new to low carb diet, can i become hypo?

themutant

hi so i started my low carb diet 4 days ago and ive started to feel tired, shaky and i always seem to be hot. is it possible that switching my diet completely plus the metaformin im taking is dropping my blood sugar levels and giving me hypo or am i just needing time to adjust to the low carb diet? i realize this may be a dumb question but im a worrier so i thought it best to ask here rather than bother my doctor

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your blood sugars have been running high for a while then lower levels might feel quite odd.
The first time I went below 4 mmol/l it was an odd feeling but didn't last for long and after that it seemed to not effect to me at all.
Are you measuring your levels as it would be very useful to know what they are if you are feeling odd.
It's fairly unlikely that you are really "hypo" if you are only taking metformin as it's not known to cause it.

Last edited:

themutant

thanks for the reply. i havent been monitoring my levels as i dont have a monitor just yet ( i was only diagnosed 5 days ago) but i have ordered a codefree monitor and plan to do so.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for the reply. i havent been monitoring my levels as i dont have a monitor just yet ( i was only diagnosed 5 days ago) but i have ordered a codefree monitor and plan to do so.
Sounds like a plan. Your feelings could come down to what is called a "false hypo". Feels like one, acts like one, and the only way to distinguish it from the real thing is your meter telling you you're low or not. Just your body freaking out because it's used to being higher. It'll adjust in time. As your meter hasn't come in yet though, between being T2 and on metformin only, the odds that you're really hypo are extremely slim.

It still feels scary though. If you feel like that, eat something low in carbs, high in fats. Pork scratchings, olives, cheese... That should help.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
hi so i started my low carb diet 4 days ago and ive started to feel tired, shaky and i always seem to be hot. is it possible that switching my diet completely plus the metaformin im taking is dropping my blood sugar levels and giving me hypo or am i just needing time to adjust to the low carb diet? i realize this may be a dumb question but im a worrier so i thought it best to ask here rather than bother my doctor
If you’re going ultra low carb, keep an eye on your electrolytes. I had to add a pinch of salt to my water jug

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some type 2 diabetics, like me, can go down to 2. It isn't life threatening, but can be unpleasant. I find that if I rest, eventually my levels come back up. The hypos were more frequent at the beginning of me lowering my carbs. Now they are usually linked to me not eating enough protein or emotional upset, or anything adrenaline producing.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never heard of a true hypo for a T2 with diet and metformin only. I hope you adjust quickly and feel better. I had similar symptoms the first time I went on meds for diabetes several years ago. It made me pretty paranoid.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Changes in BG levels can make you feel unsettled.
I'm on a drive at the moment to get my BG levels right down by once again (!) being strict low carbohydrate.
I can feel an unsettling difference but I am nowhere near hypo territory.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well false hypos the other likely possibility is that you aren’t getting g enough electrolytes and are suffering low carb keto flu. Make sure you are drinking enough fluids and replacing good amounts of sodium, magnesium and potassium (supplements if you can’t get enough by way of food). All will help you adapt more quickly and the lack of them can make you feel really quite rubbish.

Finally are you also on blood pressure medication? This can also need reassessing and reducing quite quickly when carbs are drastically lowered. Perhaps if you have a home monitor take a reading or two when feeling off for this as well as blood glucose.

Reactions: chani111