1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Nervous about pump... advice?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Little_Lucy, Dec 20, 2016.

1. rockape37

rockape37 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I did consider a make-up bag but as you can see from my avatar all i need to make my face up is eye liner lol

2. Little_Lucy

Little_Lucy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That would be a good idea @-beckyb93- and @rockaoe37

3. -beckyb93-

-beckyb93- Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hahah! Yeah. Maybe a pink makeup bag isnt your colour haha @rockape37

4. rockape37

rockape37 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't think pink will go very well with my red hair straighteners that my wife and daughters bought me for xmas

• Like Like x 1
  5. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

To be fair though, what you choose to carry around is entirely up to you. I've typically got one spare Mio set with me in my bag, my Contour Meter in its case and a Novopen. That's it. If I need to reload a reservoir then I can do so from the Novopen into the reservoir in the pump.

Not all of us carry multiple spares around with us on a daily basis, so I wouldn't carry a spare meter, spare pot of strips, spare reservoirs and additional spare infusion sets with me. If I'm away from home for more than a day, then that's a different matter, but for the day to day, I don't find I need a lot.

I also used the CGM with the 640G, so when I was using that, I didn't bother carrying the Contour meter if I was going out at night. Calibrate beforehand then you have your glucose levels without needing anything else.

• Like Like x 1
    #45 tim2000s, Dec 28, 2016 at 1:04 PM
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  6. Little_Lucy

I am very similar to you @tim2000s as I still go to school I can keep a lot of my spare kit there but when I'm out and about just to the shop I don't take any spares with me but like you said overnight in places it's a bit different

7. groucho74

groucho74 Type 1 · Member

hi @blueeyed81 I did my pump training at Barrow as well, 2 years ago, and if it is still the same set up, with the Medtronic nurse, it will be a group session involving 4 or 5 of you.

8. blueeyed81

blueeyed81 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you :). My dsn is Carol and I see dietician Alison. I'm on countdown now lolol.

Are you still in Barrow :)

9. groucho74

groucho74 Type 1 · Member

yeah, I see Carol/Alison about every 4 months now as they are happy with my control (been averaging A1c of 6.7% which is incredible after close on 23 years of 10%+).
    The group session is really good as you are all starting off at the same level of understanding of the pump and you'll probably make pump buddies.
    The first week you'll be on saline and you'll be encouraged to play around with the pump.
    The second week you'll go live with your insulin.
    Don't be worried about asking questions either - no such thing as a stupid question.
    Do check with Carol what you should do about you Basal the night before going live.
    First month you'll feel like nothing is working right but stick with it and it will come together......and make sure you know Carol's phone number or email address.

10. blueeyed81

blueeyed81 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's good to know, I have Carols email :) I emailed her to ask about the pump, 2 weeks later I was doing the paperwork to get on the first pump clinic of the year lol. Bonus, I'm going to make a list of questions if I remember lol. My current a1c is 10.2 so hoping to get it better. It has been a lot worse in the past though. I was 10.4 the test before that. Currently going in the right direction lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jasmine1616

jasmine1616 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

1. We need to talk more, we have a lot in common.
    2. An insulin pump is not that uncomfortable. Once you put it on a new site and the insulin starts going through the tubing, it feels a little weird, but after an hour, you get used to it.
    3. People only notice it if you put it on your arm and your are either wearing a tank top or really short sleeves.
    4. If someone sees the box on your hip (if your pump is shaped like a box), some might just think it is a phone clipped to your hip.
    5. I hope this helps, dm me after you read this.

12. .gurley

.gurley Type 1 · Active Member

13. Eireannn

Eireannn Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey Lucy, I'm 15 and fingers crossed should be getting a pump soon! When the nurse started talking about pumps, I didn't like the sound of it. I thought it would get in my way and I hate stuff attached to me. However, she mentioned another pump called the Omnipod I think? I'm not sure how it's spelt. Anyway, it's a wireless pump (no tubey thing attached at all!) which you stick on the body places where you'd inject and it's bluetoothed to a meter and releases insulin into you when you put the info in, etc.

https://www.myomnipod.com/

Have a look here :)

14. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Little_Lucy I adore my pump and wish I'd had it 29 years sooner....

I've had it just over a year. I LOVE IT. It has given me the life I wish I'd claimed sooner. I had let my diabetes rule and dictate and steer my life for far too long. I didn't know I could lead such a normal life - and with my pump, I CAN.

Now I run. I swim. I go to the cinema without fear of passing out. I finish the things I start.

All the best with it.

:)

15. -beckyb93-

Feeling a little deflated atm. Because the consultant didnt go through everything in December im now having to wait another month. I know that sounds harsh but ive been waiting so long for one. And im kinda feeling the closer i seem to get something happens to.push it back.

How you all getting on? @Little_Lucy ?

Any pump news?
    I've got next 4 appointments booked.
    31st jan. 2nd feb. 9th feb. 23rd feb x

16. Little_Lucy

I'm getting my pumps on Monday!! Not sure when the other appointments are though @-beckyb93- however as I've just come back from skiing my levels are everywhere! I'm hypo all over the place and my once 26 units of levimer at night has since been changed to 21 yet still many hypos!

17. Little_Lucy

Thank you @Snapsy I'm sure I'll love it too

18. Little_Lucy

@Eireannn unfortunately unlike yourself I do not have choice of which pump I get I'm getting the medetronic pump ( I think that's what it's called) but I'll let you know how it goes

19. Little_Lucy

Thank you for the advice @jasmine1616 but I'm sorry I think we have messaged before quite a while back and I do believe you live in America, yes? (As you have told me) but see I live in England so we're practically a day apart which makes it hard to message one another. Sorry!

20. -beckyb93-

@Little_Lucy

Eek im excited for you. Mines delayed because the consultant i saw in December is useless n filled out wrong paperwork n didnt even go over the pump.

Ive got training sessions they've said
    Before i have it. Then go back and show them i remember what they showed me. Etc...
    Bit miffed because i now have to miss really important uni stuff because of the consultants error.

Im so excited for you though xx

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook