1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Need to talk

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by bluepatch9, Aug 5, 2016.

1. bluepatch9

bluepatch9 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey everyone I'm 16 and newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I don't know many people in my area my age that have diabetes. Hopefully I can find some friends here...both guys and girls. I just want to talk to someone that understands what I'm going through because everyone I know keeps saying I'll be fine but they don't 100% understand what I'm going through. I'd love to get to know some of you more :)

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Michik

Michik Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Pm me if you want, 16yo

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Energize

Energize Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bluepatch, hang in there, eh?

I'm an 'oldie' and Type 2 but can still sympathise etc. You're amongst friends here and you'll find lots of support. I'm sure you'll find some others who are around your age group who you will be able to relate to moe easily but even us 'oldies' are happy to listen, empathise and even cry with you

{{{Hugs}}}

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. bluepatch9

Thanks so much everyone :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

hi @bluepatch9
    it must have been a TOTAL shock to be diagnosed __ it was for me - i didn't stop crying for months

but well done for posting on the forum - and hopefully some young peeps will be along soon

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi, I am definitely not a teen, but a female 'Robinredbreast' , so I just wanted to welcome you and say hello :)
    Take care.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Long time since my teens too.. But friends can be found that can identify. Even if they're not diabetic. There is life with diabetes & beyond. You will be surprised how many taste similar "bitter fruit" but can still associate with respect...! ;)

8. Tulip01

Tulip01 Type 1 · Active Member

Im 15 and been diagnosed with type 1 xxx

9. Jaylee

Staff Member

That was a "man hug" I gave you, by the way..!? ;) Very rare is the hug from me... I'm a practical guy! :D

10. bluepatch9

Thanks so much for replying! It means a lot

11. Jaylee

Staff Member

I spoke to an "upbeat" guy today catching a bus back home from a "D eye thing" at the hospital... (I couldn't drive due to the blurred vision & he helped me with the time table on the post..) he lived further away from me & had just been in for chemotherapy.. I wished him all the best. After all, hope,defined his travel.... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi @bluepatch9
    hope you are having a great day !!
    I am tagging some lovely younger people i know on the forum to come along and hopefully offer a bit of support or lend an ear for you..
    @becky.ford93 , @Casey_Jane , @myarnton1 @IceLover

take care young lady and do keep posting !
    all the best !

13. Roasterfred

Roasterfred Type 1 · Member

I'm 17, I've had T1 for 8 years, a diabetes diagnosis is horrendous, you're thrown in at the deep end. for me it felt like having my life in my hands with no control of it, but it passes, as time goes by you will notice that diabetes is not in control of you, it is a part of you, a part you control. I never let my diabetes get in the way of my life, yet I still have control. If ever you need someone to talk to, I or im sure that anyone else on this forum would gladly, help out.
    Fred

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook