Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In my case it is beer. I have one pint most evenings. No point in prolonging your life if you don't enjoy it. I know there are some low carb drinks pretending to be beer like Coors Lite but after 50 years of (moderate) real ale drinking it has to be the real thing or nothing.

No your quite right there about some of those Lite Beers, dreadful stuff.

Last Saturday evening we had a BBQ, my eldest lad bought some Guinness so decided to join him and have a can, not had a Guinness for quite a while and thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No your quite right there about some of those Lite Beers, dreadful stuff.

Last Saturday evening we had a BBQ, my eldest lad bought some Guinness so decided to join him and have a can, not had a Guinness for quite a while and thoroughly enjoyed it :)
Sorry to be off topic here but if you can find out the amount of carbs in the various types of Guiness you are a better man than I am. The Carbs and Cals book says 9g per pint for stout which seems to good to be true.

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to read more about diet and dementia or at least one version or study Micheal Moseley is worth a read. Recommended by a nutritionist friend of mine. Quite interesting!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people are salt sensitive, some people aren't. Salt sensitive people usually find that too much will cause raised blood pressure and other things. Those not sensitive can eat salt without much effect on their health....end QUOTE]
Lol... my family have a little bit of food with their salt... they are in n.Ireland... dolse is my all time favorite, I could sit sucking the salt off of that for ages and have perfect blood pressure... maybe I was desensitized as a child!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just to add to the confusion:

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/metformin-and-alzheimers-a-potential-new-therapy/

and conversely

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/me...ased-risk-of-dementia-and-parkinsons-disease/

Key issues from the more recent report:

"
Practice Pearls:

• Type 2 diabetes has long been understood to carry an increased risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases.
  • Until recently, metformin and sulfonylurea use in T2D has been associated with a decrease in risk for Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.
  • A recent study suggests metformin use can increase the risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, but there are also concerns over the validity of the findings due to study design flaws.
"

There you go - that's sorted that one out.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to add to the confusion:

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/metformin-and-alzheimers-a-potential-new-therapy/

and conversely

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/me...ased-risk-of-dementia-and-parkinsons-disease/

Key issues from the more recent report:

"
Practice Pearls:

• Type 2 diabetes has long been understood to carry an increased risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases.
  • Until recently, metformin and sulfonylurea use in T2D has been associated with a decrease in risk for Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.
  • A recent study suggests metformin use can increase the risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, but there are also concerns over the validity of the findings due to study design flaws.
"

There you go - that's sorted that one out.
Interesting that meds that promote increased insulin in the blood seem to increase the risk, but Metformin which has a slight bgl reduction effect, may not have this risk. One thing missing from the first study is any comparison of Metformin against non diabetic populace.

Could it be the occurrence of hypos creeping in here? Hypos are associated with increased neurodegenerative effects that are long lasting beyond the event itself (which certainly does muck up the braincells while it is happenening). Could glucose starvation be the risk factor since it has been shown that those diabetics exercising too strong a control regime have worse mortality outcomes. Thought for the day - will a ketogenic diet alleviate these adverse effects too by burning the dual fuels to compensate?

Edit to add: the second report has a statement that the results were adjusted for age, genderm and depth of disease. There is no explanation as to why or how.

Since the main aelection criteria seems to be [diabetic of some sort+ on/off Metformin] then it may be possible that the Control group maybe had a lower age band, and this could skew the results since we are talking about outcome diseases that are predominatley associated with advancing years. The other skew factor that may interfere is the split between T1D and T2D, where T1D may not be using an oral at all, and may be generally younger, but many T2D will, and will tend to be an older population sample.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have now digested this article, and I am not convinced. The author is defintely a full convert to LCHF and I am worried that this has introduced a bias that is not backed up by evidence. This reduces the article IMHO to the status of a Blog, i.e. it is the authors personal view only.
In particular, I found the following statements, that form the main argument being put forward, to be just POV

<<
The major hallmarks of Alzheimer’s Disease—neurofibrillary tangles, amyloid plaques, and brain cell atrophy—can all be explained by insulin resistance. A staggering 80% of people with Alzheimer’s Disease have insulin resistance or full-blown type 2 diabetes. The connection between insulin resistance and Alzheimer’s Disease is now so firmly established that scientists have started referring to Alzheimer’s Disease as “Type 3 Diabetes.”

This does not mean that diabetes causes Alzheimer’s Disease—dementia can strike even if you don’t have diabetes. It’s more accurate to think of it this way: Insulin resistance of the body is type 2 diabetes; insulin resistance of the brain is type 3 diabetes. They are two separate diseases caused by the same underlying problem: insulin resistance >>.

The cure being offered is LCHF, and this relies on these statemenss to be true. As I said previous, this may well be shown to be a valid assertion, but it is too early for me to pick up and run with.

Reactions: Salvia

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The researchers say they did not have enough data to include dietary factors or alcohol in their calculations but believe both could be important.
The giveaway word is BELIEVE, it is at the moment a matter of faith,