1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Neuropathy - advice please

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by LincolnLizzie, Oct 27, 2016.

1. LincolnLizzie

LincolnLizzie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been low carbing (under 40g daily) for over six months but am dismayed to find neuropathy is steadily marching upwards from my toes, now at ankle level in places. I had thought keeping my BG levels at an acceptable level (43 and 46 on the last two hba1c tests), would have helped but it seems not.

Any thoughts on why or, indeed, what I can do to limit further damage?

Are my levels not low enough? I'm on basal insulin and 1 X Forxiga and my 14 day average is 6.1 currently.

Thanks

2. asparagusp

asparagusp · Guest

3. doug_j

doug_j Type 2 · Member

Iv got the same in both feet and it has started in my hands my consultan told me that cause of it was sugars out of control

4. psignathus

psignathus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You might research 'Alpha lipoic acid' and 'acetyl l carnitine' these can be bought as supplements (powder form) on amazon. Actualy I think ALA may be in pill form online about 600mg per tablet.

#4 psignathus, Oct 27, 2016 at 12:49 PM
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. LincolnLizzie

6. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I'd also suggest getting your B12 levels checked, especially if you've been taking metformin and/or acid blockers, as a B12 deficiency gives very similar symptoms to diabetic neuropathy.

7. LincolnLizzie

Thanks, I didn't know about that. X

8. Kenny_g.v

Kenny_g.v Type 2 · Member

Good sugar levels are a must thats what I have been told by the db clinic

9. Chaobaby7

Chaobaby7 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think this is what is happening to me.I was diagnosed with type 2 in September 2016 and managed to get my weight down by a stone due to careful eating and going for walks when the rubbish weather lets me, but I get this horrible tingling/numbness/pain/twitching in the calf muscles and ankles at night when i lie down, I even notice my legs jump a bit, is it diabetic related? i don't have swollen ankles or anything, I have the typical legs of an apple shape, skinny and rangy.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook