Newbie - T2 diagnosed

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, biochemistry is amazing. Reading Fat chance - the bitter truth about sugar by Robert Lustig - brilliant description of all the hormones and systems. Only about £4.50 via kindle

I shall have to have a look at that. If 1 in 3 maybe pre diabetic, then something must be going on in the foods and recommendations in diet.

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jenny39579,
It's science, carbs are addictive, the more you eat the more you want
this might help
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

I totally agree with that, Jack. It's only on the odd occasion that I fancy a cake or dessert, my greatest downfall are crisps. I have a small packet of Pork Scratchings once a week instead, as obviously, they contain little to no carbs.

It's my weekly treat. I find that if you don't have a treat once in a while, you get bored and the cravings get worse.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you get a craving that you don't want to act on, I found a spoon or 2 of coconut oil quells it

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jack, I watch the TWS, someone was saying that sugar is addictive and is the problem with the obesity epidemic.
Apparently I read or heard that one of the fast food chain, coat their fries with sugar to help them become crispier.

Heather
makes sense a bit of sugar would caramelise and colour too
food chains are all salt, sugar/HF corn syrup, grain oil/trans fat, and wheat flour... sugar, grain, wheat and corn are all subsidised and corporate exported, as whole grain, flours, oils and syrups. fresh veg gets no subsidy
yum as long as you shut your eyes

Reactions: 2 people

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't had any cravings so far. Before my diagnosis, my other half bought multi packs of crisps and certain type of cake. If they were I would eat them even though I would not buy them myself. Eventually resorted to bin them, he found it unfair. Upon my diagnosis, he doesn't, if so he hides them. It is a shame he couldn't have done that awhile back.

Heather

A

AnnieC

Do they not give T2's meters then? If not, I think that's awful. The strips cost a fortune. But well worth you getting one.

Good luck with everything.

No Jenny not many doctors will give T2's meters they will say there is no need for them to test their blood...the truth is they don't want to give you strips on the NHS as they are expensove... But of course there is a need to test so most people buy their own and the most popular and inexpensive for strips is the CodeFree meter available from Amazon many of us on this forum use this one

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't had any cravings so far. Before my diagnosis, my other half bought multi packs of crisps and certain type of cake. If they were I would eat them even though I would not buy them myself. Eventually resorted to bin them, he found it unfair. Upon my diagnosis, he doesn't, if so he hides them. It is a shame he couldn't have done that awhile back.

Heather
My partner is the same. He eats so much rubbish, and although he's not diabetic, I try to encourage him to try out my healthy recipes, but he thinks they're gross. Haha.

But I do worry about him as there is a history of type 2 in his family.

I sometimes get tempted by his foods, but I just keep thinking to myself, avoid the rubbish, and you'll hopefully avoid diabetes complications.

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No Jenny not many doctors will give T2's meters they will say there is no need for them to test their blood...the truth is they don't want to give you strips on the NHS as they are expensove... But of course there is a need to test so most people buy their own and the most popular and inexpensive for strips is the CodeFree meter available from Amazon many of us on this forum use this one

I obviously get given meters because I'm a T1. I also get to see a dietician once in a while.

What dietary care to T2's get? From what a few of you have said, not a great deal.

It must be hard for you trying to control with just medication, or for some people, just their diet.

A

AnnieC

Thanks Heather
Appreciate info on meter. Will definitely get one. Must admit I was a bit surprised by the DN, just gave me the booklet and said see you next week. No real advice.
Interesting comment about low/full fat - may mention this to the DN.
Cheers, Keith
My husband was diagnosed T2 yesterday doctor just gave him a prescription for Metformin a few leaflets about diabetes and told him to stop eating anything with sugar in and that was it apart from telling him to make an appointment with the DN who he will be seeing next week.
One of the leaflets said that the diet should be the same as is recommended for everyone now not just diabetics it should be balanced and healthy low in fat sugar and salt high in fibre with plenty of vegetables and fruit, Obviously this will be what the DN will recommend my husband to have but will not say anything about reducing carbs.
As a prediabetic myself I have been doing moderate carbs cutting out bread rice pasta cereals most root vegetable and stick mostly to berry fruits and of course no sugar so that is what I will be getting my husband to do regardless of what the nurse says

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
makes sense a bit of sugar would caramelise and colour too
food chains are all salt, sugar/HF corn syrup, grain oil/trans fat, and wheat flour... sugar, grain, wheat and corn are all subsidised and corporate exported, fresh veg gets no subsidy
yum as long as you shut your eyes

In America , I believe that the use of corn sugar as it is cheaper sed alot, also linked to the increase of diabetes and obesity epidemic. Obviously it will be combination of other things, as you mentioned.

For this country from what I think, with the introduction of trans fat decades ago, as a healthier alternative to saturated fat ie lard, butter. Laid the foundation to heart disease, with the increase of heart disease. They linked it to saturated fat, advise was to eat a low fat diet, reduce red meat in the diet, increase carbs, now there is an epidemic of diabetes, along with the changes, there is an increase of sugars, starches and salt, trans fat. added by food companies. They are still blaming saturated fat, not the combination, resulting in an overload, which the body is not designed to cope with.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband was diagnosed T2 yesterday doctor just gave him a prescription for Metformin a few leaflets about diabetes and told him to stop eating anything with sugar in and that was it apart from telling him to make an appointment with the DN who he will be seeing next week.
One of the leaflets said that the diet should be the same as is recommended for everyone now not just diabetics it should be balanced and healthy low in fat sugar and salt high in fibre with plenty of vegetables and fruit, Obviously this will be what the DN will recommend my husband to have but will not say anything about reducing carbs.
As a prediabetic myself I have been doing moderate carbs cutting out bread rice pasta cereals most root vegetable and stick mostly to berry fruits and of course no sugar so that is what I will be getting my husband to do regardless of what the nurse says

Hi, i was wondering if your husband had high numbers, hence the reason being prescribed metformin, rather than diet first.
I was offered a booklet on diabetes, and an education course. It was when I mentioned the changes of my diet, it was then I received my dietary advice. It has been many years that the dietary advice is to eat healthier, the same for everyone else. I think it was the same time, when they decided not to give T2 a meter and strips.

Heather

A

AnnieC

Hi, i was wondering if your husband had high numbers, hence the reason being prescribed metformin, rather than diet first.
I was offered a booklet on diabetes, and an education course. It was when I mentioned the changes of my diet, it was then I received my dietary advice. It has been many years that the dietary advice is to eat healthier, the same for everyone else. I think it was the same time, when they decided not to give T2 a meter and strips.

Heather
Hi Heather I don't know what his levels were he did not ask the doctor I will be testing him though while altering his dietWith regard to his age of 82 I think it may be a case of them saying just take the pills eat a sugar free diet and thats it, Don't think they want to spend to much NHS money on someone his age

A

AnnieC

I obviously get given meters because I'm a T1. I also get to see a dietician once in a while.

What dietary care to T2's get? From what a few of you have said, not a great deal.

It must be hard for you trying to control with just medication, or for some people, just their diet.

From what I read on this forum some get very good advice but others get practically none just left to get on with it and they find out more good advice from this forum than they do from their HCP's

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Annie,
All you need to do, is ask for a complete printout for the blood test from the receptionist, they cannot refuse., that is what I did. Empowerment is knowledge, then you can make proper informed choices. Once you have the results, then others will be able to give you advice, on what they mean.

Heather

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From what I read on this forum some get very good advice but others get practically none just left to get on with it and they find out more good advice from this forum than they do from their HCP's

Can't say that I was given much dietary advice really, but I guess things were even more backward in 1998, although some of the NHS stories you hear nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me if things were better back in the late 90s.

I get most of my dietary advice online, to be honest.

Obviously you can't believe everything you read online, but I have been to my local library for some info too.

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Love choux buns, best cream bun to eat if you absolutely have to as (comparatively) low sugar!

re strips, just had a minor disagreement with my doc about testing strips - she said I shouldn't be testing. I asked how on earth are people supposed to take control of their condition if they can't test. After quite a long silence, she agreed to prescribe me some test strips but said she couldn't put it on my repeat prescription. What annoys me is that I asked about reducing my meds and the answer was no even though I had a much lower sugar. If I was on fewer meds, they could afford to pay for the strips. As an unemployed person there is no way I could fund the strips myself. I also told her that they had given me the tester in the first place! It used to be policy to give a tester to type 2s.

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love choux buns, best cream bun to eat if you absolutely have to as (comparatively) low sugar!

re strips, just had a minor disagreement with my doc about testing strips - she said I shouldn't be testing. I asked how on earth are people supposed to take control of their condition if they can't test. After quite a long silence, she agreed to prescribe me some test strips but said she couldn't put it on my repeat prescription. What annoys me is that I asked about reducing my meds and the answer was no even though I had a much lower sugar. If I was on fewer meds, they could afford to pay for the strips. As an unemployed person there is no way I could fund the strips myself. I also told her that they had given me the tester in the first place! It used to be policy to give a tester to type 2s.

Hi Volorg, thought I would reply to you, even though I'm a T1, mainly because I posted yesterday to say how disgusting it is that the NHS won't prescribe the test strips.

You're absolutely right to have challenged your doctor about this. I'm glad your doctor prescribed you them in the end.

Also, as for any disease or ailment, the less medication you can take but still control your illness sounds to me like a bonus.

Think about the amount of money the NHS could save if they prescribed test strips to all diabetics, which could lead to better control and therefore, could minimize treatment towards diabetic damage. I don't know how much 1 hospitalized session of dialysis is, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than a box of testing strips.

And as you pointed out, reducing medication would also save the NHS a fortune.

It seems terrible to me that the NHS gamble with the health and wellbeing of T2's...