Needing to talk

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2- Excuse my rant but I have to just write this down to get it out of my system. This week after months of high readings I finally couldn’t cope anymore and broke down at work. My vision is blurred, I’m tired, I can’t concentrate and I feel worthless. My readings have been high teens low twenties and whatever I do I can’t bring them down even taking more and more meds. My boss has been great and my doctors are working to sort this but I just feel thoroughly depressed that my body doesn’t work anymore. Outwardly I look ok but inside my mind is mush, I have headaches and lost 5kg in 2 weeks, not by choice. I just want to go to work but I know I can’t at the moment, because my head doesn’t work like it used to. Just writing this down has helped, I wish I could talk to someone and just get this out of my brain. Fingers crossed my readings start to respond to the new prescriptions

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Numan

If you're not getting your levels down using tablets then have they tested you for type 1 ? Losing weight and feeling low/depressed/lethargic etc is common with type 1 so getting checked should be a priority as running high puts you at risk of DKA, which means hospital immediately as it's a very dangerous condition to be in.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Talk to your GP about your anxiety.
Then ask your GP to help which they are obligated to find counselling for you.
Don't take no for an answer.

Being anxious doesn't help with control of your blood glucose levels.

If you need to keep posting and it helps continue to rant all you like.

Have you considered dietary changes to help?

Keep safe

Reactions: JMK1954 and Numan

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Numan

If you're not getting your levels down using tablets then have they tested you for type 1 ? Losing weight and feeling low/depressed/lethargic etc is common with type 1 so getting checked should be a priority as running high puts you at risk of DKA, which means hospital immediately as it's a very dangerous condition to be in.

At the moment I have quadrupled my tablets in the last few weeks under the doctor’s instruction. I have an appointment with the doctor to discuss level’s tomorrow but no reduction has occurred yet. Presumably I will know more tomorrow after the appointment

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Talk to your GP about your anxiety.
Then ask your GP to help which they are obligated to find counselling for you.
Don't take no for an answer.

Being anxious doesn't help with control of your blood glucose levels.

If you need to keep posting and it helps continue to rant all you like.

Have you considered dietary changes to help?

Keep safe

I am already on a low carb diet, which has worked up until last year when I started on meds which again got everything under control. The ranting helped and hopefully tomorrow I will have more of an idea of where we are going with the meds

• Informative
Reactions: Lamont D

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
At the moment I have quadrupled my tablets in the last few weeks under the doctor’s instruction. I have an appointment with the doctor to discuss level’s tomorrow but no reduction has occurred yet. Presumably I will know more tomorrow after the appointment
Please lead your appointment rather than waiting for the GP to make suggestions, with the greatest of respect when running high it's difficult to think clearly and we are more easily lead when feeling this way, ask your GP to test you for type 1, they can book you in for a C peptide test which will measure the amount of insulin your pancreas is producing which will determine if you are t1 or t2, t1 can present itself as latent and can take a while to take hold but this test will help see what's going on.

Reactions: Lamont D and Numan

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A type 2 in the classic form can eat a low carb diet and see normal numbers - it is just about diagnostic. If the diet 'doesn't work' then it is something more exotic, interesting and worthy of greater attention.
Hopefully your visit today has brought about some extra attention and you'll soon be tested and treated to sort out the problems.
Feeling so unwell and losing weight rapidly, with the high glucose levels as well should set off alarm bells.

Reactions: Robbity and Numan

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hoping the meds will see some results changing this weekend. Doctor and diabetic nurse are keeping an eye on me, brain fog yuck

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Before diagnosis, my brain fog was really bad.
After adjustments, I went for a fasting test in hospital. After two days, my brain woke up. And with that my energy levels rose.
I have fasted for different times, days, hours, overnight and so on. But if I have to get back on track, I do use intermittent fasting with a small window of eating between 2pm to 7pm. This helps me sleep better and wake refreshed with a clear brain. I find this so much easier and don't have to worry about food too much. I eat very low carb, based around fresh meat and veg. I have cut down on how much food I eat and brain fog is not an issue.
If you can't fast, then there are other alternatives, such as bigger gaps between food, smaller portions, more natural fats, good protein. You have to find the right balance for you.

Keep safe.
But I think you need more tests as suggested by others.

Reactions: Numan

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for advice, I am slowly dropping blood sugar and have spaced out meals so they are even throughout the day. I’m speaking to doctors on Monday to see what comes next

• Optimistic
Reactions: Lamont D and filly