Nervous about pump... advice?

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I'm getting mine a bit before yours @blueeyed81 but if I have any information or any questions I'll message you and you can message me if you want

Reactions: blueeyed81

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You'll be fine I got the Minimed 640g in September, I have an Insulin pump pouch bought on ebay just clips round my waist I never notice it. Various colours/themes to

I have to check sometimes that it is still there, I'd never look back.
Hi WhiteleyGirl

I am also getting a pump in january. Kinda gatecrashed this post.

I believe i am getting the Minimed 640g too! Whats it like?

Im a little nervous but very excited

Becky x

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @littlelucy and @blueeyed81

Im also (supposed to be) getting a pump in January.
I was offered one years ans years a go as a child. But i declined i was doing alot of high risk sports like jujitsu and rpck xlimbing, full contacy rugby and lots more. I was too scared it would be knocked and pulled out by accident.
Then there was no funding available where i live for the pump. Ive moved to Wolverhampton for uni and im now based at their diabetes centre and now im finally getting the pump.

I was scared and reserved quite like yourself Lucy about sleeping with it and such.

Im rather excited still a little nervous.

But im sure we can get through it. We'll have out diabetes teams to help us. And our families. And we havs this wonderful forum!

We can do this :)

Keep your chin up! X

WhiteleyGirl

Hi Becky,

Really good I love mine, you test your blood sugar using the contour next meter and it bluetooths it over to the pump all you need to do then is put the carbs you eat and it gives you insulin. Gives much tighter control like if you have 23g carbs you can do that insulin rather than rounding to 2 or 3.

You do have a few pump sessions to get the settings right as it gives insulin all the time, no injection of background insulin .

I wouldn't go back to injections, they're really easy to change the cannulars. It hurts more to prick your finger sometimes than changing the cannular.

Hope all goes well if you have any more questions always willing to help.

Alison x

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't do loads of sports but when I get the chance to do them (like climbing) I always say yes as I love doing them but I'm kinda relived that I'm getting it a bit later rather than sooner as I'm going skiing and I was very scared it'll be pulled out if I fall but they have told me that it can't fall out and I have worn the tube without the pump before and it was quite comfortable however there was a bit where if you stand up you can feel it but I hope for the both of us it'll go away after we've gotten used to it @-beckyb93-

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By the sounds of it I'm getting the same metre as you @WhitelyGirl and @-beckyb93- however with the metre I have now (accu check aviva expert) I can do exact numbers (no decimals) is this the same for you?

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't do loads of sports but when I get the chance to do them (like climbing) I always say yes as I love doing them but I'm kinda relived that I'm getting it a bit later rather than sooner as I'm going skiing and I was very scared it'll be pulled out if I fall but they have told me that it can't fall out and I have worn the tube without the pump before and it was quite comfortable however there was a bit where if you stand up you can feel it but I hope for the both of us it'll go away after we've gotten used to it @-beckyb93-
@Little_Lucy ive never even seen the wire in person. Haha. Im glad one of us have got to see it and feel it.

Im quite excited haha.

Im 23 so a little older than yourself. At the time (least 10yrs ago) it was when it kind of like first came out it wasbt waterproof and i was so active I was too apprehensive that itd get pulled out. And i was swimming weekly etc.

But it would be highly beneficial now. Im at uni training to become a nurse. So it would help tremendously.

Have u got the date your getting the pump?

Becky

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow you have had diabetes for a long time @-beckyb93- I have had it for just over a year so they have a but better technology now. I am getting my pump after I've gone skiing for safety reasons as I would need to be watched and it would be a lot more convenient for the teachers I am getting it on the 16th January. The pump is a very good piece of technology as it is quite compact considering on what it does and I have one piece of advice even though you are quite a bit older than me putting the pump in will be quite scary as the needle practically shoots into you however it barely even hurts but don't feel bad if you where like me and didn't want to put it in because I was told it didn't hurt but I was still scared anyway

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh wow @Little_Lucy Ive had injections for 16 years. I was diagnosed 23rd December 2000. Haha.
Injected myself loads. And being a student nurse ive injected others. I think its the fear of the unknown.

Thats good logic. And thank you for the advice :)
Any pointers and tips will be awesome. And if i have any tips or advice or pointers I'll let you know.
If u ever want to talk thats good too. Us diabetics need tomstick together. Its why i love this forum and diabetes pages on fb haha.

Ive always had either a pencil case or a makeup bag purely for diabetes stuff. Emergency £1. Chocolate bar. Blood glucose monitor and test strips. Spare needles etc. Its been good :)

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes I think my diabetes case is too big as I gather up a lot of stuff I don't need in it haha and your welcome I'll let you know of any advice or anything I found out @-beckyb93-

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Perfect. Thank you @Little_Lucy

Sometimes i think mines too small or too big
If i go away i will not under any circumstance put my insulin or bits in my suitcase. It goes in my hand luggage. Some say im weird
Ah well

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Sometimes I think my diabetes case is too big as I gather up a lot of stuff I don't need in it haha and your welcome I'll let you know of any advice or anything I found out @-beckyb93-
If you haven't got it you can almost guarantee that you will need it.

My work bag is 90% diabetes related as in 3 spare infusion sets, reservoirs, spare meter, spare vial of test strips, insulin pens etc all packed inplastic tubs along with hypo treatments.

Regards

Martin

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Perfect. Thank you @Little_Lucy

Sometimes i think mines too small or too big
If i go away i will not under any circumstance put my insulin or bits in my suitcase. It goes in my hand luggage. Some say im weird
Ah well
Your not weird its using your common sense, if you equipment and supplies are with you and at hand you have peace of mind knowing should yiu need them you have tgem at hand.

Regards

Martin

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haha @rockape37 I would probably be the Sam even if I didn't have to carry around books and endless sheets of paper for school my bag would just be diabetes related but as I'm not on the pump yet all my stuff fits nicely into a big pencil case and it's hardback so my stuff won't get damaged if I drop. Guessing all that neatness in my case will be neat in my bag after I get a pump haha

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@rockape37 @Little_Lucy
This also gives us a reason to go shopping. Lol. To find a new case.

Martin. Are you on thr pump? How big of a bag would you roughly need as atm i used a pencil case/small makeup bag

Thank you

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, Medtronic 640g, i put my spares in a plastic tub. If i were you i would wait till you get hold of your pump and all of the supplies as then you would have a better idea of what you will need rather than buy something now and realise its either too big or small