New Pump advice wanted

TSP70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been given a choice of omnipod or medtronic and basal iq. Looking at the first two my concern with the omnipod is that it is bulky and I work in a primary school mainly across Key stage 1 and EYFS and if you know children they constantly pat you, plus under close fitting clothing does it show?
Other thing is my handbag stays in a locker for safety so would it lose signal?

Medtronic not sure which one I qualify for as DSN didn't say but how good is it with the keeping sugar in range as I may have to run after children and can quickly change my sugar levels.
Any advice really appreciate it.

Reactions: Prancy

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you mean "Medtronic smart guard" or "Tandem t:slim Basal IQ", basal IQ is software that sits on a t:slim.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mesitronic 780 or Tandem t slim with basal iq tech
I was hoping you would get some response, because I am also trying to make this decision. There are so many thongs to consider. Since it’s a huge decision, I want to make the right one. I hope those who have experience and opinions will chime in.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The best advice I can offer is make a list of all the things you'd like your pump to do, support, survive and then mark against each one - chose the one that meets majority of your needs. They all differ, they all offer various options, I choose the t:slim in the end because I was already a Dexcom user and its basal IQ plus later control IQ was very appealing to me. There is likely no one on here who can compare from a user perspective the latest three pumps as we are all on one pump for four years so your likely to get views on individual pumps (based upon users individual needs - not yours). I'm sure you will choose the right one.

Last edited:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i have only used an omnipod and i chose it originally because it is tubeless. i love the fact i don't remove it for showering and in my nearly 8 years wearing it i have only lost 4 from ripping them off on a door frame or pulling my jeans up.....omnipod does not need to be near the PDM ( the controller) to keep basal going .. it only needs to be in close proximity for performing functions such as bolusing for food and setting temp basal rates if exercising etc etc

Reactions: Juicyj and Prancy

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi I was a Medtronic 760g user but didn't have the medtronic sensor as it wasn't funded so instead used it with Dexcom G6 (self funded) was ok for a starter but had 3 pumps crack and fail on me and then had to wait a day for a replacement, no major bother just set up with new ratios and off again but not very good experience with Medtronic because of this so when my DSN offered me the t-slim with Control IQ once its warranty was up I leapt at the chance, now over 2 years in, no failures and it's a closed loop system, easy to manage, downsides are the tubing and exercise can be a pain as requires alot of input to manage and avoid hypos, however imo it's still the best system available and happy with it.

tinyroman

I chose the Omnipod because it’s tubeless. I’ve been a bit frustrated at having to input data in order to deliver insulin, but this summer it’s changing to a closed loop system, which means basal blood sugars are kept in range (hopefully) automatically, just taking bolus for meals. I’ve had to change pods more frequently due to bleeding from taking blood thinners, but I’ve recently changed to aspirin so hoping that will stop. Their customer help is very good too.
It’s a big decision as you’re tied into the chosen system for four years, so Chas C’s advice is excellent. After the initial frustrations of using a pump, things settle down and life really does get easier. Good luck with it!

Reactions: himtoo and Chas C

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve never seriously considered Omnipod, because tubes don’t really bother me. I had a rough adjustment period, but after a few weeks, I was acclimated to my Medtronic. Also, I was bothered by the idea of wasting valuable insulin if I tear a pod out. I like the auto mode that I’ve read about. Perhaps, I should give it a look. It looks a little large to me though. I have to wear my CGM on my arms, so where would the pod be placed? Would it be comfortable on my torso? Do I have sufficient real estate to wear the pods? Idk. Lots to consider.

ThomD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've got the same decision coming up. I've been using Medtronic for my last 3 pumps & I'm currently using a 640G along with Freestyle Libres.

To say that I've fallen out of love with Medtronic might be a bit of an understatement: I find the UI clunky and frustrating to use & the Carelink software is also less than great (and they left me struggling for infusion sets last year, when they ran out of stock).

I've been told that I should be on a closed-loop system next time round & they're offering a choice of Medtronic or T:Slim. Has anyone gone from Medtronic to T:Slim, what was their experience?

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've got the same decision coming up. I've been using Medtronic for my last 3 pumps & I'm currently using a 640G along with Freestyle Libres.

To say that I've fallen out of love with Medtronic might be a bit of an understatement: I find the UI clunky and frustrating to use & the Carelink software is also less than great (and they left me struggling for infusion sets last year, when they ran out of stock).

I've been told that I should be on a closed-loop system next time round & they're offering a choice of Medtronic or T:Slim. Has anyone gone from Medtronic to T:Slim, what was their experience?
I think there are and I intently read their input. I’m in the US and as a Medtronic 670 G user, I’m gathering as much info as I can before switching to TSlim with Dexcom CGM or Medtronic 780G (It’s available for order now in the US, but not being delivered until later this summer.) I’m here on this site to gain info from people who have actually used Medtronic 780G, since it’s still not available in the US yet. (Order only). Views vary. It seems to be a mixed bag.

I need an automode system, as a set basal rate doesn’t work well for me. I’ve had a lot of issues with my Medtronic 670 G, however for some reason it started doing well about a month ago. It doesn’t wake me up at night or give me a hard time with sensor updating notifications……it’s a MIRACLE! My CGM numbers are close to my finger sticks, automode works well, and my life is so much more peaceful! My time in range is quite good and I’m now considering upgrading to the 780G, since it offers even more than Dexcom with the automated micro boluses.

It‘s such a big decision. I‘ll look forward to seeing your posts. Costs is a factor for me, even though I have insurance, the out of pocket costs to me is significant. I got a price quote on the TSlim and Dexcom, along with supplies and it’s very expensive. If the Medtronic 780G is that pricey, I may have to keep my existing pump and just invest in a new transmitter.

Jerryshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use a medtronic 780g with Guardian 4 sensors and it is very good - it has auto delivery stop if your blood sugar drops too low and auto turn on when it reaches a safer, higher level. The tubing is fine and the pump is worn in a small zip up pouch on my belt

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a medtronic 780g with Guardian 4 sensors and it is very good - it has auto delivery stop if your blood sugar drops too low and auto turn on when it reaches a safer, higher level. The tubing is fine and the pump is worn in a small zip up pouch on my belt
Very good to know. Do you find in auto mode it runs smoothly or does it tend to run you low over night? My AUTOMODE was running me low overnight, until I started eating a 15 carb snack in the evening. Now, it’s fine.

ThomD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think there are and I intently read their input. I’m in the US and as a Medtronic 670 G user, I’m gathering as much info as I can before switching to TSlim with Dexcom CGM or Medtronic 780G (It’s available for order now in the US, but not being delivered until later this summer.) I’m here on this site to gain info from people who have actually used Medtronic 780G, since it’s still not available in the US yet. (Order only). Views vary. It seems to be a mixed bag.

I need an automode system, as a set basal rate doesn’t work well for me. I’ve had a lot of issues with my Medtronic 670 G, however for some reason it started doing well about a month ago. It doesn’t wake me up at night or give me a hard time with sensor updating notifications……it’s a MIRACLE! My CGM numbers are close to my finger sticks, automode works well, and my life is so much more peaceful! My time in range is quite good and I’m now considering upgrading to the 780G, since it offers even more than Dexcom with the automated micro boluses.

It‘s such a big decision. I‘ll look forward to seeing your posts. Costs is a factor for me, even though I have insurance, the out of pocket costs to me is significant. I got a price quote on the TSlim and Dexcom, along with supplies and it’s very expensive. If the Medtronic 780G is that pricey, I may have to keep my existing pump and just invest in a new transmitter.
It's very early days so far, but I've made the switch to the T:Slim and Dexcom G6 and it's been a very good experience. The pump is a huge improvement on the 640G and the integration with the sensors is very good as well. I'll try to update this when I've got a few weeks under my belt.

Reactions: Juicyj and Chas C

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It's very early days so far, but I've made the switch to the T:Slim and Dexcom G6 and it's been a very good experience. The pump is a huge improvement on the 640G and the integration with the sensors is very good as well. I'll try to update this when I've got a few weeks under my belt.
Me too - over 2 years now on T Slim and G6 and yeah sure t1d has still thrown the odd curve ball, but the system is excellent, wouldn't change to anything else now.

Reactions: ThomD