardines/mackerel?

As far as testing and insulin if you reduce the carbs your blood will not spike so you will reduce the mealtime insulin. You should speak to manager and agree a schedule for testing and insulin breaks. I mean they must give smoking breaks to smokers so a medical reason can not be turned down!

All the best of luck to you :)

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried counselling before, which did help when I was at university and I've been booked in for a initial counselling assessment tomorrow with Healthy Minds.

I have a few good friends at work, that want to see me healthy and I just keep on letting them down by drinking fizzy drinks at work, not water or squash. There is a morrisons supermarket that is not far away from where I work and I could easily get a salad pot for £3, but I eat the food at kfc as I get a staff meal free and it's either 3 boneless mini fillets or 2 bbq snack wraps with hot wings. I usually have more than my staff meal allowance as I'm on my feet for a good few hours in the afternoon and evening being a good lobby host.

I don't test my sugars very often as I always end up feeling disappointed all the time and sometimes even angry.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried counselling before, which did help when I was at university and I've been booked in for a initial counselling assessment tomorrow with Healthy Minds.

I have a few good friends at work, that want to see me healthy and I just keep on letting them down by drinking fizzy drinks at work, not water or squash. There is a morrisons supermarket that is not far away from where I work and I could easily get a salad pot for £3, but I eat the food at kfc as I get a staff meal free and it's either 3 boneless mini fillets or 2 bbq snack wraps with hot wings. I usually have more than my staff meal allowance as I'm on my feet for a good few hours in the afternoon and evening being a good lobby host.

I don't test my sugars very often as I always end up feeling disappointed all the time and sometimes even angry.
Hi @akindrat18 you are just letting yourself down as well as your good friends. I understand its hard to give up on things especially when its free!! But you need to change your ways before its to late. Your friends want to help you get healthy so work with them and show them what you can do. You could all work together and have goals to achieve. Say one day no fizzy drinks. or no KFC meals. One day at a time. You also say you have more than your staff allowance. If you need to eat KFC cut it to your allowance. It all helps in the long run. Good luck mate you can do this.:happy: There is plenty of help, advice and support on here but you need to work with us.:)

Reactions: pavlovsdog and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a few good friends at work, that want to see me healthy and I just keep on letting them down by drinking fizzy drinks at work, not water or squash.

Hmm that sentence is very telling. First and foremost you are letting yourself down, although your friends are great for supporting you in in this, it's yourself you need to do this for. You are worth it.

Well done on booking the counselling. :) I am sure that most of us have issues left over from childhood that need dealing with. Most people don't have counselling though because it doesn't affect them or their bodies too much. Unfortunately you and I are different we need help to combat the self-sabotage that keeps cropping up and making us feel like failures. We aren't failures we are successes in training.

I found drinks were the hardest thing for me to sort out, fizzy drinks are so addictive. I would try to make that the one absolute new rule, the sooner you kick the fizzy drinks habit (whether sugar free or not) the better. They mess with your metabolism too much. Nice as they are, you and I don't need them messing us up. For cold drinks stick to water at all times, never vary and you will realise that when you have achieved you have the strength to achieve much more. Sparkling mineral is a good substitute if you need that fizz.

I am not going to comment on the food...you know what is wrong and you know how to put it right. You have done it before and you can do it again. :)

Yes I understand about not testing. You know you need to test though because you are on insulin. Give this your all, get your drinks and food right and you may actually enjoy testing as your figures stabilise.

I'm rooting for you @akindrat18. You are still a young man, don't waste any more of your youth on junk food and drinks.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Aside from all the excellent advice given above, you have a right under the DDA to ask for reasonable adjustments to be made at work so you can take breaks to check your bm, take insulin, and have snacks if required. You employer had a duty to make these adjustments so I would ask about a referral to Occupational Health if your company has one, or if not, contact your HR department.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Can you not pack cold cooked chicken drumsticks, and have those with a nice green salad, cheese, tomatoes, cucumber etc? Or 3 boiled eggs with salad. Cold lamb with some cheese, nuts, gherkins?, or cooked sausages and veg. Working in KFC I am sure that they have a microwave so you could even make up a batch of chicken and veg soup and warm it up at work. Make up some minced beef with plenty of veg and take to work. If you don't make allowances for you Diabetes you are heading for some serious health issues. Just needs some planning

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
KFC sell a variety of salads, some that a pretty low carb.

If you get free food at work why not try these instead of popcorn chicken and the like?

Only you can make the decisions, the answer to all your issues will come from you.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Would it be possible to get a job at Mcdonald or Burger King, as KFC is the worce option for type2 diabetes? I don't think could keep to a low carb diet if I worked at KFC.

Breakfast is clearly totally under your own control, and in you case I would be going for a large cooked low breakfast, as it will reduce the temptation to eat KFC.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There are diet drinks available at KFC - there is a shop around the corner from us and on the few occasions I have gone in to buy chicken I have also bought a diet drink - I think there was diet pepsi available pepsi max and cans of diet drink.
It seems rather odd - I mean - if someone came to the counter and said they were a diabetic - would you just say - oh there's nothing you can eat or drink? Surely you'd be able to list the things most suitable and give carb counts ?