New Low Carb Link To Life Expectancy Should Be Interpreted With Caution

DCUK NewsBot

The media is reporting on a study which suggests a low carb diet could shorten life expectancy, but there are a number of limitations to the study and the findings should be interpreted with caution. The study, conducted by Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, concluded that diets which are high or lower in carbohydrate were associated with greater mortality, an increased risk of early death. Specifically, those who received 50-55% of their energy from carbohydrates (moderate carb consumption) had a slightly lower risk of death compared to low and high carb groups. The way the study was run should pose a number of questions before the results are assessed. The study involved a total of 15,400 people from the US filling out questionnaires on the food and drink they consumed, as well as portion sizes. Questionnaires were conducted at the start of the 25-year trial and six years later. The questionnaires relied upon people remembering what they ate, and it is this information that scientists used to estimate the proportion of calories they received from carbohydrates, fats and protein. There are often accuracy issues with food questionnaires and it is not possible to verify the accuracy of the answers in the study. Furthermore, with diet composition only reported at the start of the trial and six years later, the researchers acknowledge that dietary patterns could have changed over the subsequent 19 years of follow-up. Another point to consider is that the definition of low carb diets used by the researchers was not as low as the low carb diets some people follow for health reasons. Therefore, the results of the study may not be relevant to people who are following stricter low carb or ketogenic diets. What can be concluded from the study, published in The Lancet, is that people who tried lower carb diets or high carbohydrate diets were more likely to die earlier. It’s hard to confirm more than this with any reliability. All in all, the study does not provide robust evidence to be able to assess the long-term health outcomes of low carb diets. Diabetes.co.uk has long advocated a low carb diet, as outlined in our Low Carb Program which can be recommended on the NHS, and the evidence base is growing over low carb's benefits. Last year, the international PURE study showed how total mortality rates were significantly higher in people who ate a diet higher in carbohydrate and/or lower in fat compared with a low carb diet.

Continue reading...

Reactions: Garway and JoycieW

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please, please @DCUKMod could you start putting paragraphs in these reports? its really hard to read and take in when its a wall of text like this.

Reactions: FranceBrun

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please, please @DCUKMod could you start putting paragraphs in these reports? its really hard to read and take in when its a wall of text like this.

Lucy - I'll carry the can for many things, but I don't have anything to do with the writing, or posting of these reports. They are posted by the DCUKNewsBot, not me, DCUKMod.

If you click on the red continue reading link on any of the reports, it takes you to the original, which is all fully paragraphed and much easier to read.

upload_2018-8-17_21-9-17.png

I hope that helps.

Reactions: jonbigboy7

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Caution? You should come at it with a whip and a chair!

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you click on the report to open the original full article you'll see that it does have spaced paragraphs. I guess the forum software strips the empty lines when it's cross-posted.

Reactions: Bigman49

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucy - I'll carry the can for many things, but I don't have anything to do with the writing, or posting of these reports. They are posted by the DCUKNewsBot, not me, DCUKMod.

If you click on the red continue reading link on any of the reports, it takes you to the original, which is all fully paragraphed and much easier to read.

View attachment 28132

I hope that helps.
Just a thought on the @DCUKMod DCUK NewsBot confusion that sometimes occurs: Why not give DCUK NewsBot an avatar of a robot or some gearwheels or something rather than a picture of Jon Snow?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought on the @DCUKMod DCUK NewsBot confusion that sometimes occurs: Why not give DCUK NewsBot an avatar of a robot or some gearwheels or something rather than a picture of Jon Snow?

Curiously enough it has, literally, only been this week that I have been tagged, as the bot.

I'm just impressed others would think I could write so well. :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Curiously enough it has, literally, only been this week that I have been tagged, as the bot.

I'm just impressed others would think I could write so well. :)
I tagged you as you were the first person i thought of to ask.