New to insulin treatment

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi, I would appreciate some advice for my new insulin treatment (also added with glyclazide and Metformin), though reduced by my dr. in fear of kidney-- though I am Stage 3 and recovered from a drug interaction. The antidiabetics became less effective after 10 yrs.

So, this insulin pens is a new treatment. I am trying to be practical and learn the steps. What I would like to know is what is a SAFE number before going to bed?

I would appreciate any information.

Erin

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did your doctor/consultant/DN not give any suggestions?
We cannot advise on dosages as everyone is different (and we're not your doctor), for example what I take could kill some, yet would not be nearly enough for others.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Erin, I agree with @Rokaab.
But you could be pointed towards graphs and so on about what your insulin's general effect is
and this could facilitate discussions with your prescriber.
Your prescriber is the one who is supposed to have answered these questions at the outset.
What insulin have you been prescribed, what doses and at what time (s)?
Best Wishes :):):)

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Erin, I agree with @Rokaab.
But you could be pointed towards graphs and so on about what your insulin's general effect is
and this could facilitate discussions with your prescriber.
Your prescriber is the one who is supposed to have answered these questions at the outset.
What insulin have you been prescribed, what doses and at what time (s)?
Best Wishes :):):)
Thanks Rokaab. I did see an algorithm in the Joslin book and that may help. Also experience can tell if you count your number before going to bed, and waking up alive :). I will mention it to my nurse. Bingo

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Did your doctor/consultant/DN not give any suggestions?
Thanks Rokaab. I did see an algorithm in the Joslin book and that may help. Also experience can tell if you count your number before going to bed, and waking up alive :). I will mention it to my nurse. Bingo

Seriously, no one should be given insulin without some initial instructions on when and how much you should take. It's true that taking too much can kill you. Not a doctor, (so what do I know?), but I would think it medically negligent to hand out insulin without dosage instructions. Good luck.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my advice (not medical so feel free to disregard) would be to start with a very small amount and test, then after a few days a little increase and test and so on until you get where you want to be, what you eat will affect this also so test test test is the key, do you perhaps have the means to get a Freestyle Libre? Even if just for a month, it will tell you a great deal about whats going on, much more useful than the few tests a day recommended.

Also buy some glucotabs from the chemist/supermarket and keep them with you at all times, along with your meter.

In my experience you can buy them over the chemist counter, but you may have to hunt for a chemist that has them in stock.

It has been a great thing for me even though all you read is bad things about type 2’s taking it. If nothing else works for us then its a great idea, wished I had been put on it years ago.

Good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Me too. I only feel alive on the correct amount of insulin.
As of taking insulin before bed..... who has suggested you do that?
Are you eating before bed?
Try and get out of that habit. Your liver can do a good job if you have fasted through the night. Dawn phenomenon can only help a little though so don't rely on it if you are forced to take insulin before bed.

Your 3 meals and no snacks with liver dumping is enough to carry you through even the most strenuous of days.

Are you snacking or eating through the night?
It is common in people to get into naughty habits.

Any change you make must be guided by your dietician. When do you see yours next?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you've been given no instructions on insulin use, personally I would wait till you speak to your nurse or doctor and get the instructions on your starting dose before actually starting.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Erin , please approach insulin treatment with great respect. It is a very strong hormone, and whilst it can do wonders, it can also do great harm.

I agree you should have been given firm guidance prior to being started on insulin, and a good range of answers to "what if......" scenarios. Please contact your health care provider as soon as you can.

M

Member496333

I am most definitely not qualified to give advice on insulin dosing, but my word of caution for an insulin resistant diabetic would be to use the minimum amount possible, and to treat diet as the primary means of achieving that goal.

Reactions: WuTwo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The important thing is to use the meter frequently. Are you on two insulins (Basal/Bolus) or twice a day mixed? Yes your GP is negligent in not giving you more advice on the use of insulin as that can be dangerous. BTW it is not normal to have both insulin and Gliclazide as insulin does the job of the tablet. You need to query this with the GP.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. The important thing is to use the meter frequently. Are you on two insulins (Basal/Bolus) or twice a day mixed? Yes your GP is negligent in not giving you more advice on the use of insulin as that can be dangerous. BTW it is not normal to have both insulin and Gliclazide as insulin does the job of the tablet. You need to query this with the GP.
Thank you Daibell. I am on one injection at night, first minimum 10 and now 12, with Gliclazide and Metformin. I have sent a note to my nurse that this should be the limit, as I am afraid of hypos, and yes I frequently check the meter.

Cheers

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi Erin, what insulin have you been prescribed ?