1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Nervous about pump... advice?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Little_Lucy, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Jamesuk9

Jamesuk9 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Are any of these pumps fully automated yet? Constant monitoring and adjustment without user intervention?

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

No, not yet. Some pumps can have a CGM used with them eg Animas Vibe, but the pump is controlled by the user :) The basal is set and adjusted by the user, and obviously boluses are calculated depending on carbs per meal/snack, forthcoming exercise, etc, All controlled by the user.

3. Jamesuk9

Must be a godsend for the user. I'm surprised they aren't at the fully auto stage yet where it works reactively. I guess there's a lot to consider and get right first.

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

They're working on a closed loop,system. @tim2000s knows a lot about that and has his own system.

Personally, I would need a fair bit of convincing that any algorithm could match my lifestyle and diet. Odds are the targets would be higher than I like.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jamesuk9

Yes I can imagine that for someone who has tight control of their condition it would take a great deal of persuasion to hand that control to electronics. That said, I know a few type 1 who have learning disabilities and rely on others to administer who would benefit tremendously from such a system. It would no doubt save a fortune in social care costs too eliminating the need for nurse visits several times a day etc.

It would have to be bulletproof though but it's sure to happen in the future.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I'd suggest that if you stick to the diet you'll get the same levels. There's a fair bit of research that shows that closed loops don't improve on levels and I'd agree with that. What they do do is make life easier. Over the run in to Christmas I ate terribly but still managed an A1C of 5.9%. The loop always brings you back to target.

The main thing is that when I'm eating properly (I.e. Not carb fest...) I really don't have to spend much time trying to get an average level in the low fives. That's the real benefit. It just does a lot of the work correcting outliers for you.

The main benefit from open source looping solutions in this context is that you control the targets. The commercial products are more constrained in that particular way. For most, though, that will be good enough, especially with the amount of time you don't have to spend getting there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. -beckyb93-

-beckyb93- Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@WhiteleyGirl
    I dont have a contour meter? Do i need to get one?
    I'll speak to my DSN on the 31st xx

8. WhiteleyGirl

WhiteleyGirl · Member

I have one as it links up to the medtronic 640g so if you're getting that pump they should give you the contour next as it bluetooths it over x

• Like Like x 1
  9. -beckyb93-

Oooh! That's cool! I'll ask my DSN on thr 31st when i see him next x

10. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

It usually comes as part of the 640G "kit". There'll be no need to ask for one. (Also, being pedantic, it's not Bluetooth, but Zigbee, as we've found out trying to hack it!)

11. Little_Lucy

Little_Lucy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@blueeyed81 congratulations on your pump turns out we have the same one I've had it for about a week and a half now and I love it so much it's a lot easier!! Hope you do good with it!

• Like Like x 2
  12. -beckyb93-

Becoming a little nervous and apprehensive now haha x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook