hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hello,
I am a 53 year old male and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 weeks ago. It came as a big shock as I am not overweight, have a good diet and exercise regularly. I have been advised that I could go on Metformin immediately or I could try to put the diabetes into remission by losing weight. The complicating factor is that I have suffered heart problems - a blocked artery - some years ago. This resulted in having stents and going on statins. This is a genetic issue and not linked to diet or weight. My cardiologist advised undertaking the Newcastle diet which I am planning to start very soon. Is anyone out there in a similar situation and/or can advise? Thanks, Richard
Hi richm13 . I highly recommend the Newcastle Diet. I too thought I was not ' over weight ' but applying the principles of the Newcastle ' cure ' I ended up fit , lean and lighter than when I was a 16 year old Rugby player. I was surprised at first to be so light, but now I have got used to it , it's great. No more aches and pains . That was a bonus. My type 2 db was gone. THEN to continue I went LCHF, which I had already started doing during the 8 weeks of dieting . Hunger was not a problem after the first few days. I think you are extremely lucky to have an educated open- minded cardiologist and not a hide bound old fashioned quack.There are too many of those about. Count your blessings, do the Newcastle diet with the help of your cardiologist [and GP too ?] then continue with Low Carb. Good luck.

Reactions: ziggy_w

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Daisy,
What blood glucose meter would you suggest getting? Also how should I judge (based on the results) how to change my diet? What is an acceptable reading after a meal?
As to my diet - i normally begin my day wiht a cup of coffee (semi-skimmed milk, no sugar) and a piece of fruit or a slice (or maybe two of toast with avocado or tomatoe. For lunch I might have soup and some salad and fruit. For dinner I will normally eat with my kids (who are vegeterian) - so a vegetable casserole, curry or salad. I try (not always successfully) to avoid carbs during dinner. I drink a glass or two or wine about 4 times a week, and eat a lot nuts, fruit, veg, hummus and suchlike for snacks if i get really hungry. I am bad at keeping to small portions, partly as I do a lot of exercise and also because I am very active and moving in my work. Any tips on the above gratefully received.
Thanks

Richard
Hi again richm13 I had no support from my GP. But on my own research , asking people, seeing reviews on line, I came up with a popular meter and am reasonably happy with it. They can all be wildy inaccurate - I am told- but my choice was Accuchek. Not expensive. Post prandial readings at two hours ? See the website Blood 101 , where you can see a graph of ' normal ' blood sugars. Two hours after a meal , some sources say should be below 115, other sources say below 140 mg/dL. Same old same old difficulty !

Last edited: