New Type2 Diagnosis - 10 days in and random thoughts and questions...

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, I was diagnosed Type2 last Thursday ...
1. this wasn't particularly a shocking development to either myself or my husband (who was with me)
why no surprise? because I've been overweight for probably nigh on 40 yrs, (give or take), and 2 of my 7 siblings have both been diagnosed some years ago.
2. it was / is frightening - one of my 2 brothers also suffered from depression and that played a role in his not caring for himself after his diagnosis - this led eventually to amputation of his left foot, and eventually to him dying of a stroke in 2011.
2b) it was/is frightening - my numbers at diagnosis were better than double what my doctor wants them to be (and is confirmed by the 'what should my blood glucose levels be' on this website). 16mmol/L. She sorta subtly hinted at "Why are you walking around not feeling like ****/death warmed over/ dead?" When my doctor seems nervous, that's kinda scary.
3. it was / is embarrassing - see above two statements - I've been whistling in the wind for years, half expecting this, going through the motions of diet and exercise for 6 months / a year ... aware that I needed to take better care - In other words - I knew better than to let it get to this. I won't tell my mother - because I can't stand to hear her "see I told you" right now (if ever)
3b) it was / is embarrassing - I've put my poor long suffering husband through a lot of difficult life changes in the last 5 yrs (we've been married 10 this year), I hate putting him through this too ... and while it may be MY diagnosis, it will impact on him, us, the whole family.
4. it was / is depressing - I'm a passionate cook, particularly baking .... I love my carbs. Just before my diagnosis I was working towards getting a spot at our local farmer's market to sell syrups and cordials and flavoured ices.
5. it was/is overwhelming - despite all the knowledge and education and prior research and exposure to diabetes before the diagnosis, it's different when it's happening to you and see point 2 and point 3 and point 4 .... and woah.... gimme a second to catch my breath....

Ok so that was 10 days ago.

The doctor has me on metformin 500mg - started me on slowly 1/2 tab once a day 3 days, 1/2 tab twice a day 3 day, then full tab twice a day.... because of the 'digestive upset' potential side effects, (my pharmacist was a bit more graphic than the doctor was about those) ...well didn't see any of that on a half tab, so moved up after 2 days ... since I've gone to the full tab things have been a bit uncomfortable, but that seems to be easing up a little bit.

No one has told me how quickly I should be seeing an improvement in the numbers. But 10 days in and I'm seeing 8's and 9's (down from 14-16) so target range of 6+/- is in sight and that pleases me.

We're trying to take this in stride and remember that the lifestyle changes this is forcing was a direction we were working in anyway - aside from a higher reliance on carbs than perhaps would have been good, my diet wasn't HORRIBLE - just maybe a bit much... so we've removed all sugar sweetened items, almost completely eliminated all bread / potato / rice / pasta - and when it does include bread then it's a half portion and it's whole grain.

Breakfast is the most difficult meal of the day to accommodate - all cereals are kinda carb heavy, and eggs everyday isn't maybe the best choice (and don't you always want toast with your eggs?). So balancing eggs with a half a whole grain bagel with high fibre low carb cereals like steel cut oats and 12 grain cooked cereal.

Trying to consider this a positive thing - these were lifestyle changes I was working towards - it just fast tracking some of them. I do all my own cooking and am food educated - so using this as an opportunity for recipe development and I'm pretty good at that. I found some very interesting baking options through jewish passover recipes - (grain / leavened baked goods are forbidden) - like a lovely blueberry muffin made with almond meal and beaten egg whites that - isn't quite what we'd call a muffin, different texture, but neither unpleasant nor untasty - I think I'm going to use this basis for further recipe development. ( http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/flourless-almond-blueberry-muffins ). I've also downloaded all the cookbooks / recipes on this site and shared them with Him (as he does share cooking duties). Still trying to think my way around the Farmers Market plan - haven't given that up entirely.

I am feeling good about seeing the numbers come down - I figured my next blood test was for 6 weeks from diagnosis so maybe I wasn't gonna drop dead on the spot - still not sure how 'fast' they should drop but they're coming down so it's good right? I am also finding that I am feeling 'better' - I didn't feel all that badly - I thought, but I was tired and worn out, figured that was just a product of working the night shift. Now it may be that it's springtime now and we've got some sun after weeks of rain, or it may be diet changes, or blood sugars dropping, but in general my energy levels seem to be improving. (and as a side note, there's been an improvement in my depression this past 6-8 months - still getting the blues a bit, but the deep gut wrenching death wishing crashes seem to be gone, that's more hormonal - God bless Menopause). And well bluntly my libido is back, honestly I thought that was a menopause thing, I thought when they talked about sexual function and diabetes they were talking a guy thing - hey it's always a guy thing side effect right? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, maybe it's just increased energy levels, but hey my frisk is back. Yay for that!

Last but not least, and if you've survived this far through my interminable ramblings you're a brave soul and deserve a sugar free chocolate (yay my favourite Farmers Market chocolatier is gonna make me some sugar free treats...)... I do have a question..

I thought (it made sense) that fasting blood sugars ie. the first one of the day / before breakfast should/would be the lowest number of the day.... and while it generally isn't the highest my lowest blood sugar tends to be the one I take right before dinner on average it's 1 below my breakfast numbers. Is this odd? strange? anyone else? thoughts from the more experienced crowd?

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Welcome to the forums @OceansEdge ,

From reading your post, it seems as though you pretty much know the advice we often give people with regards to carbs etc. So you're off to a great start there.

It's difficult to predict how quickly your blood sugars will come down because we are all so very different. But many people do find that their morning blood sugars are higher than expected, it's usually due to something called dawn phenomenon (or liver dump.) You can read about it here....
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Don't see why you can't carry on with the farmers market plan - just gotta stop yourself from tucking in (which maybe easier said than done of course).

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, interesting article... I'll keep an eye on that

Yeah, there is no reason not to do the Farmers Market thing, but it feels a bit 'weird' selling products I can't actually partake of myself - and unfortunately sugar free slurpies don't work LOL .. I may delay my plans a little and see if I can't at least develop some sugar free syrups along side the regular ones.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. For breakfast, eggs are fine every day. Don't worry about fats or protein; as you've realised carbs are the enemy. 85% Dark chocolate is also fine.

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
heh true enough, but I do like something a tad less bitter ... and I love a nougat, or a cherry creme now and again
I'm not a bad hand at making candies, but it's nice to have a professional willing to cater to my needs :D

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. Don't be disheartened if you love baking, last night I made my first LCHF cake - and it tastes great. Around 2g of carbs per slice, great lemon flavour - not something I want to eat all the time but nice to know I can have my cake and eat it LOL

I'm tagging @daisy1 who will be along to give you the introductory information I found so helpful 3 months ago when diagnosed - best of luck, we are a friendly bunch here so feel free to ask any questions!

jance

Welcome to the forum. Don't be disheartened if you love baking, last night I made my first LCHF cake - and it tastes great. Around 2g of carbs per slice, great lemon flavour - not something I want to eat all the time but nice to know I can have my cake and eat it LOL

I'm tagging @daisy1 who will be along to give you the introductory information I found so helpful 3 months ago when diagnosed - best of luck, we are a friendly bunch here so feel free to ask any questions!
Hi. Where can I find the recipe for this cake please.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@OceansEdge

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information, mentioned above, which we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. You have made a really good start on your diabetes care and have a lot of knowledge about it. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks everyone,
daisy1 - thank you - that's really helpful information and some of the first real information I read in the first couple days after diagnosis while I was burning out my google-fu :D
thank you for the cake recipe PendoldAPD, baking and pastries are definitely my achilles heel ... along with ice cream and chocolates, and wine, and a good sausage pizza and ........ LOL!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Breakfast is the most difficult meal of the day to accommodate - all cereals are kinda carb heavy, and eggs everyday isn't maybe the best choice (and don't you always want toast with your eggs?). So balancing eggs with a half a whole grain bagel with high fibre low carb cereals like steel cut oats and 12 grain cooked cereal.

Many say that ... I did at first. Omelettes mushies bacon sausages butter spinach in a stir up is wonderful, few carbs, great protein, filling as all get out and you won't need lunch, based upon your plate preference of course.:)

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my favourite thus far has been 2 poached eggs on a bed of fresh baby spinach dressed with an avocado salsa .... doesn't feel quite so much like 'naked eggs' and the spinach has a nice crunch with them

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome - you are making great strides, and have a great attitude.

Have a trundle through the low carb section of this forum for foodie stuff. You will see we eat a huge variety of great foods, and the range of options is wonderful.

You may also find this thread good - the recipes are stunning. My fave is the stracciatella cake.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/