Newbie - T2 diagnosed

volorg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Hi Jennie, it makes me feel so powerless that there is such difference across the country in how people are treated. It also make me mad when NICE start saying virtually everyone in the country should be on statins! Even more money thrown down the drain in the name of dodgy science....

Reactions: 2 people

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love choux buns, best cream bun to eat if you absolutely have to as (comparatively) low sugar!

re strips, just had a minor disagreement with my doc about testing strips - she said I shouldn't be testing. I asked how on earth are people supposed to take control of their condition if they can't test. After quite a long silence, she agreed to prescribe me some test strips but said she couldn't put it on my repeat prescription. What annoys me is that I asked about reducing my meds and the answer was no even though I had a much lower sugar. If I was on fewer meds, they could afford to pay for the strips. As an unemployed person there is no way I could fund the strips myself. I also told her that they had given me the tester in the first place! It used to be policy to give a tester to type 2s.

When I was first tested it was 7.8 neither the Gp or the DN considered medication control. I have noticed your number was lower on diagnoses.
The strips are really expensive, even though I do work, I find it difficult. I have to pay for my own prescription. At times I cannot afford the PPC even though it is cheaper. I have had to do with out blood pressure tablets from time to time.
It is finding the cheapest on the internet.

Heather

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My diagnostic levels were 53 (7%) for the HbA1c and my fasting glucose was 7mmol/l. Meds were never mentioned and still haven't been.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit can I ask for tips, in keeping BG low for the fasting test. Mine at the moment is 6.0 or 6.2, I would like reduce it. I am keeping a food diary.

Heather

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Heather, there is a thread called What was your fasting glucose in a morning. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ucose-in-a-morning.23574/page-171#post-571473

If you join in that you may pick up some tips.

The Dawn Phenomenon also comes into play with morning fasting. This is when our livers dump glucose in our system to help us start the day before we eat something. This is a natural event that happens to everyone to some degree or another. There is a thread about it called Pesky Dawn Phenomenon http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/pesky-dawn-phenomenon.57672/page-12#post-571370

Have a read and see what others are doing to help with this.

My own fasting levels were in the low sixes for ages, then suddenly dropped to the 5's and have stayed there. I put this down to having lost a certain percentage of my body weight at the time, and also to coming off statins.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shall have a wonder over and have a look. Thank you for the links Bluetit.

Heather

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Just had first appointment at surgery after two fasting BG results at 8.4 and 7.3. For the past 3/4 months have had a fair bit of stress (looking after three 90 year old parents) and also had cellulitis, cystitis, developed eye floaters and a bad chest cough. Good year so far!!

Could this have affected the BG results? One doctor said "possibly" and the diabetic nurse didn't know. Gives you confidence.

Had a HbA1c test today and results next Thursday. All I was told was that " I had it" (type 2 that is) and depending on the HbA1c result I may be on tablets, or possibly not.

Gave me a folder of information and talked briefly about diet. Only specific advice was to stop eating Fruit & Fibre cereal!

I must say there is a lot of conflicting information around.

Am considering getting a meter to check myself - would appreciate any advice on this.

Cheers, Keith

Keith,

Get the meter. Go to Amazon and get the SD Codefree meter plus 100 strips plus lancets. I just ordered the whole lot, only about £35 or less if you are in the UK so no VAT. unbelievably reasonable.

Once you have the meter, you are in control and empowered and you can find the solutions that work for you.

I'm in Denmark and the diabetes nurse told me not to test because I would worry (after they'd given me a meter and 20 strips). What utter ****. Tho I managed not to be rude.

We're new - give yourself some time, but use it.

Best of luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder why the DN nurses seem to say. That you worry more when you have a meter. In fact, it is the other way round. It must be what they are taught.

Heather

ed209

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I went to the gp and all he told me was that my sugers are twice then normal and that was that and stuck me on metaformin and left it as that now just want to know what to do and how to manage it

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Well I went to the gp and all he told me was that my sugers are twice then normal and that was that and stuck me on metaformin and left it as that now just want to know what to do and how to manage it

If you can afford it get a blood glucose meter.
Cut back on carbohydrates. Rice potatoes pasta and all other grain products are basically sugar. Strangely sugar is not quite as bad.

ed209

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to the pharmacy and they told me I could have rice pasta and potatoes at the minute I just don't know what I can and can't have its mixed messages if ya know what I mean

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I went to the pharmacy and they told me I could have rice pasta and potatoes at the minute I just don't know what I can and can't have its mixed messages if ya know what I mean

do you like veg like cauliflower and broccoli. Use them instead of rice potatoes and pasta,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Please try not to worry. This is early days. Your doctor is a total waste of time.

Firstly you must ring the receptionist and ask for your blood level numbers, and get a print out. When did you have your blood test and what sort was it? Were you feeling ill at the time? Was it a fasting blood test or not? You should have both a fasting glucose result and an HbA1c result before a proper diagnosis can be made. This last test gives an average of your blood sugar levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. You need to know the figures. This is important.

Secondly, you must find out if your GP has referred you for an appointment with the diabetic nurse. This is also important for a newly diagnosed person.

Thirdly you need to sort out a suitable diet. This means as few carbohydrates as possible. Bread, rice, pasta and potatoes are the worst culprits, also batter and pastry plus the usual suspects like cake, biscuits, chocolate and sugary drink (including beer). Your pharmacist is wrong and is just churning out the "healthy plate" type of diet that is not a good idea. All carbohydrates turn to sugar once inside the system. For a diabetic, CARBS = SUGAR.

Then you need to buy a home testing meter so you can test your own levels before and after food to see what different foods do to your sugar levels.

Meanwhile, please have a good browse round this forum. The whole thing is a long learning curve and takes time. Learn as much as you can about this disease and how to control it. Basically, it's going to be down to you and your diet.

Ask any questions. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people