New and worried

Blackrat100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
Freshly diagnosed with T2 last week but hopefully it's just going to be control through diet for the foreseeable future.

Today was the first day on my Intro to Diabetes course in Bournemouth with several other sufferers, a Diabetes Nurse and a Dietitian. My goodness they know their stuff. Very impressed.

I'm here to learn and to calm me down a bit by browsing the forum and asking questions where I need to, I look forward to chatting in due course.

TTFN
Mick

Reactions: ziggy_w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are lucky - my 'education' team were from Poole and recommended baked potatoes and baked beans for lunch - amongst some other blunders - oh - and there were biscuits and tea with skimmed milk.
That was in 2017.
I was diagnosed 2016 and by the time the course ended I was no longer diabetic, but I do wish that I had tried harder to get the concept of low carb eating into the conversation as it has done me a world of good to get my blood glucose under control.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask what diet advice you were given? Sadly NHS diet advice for us is often very poor. Let's hope your team were up to date about carbs.

Blackrat100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The advice I was given is that you can eat most things providing the GI is low and the sugars disperse into your system slowly and portion control is vital.
Basically eat low GI foods in small portions but also keeping an eye on the sugar content.

It was only the first day of 3 and I’m sure more and deeper advice will be given on days 2 and 3. Day 2 is not until September.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Blackrat100 and welcome

It is natural and perfectly understandable to be worried when first diagnosed - we have all been there. So much information to take in and unfortunately some of it conflicting.

Please follow the link already provided to you with the usual introductory information given to the newly diagnosed and study it well. Then ask as many questions to the forum as you feel you need to.

I will mention just one thing for now: it is not just sugar levels in food but all carbohydrate level, which includes in addition to sugar, starchy food such as rice, pasta, bread and potatoes. All carbohydrates, not just sugar, turn to glucose once processed by our digestive system so in order to keep our blood glucose levels under control most diabetics need to limit carbohydrate consumption.

Regards

Pavlos
The advice I was given is that you can eat most things providing the GI is low and the sugars disperse into your system slowly and portion control is vital.
Basically eat low GI foods in small portions but also keeping an eye on the sugar content.

It was only the first day of 3 and I’m sure more and deeper advice will be given on days 2 and 3. Day 2 is not until September.