Nervous about pump... advice?

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm getting a pump in January I'm 14 and I'm nervous that I won't like it and it'll be very uncomfortable at school ( as I wear skirts ) or how I sleep as I sleep in my side but I don't want to get it and say no I don't want it as it costs a lot of money and the hosital has said that they wouldn't like that. So I need some advice had anybody got any??

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Little_Lucy :)

I've had a pump 12 years and I was very nervous before I got mine too. But after a couple of days I got used to wearing it and very soon didnt even notice it. As I was typing this to you, I had to stop to feel where it was - i really don't notice it at all :)

I wear skirts and just clip it to my waist band. I also wear dresses and either have it ina special pouch or tuck it in a Tubigrip on my thigh. It's fine :)

At night, I either clip it to my pyjamas or wear a soft belt with a pouch in. It's really comfortable and, again, I don't notice my pump at all.

My pump made me feel normal and more like me before I had diabetes. I love it!

You'll be fine. The expectation and worry in advance is far worse than the reality. You'll soon get used to wearing it. I actually think mine looks rather cool :)

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Lucy, you'll be fine and as already said after a short while you won't notice it.

I wear mine in a Spiebelt when sleeping and somtimes i just clip ut to my waistband. I too sleep on my side and somtimes i have even slept ontop of it eith no problems at all.

During the day I hang mine around my neck under a T-shirt and when at work I clip it to the opening in my polo shirt with the pump on the inside or if wearing a collar and tie I thread the tubing between the shirt buttons and clip the pump in the shirt pocket.

I've been wearing a pump for 5 months and only one person has asked me what's hanging around my neck under my T-shirt. I dont try to hide it as it part of me Full Stop.

You will love it.

Regards

Martin

Last edited:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi, I'm getting a pump in January I'm 14 and I'm nervous that I won't like it and it'll be very uncomfortable at school ( as I wear skirts ) or how I sleep as I sleep in my side but I don't want to get it and say no I don't want it as it costs a lot of money and the hosital has said that they wouldn't like that. So I need some advice had anybody got any??
Hello Lucy,
what you are experiencing is called fear of the unknown. We all went through it before we started to pump :) As the other have said you wont notice it after awhile it will be part of you, just like a pocket pancreas. Pumps are hard work for a few weeks until you set it up correctly for your own body needs after that oh wow what a difference in your life.

I'm sure you will be fine....................... don't forget though you need to name your pump :)

Reactions: Little_Lucy

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lucy

I was offered a pump around 3 years before I took the plunge, I wish I'd not wasted those 3 years. I had the same worries as you, after a few months it becomes part of you and you will miss it if you take it off.

Having a pump was one of the best decisions I ever made (other than asking my girlfriend to marry me).

monski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
as the previous replies have said "you'll be fine"
I've had mine for a year now and you really do forget where it is a lot of the time.
you haven't said which pump your getting, so i can only speak about the Minimed 640G. some of its infusion sets have really long tubes and i sometimes just clip mine to the pillow case cover and its there all night. Haven't strangled myself yet :)

WhiteleyGirl

You'll be fine I got the Minimed 640g in September, I have an Insulin pump pouch bought on ebay just clips round my waist I never notice it. Various colours/themes to

I have to check sometimes that it is still there, I'd never look back.

Reactions: himtoo

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be honest I don't actually know what pump I'm getting but they did say that they come with different length tubes so I can find one that fits me thank you for the advice @monski

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Little_Lucy
I was a real sit on the fence peep.
I was offered one 14 years ago -- said NO -- I am fine on injections-- but WOW -- I wish I had gone for one back then

I have been on my pump for 15 months now and I LOVE it --
I sleep on my side too and never notice it

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Little_Lucy, I am also getting a pump on January, on the 23rd. I'm getting the minimed 640g pump in white. I'm 35 so quite a bit older than yourself. Where are you from, I'm in Barrow in Furness up north.

We can do it together if you like. I'm sure we'll have the same questions lol

Kelly :)

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Hi @Little_Lucy, I am also getting a pump on January, on the 23rd. I'm getting the minimed 640g pump in white. I'm 35 so quite a bit older than yourself. Where are you from, I'm in Barrow in Furness up north.

We can do it together if you like. I'm sure we'll have the same questions lol

Kelly :)
It will be a one to one session.

Regards

Martin