1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New here

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Shaza 1, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Shaza 1

Shaza 1 · Newbie

Hi I’m new here x I was diagnosed with type 2 on 19 Dec 2019 my fasting bloods were 7.6 and are now 5.5 I have also lost just over 2 stone I take metformin twice daily. The only real problem I am having is I constantly have yeast infections which my doctor keeps reeling me is part of diabetes and keeps prescribing me diflucon which costs me a fortune.
    Sorry about the long post x

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Shaza, as a drug-managed diabetic you can get a form from the docs which exempts you from prescription fees - just get them to fill in their bit, complete the rest and post it off. :cat:

You can also get generic fluconazole tablets, which I believe is the active ingredient in most thrush treatments, over the counter or online, even Amazon I think, for a couple of quid a pop which might help tide you over until either you get an prescription exemption or you BS settles and the root cause disappears.

Obviously I am not a doctor, so if it continues then of course you should seek additional medical advice...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If in the UK, not sure where @Shaza 1 is though.

4. Shaza 1

Shaza 1 · Newbie

I’m in Ireland and only my diabetic meds are free as thrush is not a long term illness it’s not free it cost me €10 for 1 tablet, I was just curious to know if anyone else suffers from this.
    Thanks for the advice guys x

5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Before I got my bg down the thrush was horrible. For me, a topical cream worked better than a pill, it's available over the counter where I live (I don't really understand your system of prescription fees).

Do you test your blood sugars after meals as well? Thrush goes together with diabetes so often because we start to pee glucose when we're above 10 or 11 mmol/l, and thrush loves glucose. If your after meal numbers are below 10 I'd expect the thrush to stay away in the near future.
    If not, urge your doctor to look into other causes, all too often health problems are attributed to a pre-existing condition like diabetes.

Good luck, hope you'll be rid of it soon, thrush isn't fun at all!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #5 Antje77, Feb 16, 2020 at 9:01 PM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  6. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’d echo that the pills aren’t always the most effective. Pessaries whilst messy are very effective along with creams. Also make sure any partner is treated or else it can ping pong back and forth. Men don’t always show symptoms so treat regardless.

7. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Your fasting bloods look good, but that could be the metformin taking your morning liver dump down a notch. What are your blood sugars like the rest of the day? Yeast infections thrive on sugar, so if you're high the rest of the time.... They'd be feasting. Do treat with a topical cream, and your partner too. If you're not already doing so, you might want to switch to cotton underwear (and sleeping in the buff to avoid things getting too humid).

If you have a meter, check before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. Could well be your blood sugars are high, and if they still are, that thrush will just keep on coming back, again and again. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this is a way to get them down.

Good luck!
    Jo

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome,

I agree with the previous posters. You've done well so far with your fasting but if you don't regularly test before and after meals I really recommend that you start. Keeping the blood sugar levels low and stable is the best.

Good luck and welcome to the forum- it is an awesome place where people have knowledge and are keen to share.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook