new to site - some advice please

lorraine

Hi, I am 44 and developed diabetes in pregnancy seven years ago. After pregnancy I was borderline for about five years but diagnosed and put on three Metformin per day about two years ago. On my last checkup in May this year my blood test had revealed sugars of over 7 so my metformin was increased to four per day. However more recently I have felt really rotten. I feel tired all the time and sick, I can be really short tempered and have little energy past 3pm. My first fasting test of the day can be between 9 and 15. My tests 2 hours after eating again can be between 7 and 13. Sometimes I have rapid pulse. I am wondering at what stage you need to go onto insulin and would I feel better? I just feel I have little control of this at the moment.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum ,Lorraine.Can you give us some idea of what your diet is like,and we will see if we can help you?

lorraine

I try to eat healthily,and cook from fresh most of the time. However I am so hungry late in the evening it is hard to control my appetite. For breakfast I will have cereal usually 2 weetabix or a dry crumpet or cereal bar. For lunch usually a sandwich or snack i.e. beans on toast or baked potato and for dinner a home cooked meal curry and rice, lasagne, shepards pie usually with veg and always from weight watchers recipe books which are low fat. After 9pm I am really hungry and do have snacks maybe crisps or biscuits. I can't figure out why I do not get the same compulsion to eat through the day as I do late on in the evening. I am overweight and find it difficult to loose weight even though I take alot of exercise, probably my late night eating

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Looking at that list.Lorraine ,you eat a lot of carbohydrate during your day.carbohydrate is converted into sugars which ,in turn,put up your blood sugars.Running on high blood sugars(BS) makes you tired.
What time do you eat at night? Maybe if you eat a bit later then you would not feel so hungry and go for the high carb snacks like crisps.The best way to bring down your BS is to lower your consumption of Carbohydrate.If you red some of the threads on the forum you will find a lot of info about this.

ChocFish

Hi Lorraine, welcome to the forum

As Sue has already pointed out to you, your diet is too high in carbohydrates, I know that you have been diabetic for a few years now, but I wonder have you ever read the book by Dr Bernstein, The Diabetes Solution? It has become the diabetics bible, and this is one book that everybody should read.

I suggest you start reading posts in this forum, and I am sending you links to start you off with, you will soon see that we are all promoting the low carb approach, it helps many of us to lose weight and to achieve the bg levels of a non-diabetic. It is not always necessary for a type 2 diabetic to switch to insulin, many manage on just diet and exercise or oral meds, diet and exercise, most need to reduce their carb intake though, if not then medication needs to be increased all the time and losing weight becomes almost impossible.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3869&start=15
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3527&p=18539#p18539
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3763

You will soon see that you are not alone in your current situation and that there is so much encouragement and support on offer in here.

Do come back and ask any questions that you may have, and share the good and not so good experiences with us.

All the best

Karen

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The other thing I note is that you're being treated as a T2. I was under the impression that most women who present with gestaional diabetes go on to develop a T1 form, which requires insulin.
It could be that you have depleted all your beta cells and Metformin won't work any more. You need to go back to the doctor to get this checked out.. It may be that a c-peptide test would show whether you are still making any insulin of your own.

mikecarter

I'd say browse around this site and take in all the information on offer here. The low carb info is excellent and will certainly improve your BS levels. I am so glad I found this site so early in my diagnosis. I now feel it is my destiny to fight the misinformation I have been given from other so called reputable sources. I have also had 2 Jameson's whiskys :D

Trinkwasser

lorraine said:
I try to eat healthily,and cook from fresh most of the time. However I am so hungry late in the evening it is hard to control my appetite. For breakfast I will have cereal usually 2 weetabix or a dry crumpet or cereal bar. For lunch usually a sandwich or snack i.e. beans on toast or baked potato and for dinner a home cooked meal curry and rice, lasagne, shepards pie usually with veg and always from weight watchers recipe books which are low fat. After 9pm I am really hungry and do have snacks maybe crisps or biscuits. I can't figure out why I do not get the same compulsion to eat through the day as I do late on in the evening. I am overweight and find it difficult to loose weight even though I take alot of exercise, probably my late night eating

Whoever told you that was a healthy diet for a diabetic needs putting out of their misery with a lump hammer. Starting from the knees and working gradually upwards.

<sigh>

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Lorraine,

It takes a bit to get your head around it, but you've been badly mislead about the healthy diet. A high carbohydrate, low fat diet is probably the diabetics worst enemy.
If you want to normalise your blood sugars, lower your blood lipids and lose a bit of weight, you should try and restrict your intake of refined and starchy carbohydrates as much as possible.

All the best,
fergus