New to pump - reducing foot on floor

charleym

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I got an omnipod last week and it was very much 'here's a pump, put these numbers in, this is what the buttons do, good luck!' I have another 2 weeks before the follow up appointment with my DSN.

Overall, my levels seem more stable than when injecting, especially overnight. I'm just trying to work out how to reduce the foot on floor effect without just taking massive corrections every morning.

I get up about 8.45am and eat nothing until at least 12.30pm.

Photo attached for this morning, this was after adding a temp bolus of +30% from when I woke up to see if it made any difference (it didn't).

If the rise is starting when I get up, what sort of time period do I need to increase the insulin input for to prevent this.... im assuming maybe 2-3 hours before I wake up so from about 5.30am?

Thanks in advance

Charley
Screenshot_20210818-184455.jpg

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends on what insulin you are using and how fast it works for you so requires some trial and error.
Personally, I would start on the more conservative side (maybe an hour before the peak) and work your way back 15 or 30 minutes at a time. The great thing about pump basal is that you don’t have to wait a couple of days for the change to effect like some slow acting insulins

charleym

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends on what insulin you are using and how fast it works for you so requires some trial and error.
Personally, I would start on the more conservative side (maybe an hour before the peak) and work your way back 15 or 30 minutes at a time. The great thing about pump basal is that you don’t have to wait a couple of days for the change to effect like some slow acting insulins
I'm on Fiasp, so should be fairly quick

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on Fiasp, so should be fairly quick
I find it much much easier to get out ahead with an increased hourly rate a few hours prior to dawn. It makes sense to adjust basal and your original dose may have been calculated conservatively due to the increased absorption when you use a pump rather than mdi.

That said be conservative with your hourly adjustment and also remember to change the tubing/canula site as frequently as advised as this does make a difference. Not saying that's you on this occasion.

I also skip breakfast or do low carb, and exercise. Perversely this seems to encourage my liver to chuck out more glucose unless its very gentle exercise e.g. walking.

I like my pump but it does take a bit of work to get it right on the basal front!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @charleym Great news on the pump :)

In regards to foot on floor, I also get it but just eat a few spoons of plain low fat greek yoghurt after waking to trick my body and it keeps my BG levels in range, I am not a breakfast person but for the sake of a rise that takes me half a day to manage, a couple of spoons of yoghurt is an easy fix. In regards to pump adjustments, try not to dive in on adjusting your ratios, try to review every 2-3 days with tiny adjustments, I have around 8 different settings throughout the day and use the data from my Dexcom to identify patterns for adjusting this or if I really need to tighten things up I do a basal fasting test to pinpoint timings. I seem to manage foot on the floor well now, except the odd time I wake up without my brain in gear and go straight out for a run and then play catch up till 12 to get my levels in range again.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hiya
I commenced omnipod dash in March & was lucky enough to receive team meetings training. I am on novorapid but another girl was in fiasp, we were all told to change rate 2 hours before.
Best of luck.