New member but long term type 2 diabetic - please take your diabetes seriously!!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I am absolutely over the moon if I'm completely honest. I called my mum just to tell her at 8am lol bless her! I woke her up but I was too excited with the progress.

I will try my best to stick by, keep posting my progress and changes as it goes forth.

There is one question I do have if anyone could help - my diet is lacking fibre. The only high fibre food I know of that I like but want to avoid is bran flakes. The problem is I used to cape my bowls with sugar, I really don't like bran flakes without sugar, any recommendations for high fibre foods that are potentially low sugar carbs or even low carbs completely? :) The reason is I seem to be having a very slow passing in my system, I don't really want to have to consume any laxatives..
I have two desert spoons of a mixture of Flaxseeds, Chia seeds and pumpkin seeds some mornings on my Greek yoghurt and berries breakfast, or with my tablespoon of porridge oats. The berries provide the sweetness, and some days I add a touch of double cream too :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am absolutely over the moon if I'm completely honest. I called my mum just to tell her at 8am lol bless her! I woke her up but I was too excited with the progress.

I will try my best to stick by, keep posting my progress and changes as it goes forth.

There is one question I do have if anyone could help - my diet is lacking fibre. The only high fibre food I know of that I like but want to avoid is bran flakes. The problem is I used to cape my bowls with sugar, I really don't like bran flakes without sugar, any recommendations for high fibre foods that are potentially low sugar carbs or even low carbs completely? :) The reason is I seem to be having a very slow passing in my system, I don't really want to have to consume any laxatives..
Firstly your achievement is awesome and your determination is going to get you there. You are so young and hopefully the lower bgs will help the nerves repair so that the pain lessens. If you search the threads on here you may find some encouraging stories too re supplements that might help.
Fibre- non soluble - veggies unless you are chronically constipated in which case avoid adding to the traffic jam..Keep your guts happy and you will be stronger with a great immune system.
Fibre - soluble (you need this type too) = chia seeds soaked in milk sweetened with berries or xylitol. Looks like frog spawn but you can add cocoa powder or close your eyes. Much much better than bran flakes which are already high in glucose and sugar before you add your own. Leave it overnight to soak. You could do same with normal oats but that could risk a blood sugar hike for you (check bgs 2-4 hours afterwards to see what's going on).
Don't have neuropathy but did lose my driving licence after 20 years with type 1 which tbh was when I took my diabetes much more seriously!

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can flavour it too, I use coffee powder or sugar free cocoa powder. Alternatively you could simply put in a few drops of flavouring, orange or lemon essence works well.
Ooh! Even better, thank you

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stick to low carb veges and berries, and have very little trouble - if you do add fibre I'd strongly advise you do so in small amounts. If you consume too much it can be pretty painful as it absorbs a lot of moisture and you still end up with a rigid dried up cannonball.
If needed, I sprinkle half a level teaspoon full of psyllium husk or flour onto my salad - I don't try to drink it as it sticks to the glass and needs to go through the washer three times to remove it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You're not meant to be Type 2 diabetic and you're clearly a good guy choosing Microsoft over the closed Apple shop. You body keeps bouncing back and responding when you give it inputs. Your messaging is extremely powerful and "food for thought" as to how serious management is.

Regarding your transit issue the evidence @bulkbiker showed from Dr Paul Mason is spot on; not only is it scientific, it makes sense. Fibre increases the size of the stole. Those of us on low carb / keto / carnivore know that our stoles are smaller - does a smaller object pass through a smaller hole quicker and easier than a larger one. There's fibre in raspberries / blackberries and a few nuts, so no need to go over the top.

I believe you will need to fully optimise sleep (no 1, as nothing works properly without this), food - your strict diet of:

" plain scrambled egg for breakfast (no salt, butter, milk etc), some sort of fish and salad for lunch, and some sort of chicken dish for dinner.. and water / plain black coffee. That was it, I did this for about 5 months."

Is a great base of protein, especially as you have included fish, but you can upscale the excitement to make it life time sustainable. E,g, chicken could be wrapped in bacon or prosciutto. The chicken could be cooked with Nandos sauce or fajita seasoning. Have you tried roasted minted lamb, protein bread (psmf) with salmon light mayonnaise and back bacon. Curries are phenomenal.

Cardio workouts are ok for the now results, but resistance training builds the muscles to continually burn / displace fat over the long term, I would split resistance to cardio 75 / 25. I have found my A1c has stayed the same, but my fbg is around a point lower and post prandial readings are tighter. Once you are at a certain level you can put in less to maintain and back fill if you have time with cardio.

Keep going and don't look back.