Need To Vent

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am banging my head against a brick wall trying to explain to someone about how carbs become glucose, even "good" carbs. Some people dont seem to know how their bodies work, and what our bodies use for fuel. And then wont believe the evidence because we all know rice and pasta is good for us, so how can they act the same as chocolate and cola in turning into glucose.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Thanks for listneing.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I wouldn't be too hard on this person. I would have probably been the same 4 years ago. The Truth About Carbs might be a good watch for your disbeliever.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't be too hard on this person. I would have probably been the same 4 years ago. The Truth About Carbs might be a good watch for your disbeliever.
thats the programme they watched and have been ranting about it all being lies and nonsense :banghead:

Reactions: flexi06

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You need to talk to my Diabetic nurse.
She says 6 portions of carbs a day including two slices of bread.
And she’s supposed to be trained.

Reactions: flexi06

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
You need to talk to my Diabetic nurse.
She says 6 portions of carbs a day including two slices of bread.
And she’s supposed to be trained.

I think we may have the same nurse, the similarity is uncanny !

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These days I tend to take the attitude that I will worry about myself and my diet, and let friends do the same - it's my diabetes not theirs and some people won't be convinced whatever you say. If I'm asked my opinion, I will just say " Well, i'll share my experience" - then I leave them to do their own research or make their own choices - we all walk our own path :)

Reactions: Struma

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These days I tend to take the attitude that I will worry about myself and my diet, and let friends do the same - it's my diabetes not theirs and some people won't be convinced whatever you say. If I'm asked my opinion, I will just say " Well, i'll share my experience" - then I leave them to do their own research or make their own choices - we all walk our own path :)

Here's an example not related to diabetes. Someone asked me something once and I went to a lot of trouble to research what they asked about and then advise them. They completely ignored what I said. It wasn't until someone else told them exactly the same thing that they believed it.

Tell them what works for you, and then forget it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am banging my head against a brick wall trying to explain to someone about how carbs become glucose, even "good" carbs. Some people dont seem to know how their bodies work, and what our bodies use for fuel. And then wont believe the evidence because we all know rice and pasta is good for us, so how can they act the same as chocolate and cola in turning into glucose.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Thanks for listneing.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink!

What do you mean you don't eat carbs?
I can't!
Well you should, how do you get your glucose for energy?
I don't need to and I go hypo!
That is rubbish!
Er, no it's not! I go hypo if I eat carbs!
It is impossible for you to go hypo from eating healthy carbs?
It is!

The conversation continued for a while longer, till my clubs new nutritionist realised, I wasn't kidding him.
He still insists that carbs are vital to every day nutritional needs!
They are definitely not!

Reactions: flexi06 and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's an example not related to diabetes. Someone asked me something once and I went to a lot of trouble to research what they asked about and then advise them. They completely ignored what I said. It wasn't until someone else told them exactly the same thing that they believed it.
Oh so you've met my hubby then! :DHe once told me whiplash injuries didn't hurt much. (when you're at a standstill and your car gets driven into at a speed in excess of 60mph). Grrr. Then years later he told me he knows it hurt now because someone at work had a similar accident (being hit at only 40 mph mind you) That made me even more cross...why would he believe a colleague and not me? Surely it's just as likely that we were both exaggerating??Grrrr. :mad: