Newbie - T2 diagnosed

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
QUOTE="ed209, post: 572774, member: 114414"]I have been told it's T2 and seen the nurse but don't know my figures but will find out and thanks for ya advice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/QUOTE]
Ignore the diet advice

Last edited by a moderator:

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
New n scared

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Hi and welcome Ed, great advice from bluetit.
Not too impressed with your Gp, leaving you in a tizz. Take a deep breath and relax,. This is where you take control, this forum will help you along, give you knowledge, empowerment and then be able to make informed decisions and choices.
I have done exactly the suggestions made by Bluetit.
Ask for the printoff , of all your blood tests. This will be detailed: dates, complete breakdown of the results both what your numbers are and what they should be.

Definitely buy a Meter, you feel in control, as you know what the blood glucose is doing. Which food effects you or not.
Everyone is different, most people including myself, eliminated carbs, then you go from there. Exercise and drinking plenty of water helps bring down your levels, As I enjoyed swimming, when i was younger. Now i go, when I can, combined walking my dog.

When you have received your results on your tests, people will go through it with you on here. Hopefully you will be feel more relaxed, as you will know what is happening.
Ask if you are unsure. I am new to this as well.

Reactions: 6 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ed and welcome to the Forum. Great advice from Bluetit and Pixie, I didn't have any dietary advice from my gp or dn on diagnosis and I am so glad I didn't because I had to do my own research and ended up joining this forum which is the best thing I have ever done. The NHS have got is so, wrong regarding advice on diet. Carbohydrates are poison to diabetics, follow the advice on this forum and learn as much as you can and you won't go far wrong. We are all different, and the only way to find your own level is to test before and 2 hours after meals. Ask as many questions as you like, there is no such thing as a daft question on here and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here to help you. I was scared in the beginning, I think we all are, it is a lot to get your head round and very confusing, but it will get easier so don't worry just take small steps and don't try to take it alll in at once.

Good luck and take care.

Marilyn

Reactions: 6 people

kpsandown

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting HbA1c results tomorrow. Got a meter now and tested at waking up and was 7.6. Went for half hour walk and tested again - down to 4.3. Does this drop sound right? On a low card diet and weight is starting to come off. So going in right direction with diet and exercise?

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Getting HbA1c results tomorrow. Got a meter now and tested at waking up and was 7.6. Went for half hour walk and tested again - down to 4.3. Does this drop sound right? On a low card diet and weight is starting to come off. So going in right direction with diet and exercise?

Keith
That sounds great. Wish mine would drop like that.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like to replicate this is too hard said. I wish mine did the same. I have to try harder.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After I tested my blood sugars. For breakfast I had just 2 rashers of bacon, because I was going to work i could my levels until I got home. 6.7. A big jump from 5.9 to 6.7, in work I walk and moving non stop until I have a break. Could this be I did not have enough to to eat. At breakfast. I have just eaten dinner so I will test later.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Look at THIS Pixie. Sometimes when my level goes low, it jumps up again without eating. Bacon has no carbs so your level may have dropped to what your body sees as being low.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is such a juggling act.. I am trying to keep my carbs low, because my trigs are way too high. Plus I am trying lose weight and wanting to go into fat burning mode.
I have just tested 7.7 an hour later, those salted peanuts may have done it, as I had a small steak, salad mixed with creme fraise.
Hopefully it will go down.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am thinking of the magic number of 7.8, I will check again hopefully it is on the way down. Eek

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The rise was minimal, from 6.7 to 7.7 after 1 hour is good, panic not! It is the 6.7 that needs lowering.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The 6.7 must be the response of only having 2 rashers of bacon before work. Working for 6 hours non stop of walking and moving with 15 minute break. Maybe I did not eat enough. Or needed a little bit of carbs looking at the link provided by T I T D.

Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I am thinking of the magic number of 7.8, I will check again hopefully it is on the way down. Eek
As you get better at reading your bodies response to food the pre meal result should drop too.
The 6.7 must be the response of only having 2 rashers of bacon before work. Working for 6 hours non stop of walking and moving with 15 minute break. Maybe I did not eat enough. Or needed a little bit of carbs looking at the link provided by T I T D.
Sometimes my BG seems to get stuck a bit higher than usual. I have an oatcake and 2 hours later it can be in the low 4s