Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh and some testing kit info that might come in handy:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Reactions: Major Buckmaster

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No its the dark chocolate I hate. I cannot stand it. Its like morning sickness. I can't even look at the stuff. Where are these cakes you speak off????

There are recipes for cheese cake, carrot cake and brownies -- others have other recipes. If you interested, I can pm them to you.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Try just a square of dark chocolate with a glass of red.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Reactions: Prem51

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Just want to say to you all. I am really overwhelmed by the help and advice. I have been doing well weight loss wise and generally trying my best to eat and live well. But was feeling very lonely and lost over it all. However in less than a day you've managed to cheer me up and help me make sense of things.

Thank you!❤️

NaomiT

I couldn't cope without bread, or toast at least! If you freeze your bread (slice it first!), then toast - it changes the molecular structure of the bread to create a resistant carb rather than glucose inducing, with the bonus of it taking longer for your body to digest and process so you feel fuller for longer. Same effect with pasta if you let it go cold and then reheat - great for batch cooking for the freezer. This show was very interesting and helpful to watch, it happened to be on the week I was diagnosed t2.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/outside-the-uk-watch-the-bbc-documentary-the-truth-about-carbs
Once you're getting to grips with using your testing kit and have been retested for your Hba1c you should defitely revisit the question of metformin. Your levels were high but you're doing really well in taking steps to reduce your levels. I did the low carb high fat thing and reversed my diagnosis in three months, and I have struggled with health and weight for over a decade so if I can do it...!

Also, Oppi ice cream - it's amazing!! Avoid the cookie dough as its pretty high in sugar, but the other flavours are lovely and very low carb (zero sugar) for ice cream. Obviously don't have it every day though!

Apples - don't cook them or juice them. I eat them raw most days. I also eat a lot of watermelon and frozen berries. Avoid grapes and bananas completely. Having did all that, if you're getting a monitor you'll work out what spikes your levels.

You're doing so well, especially with little support. You'll ace this, I'm sure of it!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
nth ago I have really blurry vision which I know is normal a
Hello All.

I'm new to diabetes. (Diagnosed 2.5 months ago. After seeing the nurse I changed my diet the next day and all my symptoms disappeared (thirst, frequent peeing.) So I am pleased that stopped! Was a nightmare.
I know how to diet successfully and have lost over a stone, maybe 2.

My reading was 112 so off the chart! I'm on metformin and hate it and not sure what it does or what it's doing?
I have Ulcerative Colitis so it does me no favours there. I have so many meds I can't stand being on more.

A month ago I have really blurry vision which I know is normal and its gone now. Was that caused by the sugar coming down?

Also I was told by the nurse not to test as my reading was so high. I have to have another blood test in Nov and then I will know how far I have dropped.

Please no scares please. I am also on meds for anxiety lol.
Hi, and welcome!

High BS, so don't test? That is kindof like saying, "Close your eyes when clossing the street.". Doesn't make sense, does it? Bottom line, teststrips are expensive, and NHS doesn't like paying for them. We've heard a thousand different excuses here, but far as I know, that one's new. So, you're going the low carb route, but you're still flying blind. As we're all special little snowflakes (everyone's insulin resistance, insulin response and liver dump is different, making a diet always highly personal), you won't know what certain foods do unless you test. For the bulk of us, even "brown" carbs are a no-no. That might be different for you, but you won't know unless you test, test, and test some more. (Before you start eating and 2 hours after first bite. If your numbers go up more than 2 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than your body could handle. Some would say test an hour, two hours, and three hours after the meal, but that makes for a very, very expensive day, as a self-funder. Though it might be worth it at the start though). Once I knew what foods did what, I felt a whole lot more at ease and could reduce testing dramatically. So it won't always be an arm and a leg. ;)

As for Metformin... I don't quite see how they could even risk putting you on that when there's Colitis Ulcerosa already present... Even if you didn't respond badly to it, its potential to make a bad situation worse is just... Not worth it, in my opinion. (And it IS just my opinion. But a friend of mine had it, so I've seen rather up-close the misery it can cause without being aggrivated by something else). I know what Metformin did to my intestines, I can only imagine what it may be doing to yours. The good news: If you go low carb/high fat, the meds could well go out the window. Metformin does make a little difference, but it doesn't hold a candle to what a change in diet can do.

I don't know how willing you are to ditch or reduce carbs even further than you already have? Add in fats and protein to keep from starving all the time? I'm at about 20 grams of carbs a day right now and my bloodsugars are fine, non-diabetic. In spite of having sinusitis and an inflamed tear duct right now, which should've sent me into double digits bloodwise, but didn't.

Foods like this would help: leafy greens, above ground, non-starch veggies, eggs, full fat greek yoghurt, berries in moderate amounts (other fruits are too sugary), cheese, olives, proper, real butter, fish, meat (bacon is about to become your best friend, potentially), avocado (which I now realise is also a fruit, but what the heck), and I have to say, cauliflower rice is versatile enough to take the place of some other foods. On our table it has replaces rice and potato, in any case. I have extra dark chocolate almost daily, nuts too...

KFC is fine if you peel off the crust. And heck, I started going to McD's and BK again once I found out a burger is low carb if you leave off the bun! (Around 5 grams of carbs opposed to almost 30 to 40. People taking your order won't even blink at the request, so no worries there. Add extra bacon and greens to make it a little more filling, and Bob's your uncle!).

Your eyeproblems came fom high bloodsugars. Glocose ends up in your eyes, and distorts vision. Your brain makes corrections for it, so when you start dropping, it has to correct all over again as the glucose leaves your eyes. So no worries, it's normal.

And anxiety often gets worse as bloodsugars rise. (As does depression, emotional instability and what have you.) I've been a non-functioning wreck my whole life, but with my bloodsugars under control I have fewer panic attacks, and they don't last as long when they do hit. So you might feel a change in that too. Not too scary, eh? ;)

Good luck!
Jo

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh another thing! Sorry for all the questions I just have no clue!

When the nurse told me my reading all she said was it was 112 which is off the chart. What does that mean? I don't understand any of it!
112 will be the result of your HbA1c blood test. On that scale below 42 is non-diabetic. 42-47 is pre-diabetic, and 48 and above is diabetic.
So 112 is quite high, but there are forum members who had higher figures than that but brought them down by changing how they eat.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for your help. Yes the nurses are useless. I just don't understand why the advice is eat plenty of fruit when everyone who is actually diabetic says they can't eat it.

I was told a banana a day is fine, apples are fine. Seems they have no idea what they're talking about!

But I will have an apple every now and then.

How about those frozen bags of mixed berries, please tell me those are fine? I love those! I can eat those with cream.
The frozen (or fresh) berries are fine. Other fruit will have high sugar (fructose) content, especially tropical fruit.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Major Buckmaster

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, and welcome!

High BS, so don't test? That is kindof like saying, "Close your eyes when clossing the street.". Doesn't make sense, does it? Bottom line, teststrips are expensive, and NHS doesn't like paying for them. We've heard a thousand different excuses here, but far as I know, that one's new. So, you're going the low carb route, but you're still flying blind. As we're all special little snowflakes (everyone's insulin resistance, insulin response and liver dump is different, making a diet always highly personal), you won't know what certain foods do unless you test. For the bulk of us, even "brown" carbs are a no-no. That might be different for you, but you won't know unless you test, test, and test some more. (Before you start eating and 2 hours after first bite. If your numbers go up more than 2 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than your body could handle. Some would say test an hour, two hours, and three hours after the meal, but that makes for a very, very expensive day, as a self-funder. Though it might be worth it at the start though). Once I knew what foods did what, I felt a whole lot more at ease and could reduce testing dramatically. So it won't always be an arm and a leg. ;)

As for Metformin... I don't quite see how they could even risk putting you on that when there's Colitis Ulcerosa already present... Even if you didn't respond badly to it, its potential to make a bad situation worse is just... Not worth it, in my opinion. (And it IS just my opinion. But a friend of mine had it, so I've seen rather up-close the misery it can cause without being aggrivated by something else). I know what Metformin did to my intestines, I can only imagine what it may be doing to yours. The good news: If you go low carb/high fat, the meds could well go out the window. Metformin does make a little difference, but it doesn't hold a candle to what a change in diet can do.

I don't know how willing you are to ditch or reduce carbs even further than you already have? Add in fats and protein to keep from starving all the time? I'm at about 20 grams of carbs a day right now and my bloodsugars are fine, non-diabetic. In spite of having sinusitis and an inflamed tear duct right now, which should've sent me into double digits bloodwise, but didn't.

Foods like this would help: leafy greens, above ground, non-starch veggies, eggs, full fat greek yoghurt, berries in moderate amounts (other fruits are too sugary), cheese, olives, proper, real butter, fish, meat (bacon is about to become your best friend, potentially), avocado (which I now realise is also a fruit, but what the heck), and I have to say, cauliflower rice is versatile enough to take the place of some other foods. On our table it has replaces rice and potato, in any case. I have extra dark chocolate almost daily, nuts too...

KFC is fine if you peel off the crust. And heck, I started going to McD's and BK again once I found out a burger is low carb if you leave off the bun! (Around 5 grams of carbs opposed to almost 30 to 40. People taking your order won't even blink at the request, so no worries there. Add extra bacon and greens to make it a little more filling, and Bob's your uncle!).

Your eyeproblems came fom high bloodsugars. Glocose ends up in your eyes, and distorts vision. Your brain makes corrections for it, so when you start dropping, it has to correct all over again as the glucose leaves your eyes. So no worries, it's normal.

And anxiety often gets worse as bloodsugars rise. (As does depression, emotional instability and what have you.) I've been a non-functioning wreck my whole life, but with my bloodsugars under control I have fewer panic attacks, and they don't last as long when they do hit. So you might feel a change in that too. Not too scary, eh? ;)

Good luck!
Jo
I absolutely agree with everything you say and that is exactly how I was able to come off the insulin, lose weight and stay off the insulin.

I had a meal in Pizza Express yesterday. A lovely salad with goats cheese and chicken, olives and tiny chilli peppers and you were right what you say - the person taking my order didn't even blink at my request for no dressing, no croutons and no bread.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Thank you all so much!

I am a Muslim so don't drink or eat pork. But can give the turkey stuff a go. Failing that it will have to be quorn!

I ate quorn bacon and scrambled egg this morning and ditched the toast you'll be pleased to hear.

The Metformin issue made me mad because I had my colitis under a good amount of control and then I started flaring again.
I will be seeing my consultant and she and the gastro team are ace so she will no doubt be having strong words with my surgery and will adjust my meds for me. I am looking forward to seeing what she does!

I do find it all so stressful. I home school my kids, I run a business full time I have just passed my driving test and can't get the car into 3rd gear lol and I have my first eye check next week so am nervous about any damage so am like a coiled spring right now!

Speaking of the eye test. (Last question promise!) Can you have it done at the opticians? Is it quicker results?

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
The frozen (or fresh) berries are fine. Other fruit will have high sugar (fructose) content, especially tropical fruit.
Thank you. Thats great, will stock up! And full fat cream is fine with trying to lose weight?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so much!

I am a Muslim so don't drink or eat pork. But can give the turkey stuff a go. Failing that it will have to be quorn!

I ate quorn bacon and scrambled egg this morning and ditched the toast you'll be pleased to hear.

The Metformin issue made me mad because I had my colitis under a good amount of control and then I started flaring again.
I will be seeing my consultant and she and the gastro team are ace so she will no doubt be having strong words with my surgery and will adjust my meds for me. I am looking forward to seeing what she does!

I do find it all so stressful. I home school my kids, I run a business full time I have just passed my driving test and can't get the car into 3rd gear lol and I have my first eye check next week so am nervous about any damage so am like a coiled spring right now!

Speaking of the eye test. (Last question promise!) Can you have it done at the opticians? Is it quicker results?

I had mine done at the hospital: they take a picture of the inner eye, see if there's been any bleeds/damage. I don't know if they can see that at the optician's... I'd just give them a call if I were you, and ask whether they can see any bleeds in the back of your eye, through the iris. In any case, don't do anything about glasses until your BS has been stable for a while, because I have two perfectly good pairs here I can't see through: I got them when I didn't know I was diabetic, and they're absolutely useless. ;)

As for bacon, well... Loads of alternatives, thankfully. And chicken with the skin on is nice & fat too, so... Bacon is just easy and cheap, but any fatty meat will do when it comes to filling up to satiety. (And yes, it is possible, more than even, to lose weight while eating fat. :) )