Type 2 Newbie here and retrying low carb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone..nice to meet you
I have been diabetic type 2 for some years now.Managed with a little bit of metformin but because that badly upsets my stomach and Dr wouldnt let me try anything else, I decided to manage my diet which I havent been too bad at doing for some years
However my latest hb1 shot up to 9 and my morning fasting readings are 11.4 which I feel maybe due to ongoing sinusitis and broncitis which ive been battling since had a viral infection a few months ago.
Been given 2 courses of antibiotics it goes away and back it comes again ( sigh )
I did low carb for many years which worked well but then because of strict diet and low energy and bowel issues I was advised to introduce some carbs so I now take a few spoons of bran cereal in the morning..Then no carbs rest of the day.This has been working fine until the last few months but I have decided to cut out the bran now too to try and sort these glucose highs and be even more restrictive with any carbs

Can you tell me how long it takes roughly for readings to reduce when you go full low carb please ?
and could my inhalers be causing the highs ? salbutamol and beclomethasone ? As ive had to increase theose recently due to the infection

im mostly housebound unable to exercise and often bedbound so lifes rough enough as it is..I miss eating as i cant bake and wondered too is there anywhere you can order low carb food items that can be delivered via post ?

sorry hope ive posted ok and not overloaded everyone X

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone..nice to meet you
I have been diabetic type 2 for some years now.Managed with a little bit of metformin but because that badly upsets my stomach and Dr wouldnt let me try anything else, I decided to manage my diet which I havent been too bad at doing for some years
However my latest hb1 shot up to 9 and my morning fasting readings are 11.4 which I feel maybe due to ongoing sinusitis and broncitis which ive been battling since had a viral infection a few months ago.
Been given 2 courses of antibiotics it goes away and back it comes again ( sigh )
I did low carb for many years which worked well but then because of strict diet and low energy and bowel issues I was advised to introduce some carbs so I now take a few spoons of bran cereal in the morning..Then no carbs rest of the day.This has been working fine until the last few months but I have decided to cut out the bran now too to try and sort these glucose highs and be even more restrictive with any carbs

Can you tell me how long it takes roughly for readings to reduce when you go full low carb please ?
and could my inhalers be causing the highs ? salbutamol and beclomethasone ? As ive had to increase theose recently due to the infection

im mostly housebound unable to exercise and often bedbound so lifes rough enough as it is..I miss eating as i cant bake and wondered too is there anywhere you can order low carb food items that can be delivered via post ?

sorry hope ive posted ok and not overloaded everyone X
Gosh sounds like you are dealing with a lot of health issues and it’s great that you are looking at nutrition to help you manage blood sugars.
Unfortunately yes a range of things can raise blood sugars such as stress and steroids but by managing what you eat that should help you but re time frame it’s hard to judge as it’s individual but you can start working towards it by looking at your nutrition.notice you added bran for bowel issues and hope that’s not a current issue now you’ve given it up? There are other lower carb things that you can introduce if not. I take 2 magnesium citrate every morning with some live yoghurt and coffee this works for me! Fermented food like sauerkraut and kimch can also add more fibre and also seeds like chia seeds.m and s do a very low carb seeded cracker for example that has lots of fibre too.
I’m sure others will also contribute a few ideas for you. There are increasing numbers of online delivery keto companies such as seriously low carb who do low carb bakery stuff all freezable and they also sell keto bars, seeded crackers etc. Hope you start to manage your health as you improve your nutrition.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Gosh sounds like you are dealing with a lot of health issues and it’s great that you are looking at nutrition to help you manage blood sugars.
Unfortunately yes a range of things can raise blood sugars such as stress and steroids but by managing what you eat that should help you but re time frame it’s hard to judge as it’s individual but you can start working towards it by looking at your nutrition.notice you added bran for bowel issues and hope that’s not a current issue now you’ve given it up? There are other lower carb things that you can introduce if not. I take 2 magnesium citrate every morning with some live yoghurt and coffee this works for me! Fermented food like sauerkraut and kimch can also add more fibre and also seeds like chia seeds.m and s do a very low carb seeded cracker for example that has lots of fibre too.
I’m sure others will also contribute a few ideas for you. There are increasing numbers of online delivery keto companies such as seriously low carb who do low carb bakery stuff all freezable and they also sell keto bars, seeded crackers etc. Hope you start to manage your health as you improve your nutrition.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When following low carb is it wise to eat fruit? Does it make control more difficult? Which fruit better than others or is that down to personal chemistry?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When following low carb is it wise to eat fruit? Does it make control more difficult? Which fruit better than others or is that down to personal chemistry?
Fruit is a difficult one unfortunately -=I tend to stick to a few berries and rhubarb (which is really a vegetable!) def avoid the sweeter tropical type fruits like grapes, bananas etc it will depend on how many carbs you are planning to eat daily but by choosing low carb fruits it will help you have more room for manoeuvre check out this guide to help

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit contains sugars, so it is difficult to be low carb and eat any amount of fruit.
I make a sugar free jelly and add frozen berries, then I eat it with Greek yoghurt or cream. I have it as dessert and adjust the amount according to how many carbs I have eaten during the day.

Reactions: catinahat

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Checking with my metre l found blueberries were a no-no but raspberries and blackberries were okay in small quantities e.g. 3 or 4 at a time. So I keep a couple of packets in the freezer to add to yoghurt to make a nice breakfast.

Reactions: catinahat
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi thank you Shelley
Ive had a look at some of those crackers and bread on seriously low.Think i will try and order some to try
I have also got magnesium which is helpful with also muscle pains etc when i remember to take it
I will also order some seeds.I only have sesame in at moment not sure how much fibre they give.
Interesting too what you said about fruit...I dont eat much but hadnt thought about peaches causing me any issues but i have been eating more of those lately. only a small amount.I wonder if they are adding to the spikes !!

thanks again for replying :)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a mix of milled flaxseed with a little chia seeds as the basis of a 'porridge', add a few seeds or a couple of chopped nuts, some coconut milk and water plus cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Served hot with double cream. High fibre, low carb.

Reactions: HSSS