New T2 from Oz

mud_shark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good evening everyone.

I'm a 41yo male, recently moved to the UK from Australia (no, I'm not mad :) I love it here!

I was diagnosed T2 on my birthday last year... Sugars were 26 at the time. I've been a (very) big bloke for a good 20 years, so was more disappointed in myself than upset... I actually diagnosed myself. I knew all the symptoms so for me it seemed obvious. There was no way I had lost 10kg out of nowhere when I hadn't been particularly well behaved on the diet/exercise front.

I am on 2000mg Metformin/day.

So I've changed a few things... pretty much from Day 1 I have cut out about 90% of the carbs I eat. It took about 3-4 weeks, but my sugars stabilised between 6.0-7.5. The numbers have been quite steady... which I'm reasonably pleased with.

I have struggled to exercise, my bad. I have kept off the 10kg that I lost in the month pre-diagnosis - but other than that my weight has remained the same. I know I can improve.

So that's about it from me. I look forward to participating... Cheers

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Are you sure you aren't a mis-diagnosed Late onset T1? Losing weight unexpectedly just prior to diagnosis and being young are strong pointers. Keep an eye on your blood sugar and HBa1C.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Well done with the food issues @mud_shark , welcome to the forums.