Newbie to forum tho long time type 2 diabetic

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Hi All, I’m a newbie to the forum but a long time type 2 diabetic. I was dx’d T2D in November 2004, pre-diabetic about 5 years before that and dx’d with gout five years previous to that. I’ll come back to gout later. I’m 61 years old, 6’3”, weigh 186lbs and have NEVER been obese. I consider myself an atypical T2D.

Over the years I’ve been in good control but there have been cycles of increasing HbA1c results followed by increase of medication (Metformin). In fall and early winter of 2017 I was experiencing increasing HbA1c and another increase in medication was in cards. The morning BG tests were 7.3 mmol/l on average.

So, my wife and I sat down and reviewed where we could go considering diet and exercise. I already have a full and regular exercise regimen (rowing, cycling, X-C skiing and snowshoeing). We couldn’t see more we could do with diet and carbohydrate management.

At about the same time we watched What the Health and “OTHER” on Netflix. We researched the effects and benefits of a plant based diet. I read the book The China Study. Watched a number of related videos on Youtube.

Mid-February 2018 we decided that a change was necessary and started on a new nutrition plan that removed meat from our diet – yes my wife started too. But, we did not enter in to a plant based whole food diet, do not consider ourselves vegan or vegetarian – just abstaining from eating meat. We continue to eat eggs, have fish occasionally and have a little milk in tea and coffee.

We have oat and almond milk with breakfast cereals (porridge and muesli) and have a great variety of veggie based meals. Strangely I have also increased carbohydrate intake.

Significant benefits were seen in the first 3-9 months. Weight went down 200lbs to 190lbs, morning blood glucose tests went down – from low 7s to mid 6s (mmol/l). But HbA1c didn’t follow. Several things were conspiring to effect the HbA1c tests. What transpired was I was suffering a vitamin B12 deficiency – this was due to long term use of Metformin and not from abstaining from meat. This is a well documented side effect of Metformin. Impediments to lowering HbA1c:

• Vitamin B12 deficiency causes reduced red blood cell count and this has an inverse proportional relationship with blood glucose i.e. HbA1c will goes up.
  • Large dose of vitamin B12 supplements caused my blood glucose to go up – a 1000 mcg tablet had a similar effect to eating sugar.
  • High intensity exercise causes blood glucose to go up – the body’s response to high intensity workouts is to increase blood glucose for the muscles to use but of course this is impeded by insulin resistance and blood sugar stayed high (8.5 on average) for too long.
Note, none of the above has anything to do with eating carbs. So plan to correct this was with micro dosing of B12 when morning BG was low (75mcg). For high intensity exercise, I have had success with doing a HIIT early in the exercise session after warm up ending by 30 mins or more of aerobic exercise.

Results. My morning BG tests have been consistently at 6 +- 0.3 mmol/l for the last year. My Metformin has reduced from 2000mg of Glumetsa Metformin (slow acting) per day to 1000mg of “regular” Metformin – I take one 500mg at breakfast and 500mg at dinner. Below are my HbA1c and cholesterol tests over the last three years.

HbA1c: 6.8, 6.6, 7.0, 7.0, 7.0, 7.0, 7.3, 7.3, 7.2, 6.8.

Cholesterol: 5.75, 5.37, 5.63, 5.23, 5.03, 5.39, 5.51, 5.39, 5.18, 4.89, 4.78.

Note: I do not take any statins. Also, the HbA1c results have been strongly influenced by the vitamin B12 issues.

The question is: why does abstaining from meat bring down blood glucose and HbA1c?

So now, I’ll get back to gout. T2D and gout appear to go hand-in-hand. Although I have had high levels of uric acid, I have not had a gout attack for many years. I have been taking 100mg of Allopurinol once a day but only for about 4 years. Meat contains high levels of purines that is metabolized by the body in to uric acid. Uric acid not only builds up in joints to cause gout attacks, but it also builds up in soft tissue – this is well documented. Essentially a diet without meat is a low/medium purine diet.

Through all of my web searching I have not found a definitive statement as to what is insulin resistance. There are many links to the effects of insulin resistance but nothing as to what it actually is.

This is a question brewing I have – and discussed with my GP:

Is insulin resistance caused by build up of uric acid in the muscles resisting the uptake of glucose?

There are several links that discuss this point on the web – search “urate insulin resistance”.

I have had significant results by abstaining from eating meat. I expect my HbA1c results will continue to go down over the next few months. There is an expectation that I may be able to come off Metformin in due course. And I’m in it for the long run.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TwoTone .
Welcome to the forum from a T1 diabetic.
A very interesting initial post and I feel sure there will be a few type2’s along to welcome you before long.
The forum has varied diets, exercise regimes and lifestyle approaches to living with type 2. I’m sure your particular approach will find appreciation.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, I’m a newbie to the forum but a long time type 2 diabetic. I was dx’d T2D in November 2004, pre-diabetic about 5 years before that and dx’d with gout five years previous to that. I’ll come back to gout later. I’m 61 years old, 6’3”, weigh 186lbs and have NEVER been obese. I consider myself an atypical T2D.

Over the years I’ve been in good control but there have been cycles of increasing HbA1c results followed by increase of medication (Metformin). In fall and early winter of 2017 I was experiencing increasing HbA1c and another increase in medication was in cards. The morning BG tests were 7.3 mmol/l on average.

So, my wife and I sat down and reviewed where we could go considering diet and exercise. I already have a full and regular exercise regimen (rowing, cycling, X-C skiing and snowshoeing). We couldn’t see more we could do with diet and carbohydrate management.

At about the same time we watched What the Health and “OTHER” on Netflix. We researched the effects and benefits of a plant based diet. I read the book The China Study. Watched a number of related videos on Youtube.

Mid-February 2018 we decided that a change was necessary and started on a new nutrition plan that removed meat from our diet – yes my wife started too. But, we did not enter in to a plant based whole food diet, do not consider ourselves vegan or vegetarian – just abstaining from eating meat. We continue to eat eggs, have fish occasionally and have a little milk in tea and coffee.

We have oat and almond milk with breakfast cereals (porridge and muesli) and have a great variety of veggie based meals. Strangely I have also increased carbohydrate intake.

Significant benefits were seen in the first 3-9 months. Weight went down 200lbs to 190lbs, morning blood glucose tests went down – from low 7s to mid 6s (mmol/l). But HbA1c didn’t follow. Several things were conspiring to effect the HbA1c tests. What transpired was I was suffering a vitamin B12 deficiency – this was due to long term use of Metformin and not from abstaining from meat. This is a well documented side effect of Metformin. Impediments to lowering HbA1c:

• Vitamin B12 deficiency causes reduced red blood cell count and this has an inverse proportional relationship with blood glucose i.e. HbA1c will goes up.
  • Large dose of vitamin B12 supplements caused my blood glucose to go up – a 1000 mcg tablet had a similar effect to eating sugar.
  • High intensity exercise causes blood glucose to go up – the body’s response to high intensity workouts is to increase blood glucose for the muscles to use but of course this is impeded by insulin resistance and blood sugar stayed high (8.5 on average) for too long.
Note, none of the above has anything to do with eating carbs. So plan to correct this was with micro dosing of B12 when morning BG was low (75mcg). For high intensity exercise, I have had success with doing a HIIT early in the exercise session after warm up ending by 30 mins or more of aerobic exercise.

Results. My morning BG tests have been consistently at 6 +- 0.3 mmol/l for the last year. My Metformin has reduced from 2000mg of Glumetsa Metformin (slow acting) per day to 1000mg of “regular” Metformin – I take one 500mg at breakfast and 500mg at dinner. Below are my HbA1c and cholesterol tests over the last three years.

HbA1c: 6.8, 6.6, 7.0, 7.0, 7.0, 7.0, 7.3, 7.3, 7.2, 6.8.

Cholesterol: 5.75, 5.37, 5.63, 5.23, 5.03, 5.39, 5.51, 5.39, 5.18, 4.89, 4.78.

Note: I do not take any statins. Also, the HbA1c results have been strongly influenced by the vitamin B12 issues.

The question is: why does abstaining from meat bring down blood glucose and HbA1c?

So now, I’ll get back to gout. T2D and gout appear to go hand-in-hand. Although I have had high levels of uric acid, I have not had a gout attack for many years. I have been taking 100mg of Allopurinol once a day but only for about 4 years. Meat contains high levels of purines that is metabolized by the body in to uric acid. Uric acid not only builds up in joints to cause gout attacks, but it also builds up in soft tissue – this is well documented. Essentially a diet without meat is a low/medium purine diet.

Through all of my web searching I have not found a definitive statement as to what is insulin resistance. There are many links to the effects of insulin resistance but nothing as to what it actually is.

This is a question brewing I have – and discussed with my GP:

Is insulin resistance caused by build up of uric acid in the muscles resisting the uptake of glucose?

There are several links that discuss this point on the web – search “urate insulin resistance”.

I have had significant results by abstaining from eating meat. I expect my HbA1c results will continue to go down over the next few months. There is an expectation that I may be able to come off Metformin in due course. And I’m in it for the long run.

A whole slew of people'll be here soon to answer your questions, I'm sure, but one thing that worries me so i'm risking burning dinner to throw this out there: I'm only seeing fasting blood glucose numbers. If your HbA1c isn't coming down, it may be because you are eating carbs.... Have you EVER tested before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite? You want to know whether your body is responding appropriately to what you put in it. (If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, it's not coping.) The metformin you're on only tackles the liver dump, it doesn't do much of anything about what you ingest. You want to know what your blood sugars are doing in response to the carbs you eat. (Which turn to glucose once ingested). Not saying your diet is a bad one, per se, don't know enough of the knitty gritty to say anything at this point, but.... Just a little concerned. Check before your meals and afterwards, share those numbers with us, maybe we'll be able to tell you more about what you could do next.

Good luck eh,
Jo

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @TwoTone
welcome to our little world.

as @therower says a most interesting post

seems like you have had a experience of the disease over many years and the stop to
check and overhaul your diet, seems to have been beneficial to you.

sad about the B12 issue, poor that doctors don't seem in general to put too much emphasis on checking that,
considering the massive impact it CAN have if left unregulated.

Noted the BG raise with the B12 supplements, Not noticed any myself but will now take the time to check after taking.

While i myself have taken the LCHF route, and lowered my carbs and raised my fat intakes,
i would say while i was always a meat eater, i have 'probably' increased my meat intake, but as a lover of it, not by that much i don't think.

Nice you have found something that has/is working for you.
happy to see anyone find a way through to better health, that works for THEM regardless of which way that is.

And while LCHF is working well for me, right now,
who knows if my body will ever get to a stage where that doesn't quite work as well as it does now,
So it's nice to hear others comment that a different way also provides a route to better numbers.
many on here have found differing ways of eating work best for them,
some prefer a more vegan/vegetarian option, other go the way of a more carnivore diet,
all seem to have some measure of success and it's adherents,,
(rather shows our bodies responses may be just as individual as our personalities )

so i like having an opportunity to hear what has worked for someone else
and having an idea of just how to go about adapting MY diet if i need to.

Always good to have a fall back plan 'B' i think.

So welcome, & Good luck on your Ongoing Journey.

Reactions: therower

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Certainly the porridge and muesli are likely to raise your blood glucose. Some people can tolerate porridge better than others. The only way to tell is to eat and test. Then you can eliminate foods unsuitable for you.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum, @TwoTone. Well done on lowering your blood glucose levels and on reducing your medication.

I'm not sure it's yet completely known how insulin resistance works. Let me try to explain what I understand from what I have read about it:

It seems that insulin resistance is associated with consistently high insulin levels and overfilled fat cells. The high insulin levels make it hard for your body to access the fat in fat cells for energy. Overfilled fat cells impede the storage of any more energy as fat, thus leaving the energy in form of glucose (and trigs) in the blood stream. (This doesn't actually require you to be overweight, only that you have few fat cells to begin with, so also slim people can become insulin resistant.)

Also, different organs can be resistant to insulin (including liver -- which will still continue to erroneously release even more glucose even in the presence of high insulin and already high blood sugars, the muscles and your fat tissue). Losing fat from the liver will improve hepatic insulin resistance, losing weight will improve insulin resistance of the fat cells (as they are now no longer overfilled) and exercise will help with insulin resistance of the muscles.

So, in your case exercise and losing weight (possibly from the liver and fat cells) might have improved your insulin resistance and thus blood sugar levels, especially fasting levels.

If you are interested in insulin resistance, I would recommend looking for videos by Dr. Ben Bikman, who specializes in insulin resistance research.

I agree with @JoKalsbeek -- it might be helpful to measure blood sugar levels after eating to see how your blood glucose levels react to your meals. It its quite possible that they are elevated after meals, thus explaining an HbA1c that hasn't changed much in spite of lower fasting levels.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TwoTone - Welcome to the forum.

I'm a little bit confused with a couple of points you raise and wonder if you could clarify for me, please?

You mention a B12 deficiency: You mentioned the deficiency raised your blood glucose, then mentioned that treating it did the same, so how did you address that conundrum?

You mention something similar about exercise raising your blood glucose numbers. How did you ascertain that, and did you find a way to ascertain when your blood glucose started to come down again after exercise?

Finally, on your list of HbA1c tests, at which point did you begin your new way of eating, and what medication were you taking before and after your changed way of eating?

I apologise about all the questions, but the additional context may help me understand how things have gone for you.

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Hi DCUKMod. No problems with questions.
It wasn't the B12 deficiency pe se, but the large dose of B12 supplement (1000mcg) that caused the raised BG with a net effect of increasing HbA1c. By micro dosing (75mcg) taken on a good morning (6mmol/l) I was able to minimize the impact of having to take the B12 supplement.
WRT exercise, I took my BG with a meter about 45 mins after exercise - time to get home from rowing club. With high intensity exercise (heart rate hitting 170 bpm) I got BGs in excess of 8.5. Once I changed workout to HIIT early in the exercise period with aerobic exercise to finish, the measured BGs was in the 6.3 range.

Before starting abstaining from meat, I was on 2000mg of slow release glumetsa Metformin and was headed for an increase as numbers were headed north. I am now on 2 x 500 mg of "regular" Metformin.

A personal thought gaining purchase we me is that insulin performance is being hindered by uric acid deposits in the muscles. This may explain why reversal is possible. Just a thought though.

Last edited:

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
@TwoTone .
Welcome to the forum from a T1 diabetic.
A very interesting initial post and I feel sure there will be a few type2’s along to welcome you before long.
The forum has varied diets, exercise regimes and lifestyle approaches to living with type 2. I’m sure your particular approach will find appreciation.

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Thank you therower. I assume from you ID you are a rower. I am a rower of 43 years. Its one constant that has helped me deal with the T2D. Although 61 years old, I still feel the need to get in my boat about three times a week. Though where I am, the river is frozen now and will look to winter sports.

Last edited:

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
A whole slew of people'll be here soon to answer your questions, I'm sure, but one thing that worries me so i'm risking burning dinner to throw this out there: I'm only seeing fasting blood glucose numbers. If your HbA1c isn't coming down, it may be because you are eating carbs.... Have you EVER tested before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite? You want to know whether your body is responding appropriately to what you put in it. (If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, it's not coping.) The metformin you're on only tackles the liver dump, it doesn't do much of anything about what you ingest. You want to know what your blood sugars are doing in response to the carbs you eat. (Which turn to glucose once ingested). Not saying your diet is a bad one, per se, don't know enough of the knitty gritty to say anything at this point, but.... Just a little concerned. Check before your meals and afterwards, share those numbers with us, maybe we'll be able to tell you more about what you could do next.

Good luck eh,
Jo

Hi Jo, thanks for the reply.
I take BG every morning and have HbA1c test every 3 months. I do not fast for morning BG and my GP does not ask for a fasting test as, for me, it didn't make any sense as I have something to eat (small amount of carbs) just before bed time.

Morning BGs are currently 6 + or - 0.3. The last HbA1c was 6.8. The HbA1c was not the greatest but I spent over 6 months getting over a vitamin B12 deficiency and is headed down.

I do take a post meal 2 hour test occasionally and this is generally in the 7.5 to 8 range - that's OK.

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Hi @TwoTone
welcome to our little world.

as @therower says a most interesting post

seems like you have had a experience of the disease over many years and the stop to
check and overhaul your diet, seems to have been beneficial to you.

sad about the B12 issue, poor that doctors don't seem in general to put too much emphasis on checking that,
considering the massive impact it CAN have if left unregulated.

Noted the BG raise with the B12 supplements, Not noticed any myself but will now take the time to check after taking.

While i myself have taken the LCHF route, and lowered my carbs and raised my fat intakes,
i would say while i was always a meat eater, i have 'probably' increased my meat intake, but as a lover of it, not by that much i don't think.

Nice you have found something that has/is working for you.
happy to see anyone find a way through to better health, that works for THEM regardless of which way that is.

And while LCHF is working well for me, right now,
who knows if my body will ever get to a stage where that doesn't quite work as well as it does now,
So it's nice to hear others comment that a different way also provides a route to better numbers.
many on here have found differing ways of eating work best for them,
some prefer a more vegan/vegetarian option, other go the way of a more carnivore diet,
all seem to have some measure of success and it's adherents,,
(rather shows our bodies responses may be just as individual as our personalities )

so i like having an opportunity to hear what has worked for someone else
and having an idea of just how to go about adapting MY diet if i need to.

Always good to have a fall back plan 'B' i think.

So welcome, & Good luck on your Ongoing Journey.

Hi jjraak. Yup, I've experienced all the ups and downs over the last 20 years. Even over the last year and a half when the HbA1c wasn't coming down before the B12 deficiency was caught.

When I was first DX'D I was told that T2D was a progressive disease. I'm beginning to question that.

So, abstaining from meat has worked well for me and if my experience resonates with others, then that can only be a good thing.

Cheers.

Reactions: jjraak

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you therower. I assume from you ID you are a rower. I am a rower of 43 years. Its one constant that has helped me deal with the T2D. Although 61 years old, I still feel the need to get in my boat about three times a week. Though where I am, the river is frozen now and will look to winter sports.
Hi TwoTone. My ID is a bit of a give away I guess. I have to come clean and admit to never rowing on open water:). Many years back when I first joined a gym I fell in love with the rowers. Firstly I have a total dislike for running and secondly the rowing machines were usually empty. It was a match made in heaven.:)
I have the upmost respect for the guys who can row on open water, I know how hard it can be indoors and can only imagine taking that to outdoors.
For me personally the rowing has been a great part of my life that has helped me live with type 1. The actual benefits of exercising but probably more so the challenges of hitting x meters in x time.
You have 5 yrs on me but I know even at this age just how much of a challenge rowing can be, mentally and physically.
Frozen rivers are not something we have to endure here in England/ UK:).
It was a pleasure to read your initial post and it’s even better to know that there is another rower out there:).
Good luck keeping the diabetes in a good place and hopefully the rivers will thaw and you can back out there.

Reactions: jjraak

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Welcome to the forum, @TwoTone. Well done on lowering your blood glucose levels and on reducing your medication.

I'm not sure it's yet completely known how insulin resistance works. Let me try to explain what I understand from what I have read about it:

It seems that insulin resistance is associated with consistently high insulin levels and overfilled fat cells. The high insulin levels make it hard for your body to access the fat in fat cells for energy. Overfilled fat cells impede the storage of any more energy as fat, thus leaving the energy in form of glucose (and trigs) in the blood stream. (This doesn't actually require you to be overweight, only that you have few fat cells to begin with, so also slim people can become insulin resistant.)

Also, different organs can be resistant to insulin (including liver -- which will still continue to erroneously release even more glucose even in the presence of high insulin and already high blood sugars, the muscles and your fat tissue). Losing fat from the liver will improve hepatic insulin resistance, losing weight will improve insulin resistance of the fat cells (as they are now no longer overfilled) and exercise will help with insulin resistance of the muscles.

So, in your case exercise and losing weight (possibly from the liver and fat cells) might have improved your insulin resistance and thus blood sugar levels, especially fasting levels.

If you are interested in insulin resistance, I would recommend looking for videos by Dr. Ben Bikman, who specializes in insulin resistance research.

I agree with @JoKalsbeek -- it might be helpful to measure blood sugar levels after eating to see how your blood glucose levels react to your meals. It its quite possible that they are elevated after meals, thus explaining an HbA1c that hasn't changed much in spite of lower fasting levels.

Hi Ziggy_w thanks for your reply.
When I was first DX'D I used to test 9 times a day for the first 4 weeks. First 2 weeks to understand what my diet was doing. Then made diet changes and tested 9 times a day again to understand the impact of the changes.

Now I test every morning and occasionally 2 hrs after meals. I also test occasionally about the hour after exercise - as mentioned I was seeing issues with HIIT.

I'm interested to learn about what insulin resistance is because there isn't the information out there and it's the key to why we're here. So, thanks for the reference, I'll definitely follow that.

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Hi TwoTone. My ID is a bit of a give away I guess. I have to come clean and admit to never rowing on open water:). Many years back when I first joined a gym I fell in love with the rowers. Firstly I have a total dislike for running and secondly the rowing machines were usually empty. It was a match made in heaven.:)
I have the upmost respect for the guys who can row on open water, I know how hard it can be indoors and can only imagine taking that to outdoors.
For me personally the rowing has been a great part of my life that has helped me live with type 1. The actual benefits of exercising but probably more so the challenges of hitting x meters in x time.
You have 5 yrs on me but I know even at this age just how much of a challenge rowing can be, mentally and physically.
Frozen rivers are not something we have to endure here in England/ UK:).
It was a pleasure to read your initial post and it’s even better to know that there is another rower out there:).
Good luck keeping the diabetes in a good place and hopefully the rivers will thaw and you can back out there.

The rowing machine is a necessary evil - I have one in my basement!

I'm actually in Ontario, Canada but was born in England. I remember rowing on Poole Harbour one year that did have a thin layer of ice on it.
Cheers.

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Certainly the porridge and muesli are likely to raise your blood glucose. Some people can tolerate porridge better than others. The only way to tell is to eat and test. Then you can eliminate foods unsuitable for you.

Hi xfieldok. Porridge is something new for me. I couldn't tolerate it many years ago but with recent changes a lot of things have changed and I am now more tolerant. Muesli is in the form of sugar free Alpen and have never had a problem with it.
Cheers.

Reactions: xfieldok

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TwoTone . Did someone mention porridge?:)
Obviously my situation is slightly different to yours regarding foods and medication.
But here is something I found with porridge or oats.
I found that the rougher and less processed the oats the better. I prep them the night before. 2 parts oats to 1 part milk. Leave them overnight to soak. Next morning warm them up but not overdo it. Now I don’t know why but this process has a minimal impact on my BS. Obviously I inject insulin but nonetheless compared to other breakfast alternatives this seems to impact the least on BS.
Just a bit of trivia for you:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The rowing machine is a necessary evil - I have one in my basement!

I'm actually in Ontario, Canada but was born in England. I remember rowing on Poole Harbour one year that did have a thin layer of ice on it.
Cheers.
I can see Poole harbour and the Purbecks beyond out of the back bedroom window of our house - a very distracting view when there is work to be done.

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Hi Resurgam, a beautiful part of the world. I've hiked on the Purbecks a few times.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TwoTone - When reading on here, and from my own personal experience I find strenuous exercise, such as HIIT and the like to create interesting blood glucose patterns over the course of the day.

For example, if I have steady, but relatively gentle exercise, like a brisk walk, gardening or the like, I find my blood sugars lower, noticeably, almost immediately. If I do something heavier duty, like cycling uphill, into a wind, sail change, or the like, my blood glucose numbers go up in the immediacy, but a short while later reduce to slightly under my daily averages for that time of the day for the rest of the day. If that exertion is later in the day, the lower number can carry over into the next day.

I'm not suggesting you necessarily make any changes from what works for you (why would I?), but if ever you are trying HIIT, or the like, again, it could be useful testing fairly intensively for the rest of the day.

If you are testing intensively again, over several days, for whatever reason, you might find using a Libre sensor could give you are fabulous insight into what's going on, for a period of 14 days, 24/7.

I found my dabbling with the Libre to be hugely educational, even after living with diabetes for some time.

Keep fighting the good fight!