New diagnosis....Newcastle Diet?

richm13

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I am a 53 year old male and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 weeks ago. It came as a big shock as I am not overweight, have a good diet and exercise regularly. I have been advised that I could go on Metformin immediately or I could try to put the diabetes into remission by losing weight. The complicating factor is that I have suffered heart problems - a blocked artery - some years ago. This resulted in having stents and going on statins. This is a genetic issue and not linked to diet or weight. My cardiologist advised undertaking the Newcastle diet which I am planning to start very soon. Is anyone out there in a similar situation and/or can advise? Thanks, Richard

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

First of all, you say you are not overweight. Then you say you have been advised to try the Newcastle Diet to lose weight.
Do you need to lose weight? What is your BMI? The ND is only 800 calories a day for 8 weeks, so is not really suitable for anyone that doesn't have a lot of weight to lose.

Can you tell us what your diagnostic HbA1c result was? It sounds like it wasn't very drastic if you have been given the chance to "go in remission" without even Metformin.

Do you have your own blood glucose meter? If not, I strongly urge you to buy one. These are essential as they show instantly what your food choices have done to your blood sugar levels and give you chance to tweak your meals accordingly. If your doctor told you not to test, he is very wrong.

You say you have a good diet. If only I had a pound for every newcomer here that thinks that. A good diet for the general public is not the same as a good diet for a T2 diabetic. Perhaps you give us some details of your typical food choices? We may be able to help you.

Tagging @Daisy 1 for her very informative post for all newly diagnosed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi and welcome. I am unable to take excercise but I have lost weight and improved my HbA1c with diet (and up until recently Metformin). It can be done and I did it with a LCHF (low carbohydrate high healthy fats diet).
This site has a 'Low Carb Programme' now being prescribed by the NHS and in my opinion the low carb way of eating sounds far easier than the calorie restricted ND.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do let us know your BMI/Weight and also what you mean by a good diet. The ND is well known and will help some but in my opinion it's much better to go low-carb with higher fat and protein. The ND is about calories which to be honest don't have much meaning for us (me) whereas carb intake does. Carbs are the main cause of weight and BS gain.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I am a 53 year old male and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 weeks ago. It came as a big shock as I am not overweight, have a good diet and exercise regularly. I have been advised that I could go on Metformin immediately or I could try to put the diabetes into remission by losing weight. The complicating factor is that I have suffered heart problems - a blocked artery - some years ago. This resulted in having stents and going on statins. This is a genetic issue and not linked to diet or weight. My cardiologist advised undertaking the Newcastle diet which I am planning to start very soon. Is anyone out there in a similar situation and/or can advise? Thanks, Richard
Hi Rich,

The Newcastle diet only lasts for 8 weeks... T2 is a rather permant thing that needs to be adressed. So while the Newcastle diet is a good start to a lifestylechange for people who are T2 and overweight, and will also kickstart, in all likelyhood, improved bloodsugars/insulin resistance, well... If you don't have weight to lose, that might be problematic.

You could go low carb high fat, (which is what you'd have to follow the Newcastle diet up with anyway to keep bloodsugars under control without medication), without adding a crashdiet to the mix. Just an idea. Not a medical professional here, so... Quite up to you.

As for a healthy diet, yeah... That's what a lot of us thought. Toss what you think you know out the window though,; as a T2 you can't process carbohydrates (practically all of them turn to glucose once ingested), so aside from straight sugars, starches, white or brown, are causing spikes. Rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, cereal/muesli, most fruits... You may have to rethink your whole eating plan. But if you want help with that, we're right here!

richm13

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo,
That is incredibly helpful - thanks. I take your point about having a sustainable long term diet beyond whatever I choose to do about the Newcastle diet. I am confused about what I can or should be eating in the long term. I have begun by stopping eating all chocolate, biscuits and cake and am stopping with white bread. I will also do similarly with rice and potatoes (these things can a little time!). But I am not sure what fruits I should or should not be eating and in what amounts. Even under my new eating regime I find I get quite hungry and reach for the fruit bowl or nuts as a subsitute. I also don't know what is best regarding meat and fish as well as dairy products, as well as how to structure meals (i.e. eat carbs in the middle of the day etc). Any advice gratefully received. Thanks Again, Rich

richm13

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Daisy,
What blood glucose meter would you suggest getting? Also how should I judge (based on the results) how to change my diet? What is an acceptable reading after a meal?
As to my diet - i normally begin my day wiht a cup of coffee (semi-skimmed milk, no sugar) and a piece of fruit or a slice (or maybe two of toast with avocado or tomatoe. For lunch I might have soup and some salad and fruit. For dinner I will normally eat with my kids (who are vegeterian) - so a vegetable casserole, curry or salad. I try (not always successfully) to avoid carbs during dinner. I drink a glass or two or wine about 4 times a week, and eat a lot nuts, fruit, veg, hummus and suchlike for snacks if i get really hungry. I am bad at keeping to small portions, partly as I do a lot of exercise and also because I am very active and moving in my work. Any tips on the above gratefully received.
Thanks

Richard

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo,
That is incredibly helpful - thanks. I take your point about having a sustainable long term diet beyond whatever I choose to do about the Newcastle diet. I am confused about what I can or should be eating in the long term. I have begun by stopping eating all chocolate, biscuits and cake and am stopping with white bread. I will also do similarly with rice and potatoes (these things can a little time!). But I am not sure what fruits I should or should not be eating and in what amounts. Even under my new eating regime I find I get quite hungry and reach for the fruit bowl or nuts as a subsitute. I also don't know what is best regarding meat and fish as well as dairy products, as well as how to structure meals (i.e. eat carbs in the middle of the day etc). Any advice gratefully received. Thanks Again, Rich
Might be an idea to check out www.dietdoctor.com for some great low carb meal ideas and a great explanation of how low carb living and eating works. You're starting out well but remember that fat provides satiety so if you are getting hungry and looking for snacks you're not having fatty enough meals. Fruit is not great as many T2's have a fatty liver which fruit exacerbates - some berries in yoghurt (full fat plain) or cream are ok but most of the rest contain too much fructose. Nuts would be a better choice or pork scratchings best of all. Beware that nuts can be quite carby (check out the values) macadamias are pretty good but very moreish.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo,

I agree with @bulkbiker The dietdoctor website is a brilliant resource for us.

Basically, as long as there is no coating such as batter or breadcrumbs, you can eat any meat and fish you like, including shell fish. Oily fish such as salmon is highly recommended. You can also eat as much dairy food as you wish. Plenty of butter, cream, full fat yogurt, cheese etc. Just limit milk as it contains a lot of lactose, although you can buy lactose free these days. Eggs are a particularly good staple for us. Eat as many as you like. As a rule of thumb, vegetables that grow above ground are fine. Ones that grow as roots are starchy and not recommended. Fruit is very difficult. A few berries are the best bet, eaten as part of a meal with cream or yogurt. Breakfast cereals including porridge are very carb heavy, and many have loads of added sugar ontop of the carbs.

If you buy a meter, and I strongly urge you to do so, this tool will help you work out which foods your body can cope with, and which it can't. (alongside a food diary)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo,

No need to go hungry. And nuts are fine for a snack, usually. As is extra dark chocolate (Lindt 85% is good, couple of squares will tie you over). Cheese too. Far as fruit goes, berries are okay in moderation, starfruit, avocado and tomatoes too. The rest, not so much. Stick as much as possible with meat, poultry, fish, leafy greens/above ground veggies, eggs, cheeses, mayonaise, double cream, full fat greek yoghurt, butter, olives... Scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese sound okay? A salad with tuna (capers, olives, avocado...) or warmed goat's cheese is nice, or any meat/fish/bird with veggies. I usually have something like broccoli-rice or cauliflower rice with cheese and bacon to make it filling... (And yeah, I could ditch the statins after about 3 months of eating like this. ;) ) As for structturing meals, some find their insulin resistance is worse in the morning, but you won't know until you use a meter to check. If you have a meal, check before and 2 hours after the first bite. if you went up more than 2.0 mmol/l, it was carbier than you could handle. And one, two or three meals a day, depends on whatever works for you. I'm currently on 2 meals a day, skipping breakfast. (I just have tea, usually.). just remember your pancreas likes a break every now and again. Don't graze all day long. I was advised to do that and started out with 6 meals a day (three big, three small), and I could've gotten my bloodsugars down a lot faster if I'd listened to my body more.

....And Dietdoctor.com had loads of meal ideas. :)
Jo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Daisy,
What blood glucose meter would you suggest getting? Also how should I judge (based on the results) how to change my diet? What is an acceptable reading after a meal?
As to my diet - i normally begin my day wiht a cup of coffee (semi-skimmed milk, no sugar) and a piece of fruit or a slice (or maybe two of toast with avocado or tomatoe. For lunch I might have soup and some salad and fruit. For dinner I will normally eat with my kids (who are vegeterian) - so a vegetable casserole, curry or salad. I try (not always successfully) to avoid carbs during dinner. I drink a glass or two or wine about 4 times a week, and eat a lot nuts, fruit, veg, hummus and suchlike for snacks if i get really hungry. I am bad at keeping to small portions, partly as I do a lot of exercise and also because I am very active and moving in my work. Any tips on the above gratefully received.
Thanks

Richard

The cost of buying your own meter is usually in the ongoing cost of the strips. So we tend to advocate the most cost efficient in that regard.

I used the SD Codefree for the past 3 years but the past few months have seen some quite odd readings from a particular batch of strips which seemed to be reading higher than usual so I have ditched that as of Jan 1 in favour of the Tee2 meter
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

If you wanted to go for the Codefree its here

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

There are some discount codes around for the strips but I seem to have misplaced them but I'm sure someone will come up with those.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some discount codes around for the strips but I seem to have misplaced them but I'm sure someone will come up with those.

For the Codefree strips..
There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Whichever meter you try, don't forget to tick the box that you are a diabetic. Doing that knocks off the VAT.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the Codefree strips..
There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Whichever meter you try, don't forget to tick the box that you are a diabetic. Doing that knocks off the VAT.
Thanks Daf..I knew you'd have them handy

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Daisy,
Thanks

Richard[/QUOT both me and my husband received a free meter

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/promotions/contour-next-one-giveaway/

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Newcastle Diet is a variation of diets used pre-bariatric surgery to reduce "fatty liver" which can also be called non alcoholic cirrhosis, and can be useful for those people who are skinny on the outside but fat on the inside. if you read Prof Taylor's research it will explain just how it works. It's not easy (I only managed 6 of the 8 weeks when I tried it several years ago) I was dreaming of roast chicken! you can also try Michael Mosley's blood sugar diet which is also a VLCD (very low calorie diet) 800 per day, but uses "real" food.

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
..."fatty liver" which can also be called non alcoholic cirrhosis...
A little correction here: fatty liver is just that - a liver with fat around and in the liver cells. It can be reversed by losing weight.
Cirrhosis is the end result of destruction of the liver. More and more liver cells die and are replaced by scar tissue. This condition is irreversible.

However, untreated non-alcoholic fatty liver disease can progress to cirrhosis.

Reactions: Prem51
M

Member496333

A little correction here: fatty liver is just that - a liver with fat around and in the liver cells. It can be reversed by losing weight.

Actually, technically it can be reversed by refraining from continually and unrelentingly asking it to accept ever increasing amounts of glucose which must be turned into fat in the presence of elevated insulin and insulin resistance. This notion that “losing weight” is the panacea for all ill health really must stop. Weight gain is a symptom of hormonal imbalance and metabolic dysfunction, not the cause. But otherwise yes, fatty liver can be reversed. Often quite quickly, but by reducing ingestion of glucose, and more pertinently, fructose. Not by losing weight per se :)

Last edited by a moderator:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I, too, am not overweight, and yet have had many clueless doctors suggest that losing just 10% of my body weight will cure my diabetes or whatever illness. Docs sometimes get hold of a formula and have a hard time breaking loose from ignorance.

I don't see how taking statins has anything to do with atherosclerosis? Can someone on the forum provide some studies on statins?

What kind of diet do you have? I thought I had a "good diet", too, until I found out it was the wrong one for diabetes

Hi I did the Newcastle diet 3 years ago before I discovered this site - i had a bmi of around 24 and now it's about 19 - the diet is tough, 4 weeks in and my sugar readings were totally normal. The next 4 weeks were brutal Getting off the diet and onto a low carb regime was a challange and it does take a while to settle into a new routine / life style and allowing people around you to understand what you are aiming at. For me eating to the meter was key.

You asked about what to eat. For me it's a few nuts as soon as I get up then early morning walk and late late breakfast / early lunch of 3 X eggs with veg . mushrooms / pepper / onion / spinach Etc. Fried in butter Occasionally with bacon or a steak if I'm feeling that way. Late lunch of salad/ spinach/ onions/ advocado tomatoe tin of fish ( salmon / sardine / mackerel/ crab), dressed with olive oil or advacadoe oil vinegar and mustard. Plenty of salt and pepper

Plenty of fluid during the day. At least 2 litres +.

Supper roast chicken with ratatouille

A few blocks of 85% chocolate

Occasionally red wine and or whiskey.

It's no hardship just a real shift away from the " convience" of bread, pasta, potatoes and porridge.

Hope this helps ...

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Every time someone on this peoples' forum posts what works for them or trials they have gone through that other folks can avoid is a blessing. A lot of what you are eating is accessible and possible for everyone. A lot of what you are eating is stuff I can have excepting the tomatoes. And I don't know what is ratatoille?

Thanks for your response. Ratatouille is, I think, originally Italian, but there are lots of variations , basically a veg stew of seasoned and herbed mix of courgette, onion, tomatoe , and maybe aubergine . IMHO it goes with almost anything and freezes well too