Nervous about pump... advice?

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are any of these pumps fully automated yet? Constant monitoring and adjustment without user intervention?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are any of these pumps fully automated yet? Constant monitoring and adjustment without user intervention?

No, not yet. Some pumps can have a CGM used with them eg Animas Vibe, but the pump is controlled by the user :) The basal is set and adjusted by the user, and obviously boluses are calculated depending on carbs per meal/snack, forthcoming exercise, etc, All controlled by the user.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, not yet. Some pumps can have a CGM used with them eg Animas Vibe, but the pump is controlled by the user :) The basal is set and adjusted by the user, and obviously boluses are calculated depending on carbs per meal/snack, forthcoming exercise, etc, All controlled by the user.
Must be a godsend for the user. I'm surprised they aren't at the fully auto stage yet where it works reactively. I guess there's a lot to consider and get right first.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Must be a godsend for the user. I'm surprised they aren't at the fully auto stage yet where it works reactively. I guess there's a lot to consider and get right first.

They're working on a closed loop,system. @tim2000s knows a lot about that and has his own system.

Personally, I would need a fair bit of convincing that any algorithm could match my lifestyle and diet. Odds are the targets would be higher than I like.

Reactions: Snapsy

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They're working on a closed loop,system. @tim2000s knows a lot about that and has his own system.

Personally, I would need a fair bit of convincing that any algorithm could match my lifestyle and diet. Odds are the targets would be higher than I like.
Yes I can imagine that for someone who has tight control of their condition it would take a great deal of persuasion to hand that control to electronics. That said, I know a few type 1 who have learning disabilities and rely on others to administer who would benefit tremendously from such a system. It would no doubt save a fortune in social care costs too eliminating the need for nurse visits several times a day etc.

It would have to be bulletproof though but it's sure to happen in the future.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd suggest that if you stick to the diet you'll get the same levels. There's a fair bit of research that shows that closed loops don't improve on levels and I'd agree with that. What they do do is make life easier. Over the run in to Christmas I ate terribly but still managed an A1C of 5.9%. The loop always brings you back to target.

The main thing is that when I'm eating properly (I.e. Not carb fest...) I really don't have to spend much time trying to get an average level in the low fives. That's the real benefit. It just does a lot of the work correcting outliers for you.

The main benefit from open source looping solutions in this context is that you control the targets. The commercial products are more constrained in that particular way. For most, though, that will be good enough, especially with the amount of time you don't have to spend getting there.

Reactions: Type1Bri

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have one as it links up to the medtronic 640g so if you're getting that pump they should give you the contour next as it bluetooths it over x
It usually comes as part of the 640G "kit". There'll be no need to ask for one. (Also, being pedantic, it's not Bluetooth, but Zigbee, as we've found out trying to hack it!)