Newby retired firefighter requires rescue programme

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Help
Diagnosed last friday with Type 2 diabetes following a routine blood test.
It’s all a bit of a shock really, I’m an active 64 year old, been active all my life.
At 14 stone 4lb, 6 ft with my boots on, I didn’t think I was on the list for diabetes.
My blood sugar level was 22, they took some blood for testing, not sure what happens next.
Apparently, I can’t have any beer, cake, biscuits, pasta, bread, or spuds anymore.
They want me to lose 10% of my body weight.
I’ll have to cut me leg off.
The wife is already using this condition to nag and control my very being - I’m on a low cab diet with eggs
Eggs, scrambled, poached, fried, hard boiled, sunny side up, over easy, and kicked in every direction around the kitchen
And; I’m told, diabetes can make you a little grumpy, although I’ve not seen any of that yet.
Is there any good news??
johnjo2

Edited by a Mod.

When I was diagnosed I had just dropped very rapidly from 14 and a half stone to nearer 14 stone. One of the symptoms of diabetes can be rapid weight loss.

I am 6 foot without my boots on and I didn't think I was over weight.

Now down to around 12 stone and generally a lot better for it. 10% of your body weight seems a frightening prospect but you have plenty to spare; you just don't realise it yet. If you take 20 lbs off (1 stone 6 lbs) you will weigh 12 stone 12 lbs which is a reasonable weight for a 6 foot guy who is fit and active. The more important thing, though, is your waist measurement. It should be equal to or less than half your height. So for someone 6 foot/ 72 inches tall your waist measurement should be under 36 inches. Fat around the gut is one of the biggest enemies of T2 diabetics.

The thing that amazes me is the amount that I used to eat; I sometimes wonder that I didn't explode and/or weigh twice as much.

It will probably take a while to get your head around the changes you need to make, but it sounds as though your wife is very much on side which can help enormously. Listen to her.

Be warned, the biggest impact is likely to be that all your favourite clothes will no longer fit.

I was wearing 38" waist trousers and going down to 34" waist (trouser size - my waist is around 35") meant that everything was like a bin bag on me. Flapping about in the breeze. There were some clothes they just don't make any more so I was well fed up.

Reactions: Prem51 and johnjo 2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Newcastle Diet??
Wayaa man whats that
Tell me more

It is a very low calorie short term diet of around 8 weeks whereby you stick to 800 calories a day, but the recommendation is you ask for medical support from your GP. The 800 calories can be made up with either real food, or with shakes, or a mixture of the two. Have a search, there are loads of threads about it on this forum.

johnjo 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you really are a friendly lot. I can feel the love :)

I can't believe how many people took the time and effort to reply to me - much appreciated

Well this it then, I'm in, if I'm going to do this then I need to do it properly, no half measures.
I have enrolled on the LOW CARB PROGRAMME, in for a penny as they say.
@LittleGreyCat has inspired me - I've not been 12 stone in weight for 30 years.

I'm going on holiday in the 1st week of June with the Mrs, so that my first target, if I can lose a stone in weight and get my blood /sugar down to a reasonable level of about 10 - I would be pleased with that.

Low carbs and exercise, plenty of walking to start with - 10,000 steps a day would be good.

Thanks again for you thoughts, words, and encouragement - it means a lot.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck @johnjo 2 please let us know how you go on - and don't disappear. Read round more threads, and ask questions whenever you need to.

Reactions: Aly67

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea how much a stone is, being Dutch, but I have a feeling you'll be fine. You sound motivated, and it seems like there's proper support in your marriage as well. (It helps so much when you don't have to go it alone!). And should there be questions, quite a few folks here have answers. :)

Reactions: Prem51

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have no idea how much a stone is, being Dutch, but I have a feeling you'll be fine. You sound motivated, and it seems like there's proper support in your marriage as well. (It helps so much when you don't have to go it alone!). And should there be questions, quite a few folks here have answers. :)

16 ounces are one pound
14 pounds are one stone
4 stone are one quarter
4 quarters are one hundredweight

[From memory - I could be wrong.]

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

johnjo 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed I had just dropped very rapidly from 14 and a half stone to nearer 14 stone. One of the symptoms of diabetes can be rapid weight loss.

I am 6 foot without my boots on and I didn't think I was over weight.

Now down to around 12 stone and generally a lot better for it. 10% of your body weight seems a frightening prospect but you have plenty to spare; you just don't realise it yet. If you take 20 lbs off (1 stone 6 lbs) you will weigh 12 stone 12 lbs which is a reasonable weight for a 6 foot guy who is fit and active. The more important thing, though, is your waist measurement. It should be equal to or less than half your height. So for someone 6 foot/ 72 inches tall your waist measurement should be under 36 inches. Fat around the gut is one of the biggest enemies of T2 diabetics.

The thing that amazes me is the amount that I used to eat; I sometimes wonder that I didn't explode and/or weigh twice as much.

It will probably take a while to get your head around the changes you need to make, but it sounds as though your wife is very much on side which can help enormously. Listen to her.

Be warned, the biggest impact is likely to be that all your favourite clothes will no longer fit.

I was wearing 38" waist trousers and going down to 34" waist (trouser size - my waist is around 35") meant that everything was like a bin bag on me. Flapping about in the breeze. There were some clothes they just don't make any more so I was well fed up.
Thanks for your detailed reply, My trousers are 38", in fact, they have been 38" for years. I don't have any favourite clothes so no problem there.
I cannot remember being 12 stone
Thanks for your advice, my wife is my rock, I will listen to her
Thanks again

johnjo 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, my wife sends her regards
A stone is about 6/7 Kgs

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

johnjo 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Add rice to the list, or not if you don't want the missus to know!

Welcome to the forums @johnjo 2 , I'll ask @daisy1 to give you the new joiners info.

Seems like you've got the measure of the carb's issue, so good luck and please ask any questions you need to ask.

Good luck.
What about brown rice ?

johnjo 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, giving up bread + all the yum carbs was hard at 1st but more mentally hard, not so much physically hard. I had to change my mindset in order to improve my health. I'm delighted at how much slimmer I am now, free of cravings + feeling more energetic with exercise too.
So glad to hear you are feeling good about yourself
You must be proud of what you have achieved
You look lovely
Take care

Reactions: cocobee.2017

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Help
It’s all a bit of a shock really, I’m an active 64 year old, been active all my life.
At 14 stone 4lb, 6 ft with my boots on, I didn’t think I was on the list for diabetes.
My blood sugar level was 22, they took some blood for testing, not sure what happens next.
Apparently, I can’t have any beer, cake, biscuits, pasta, bread, or spuds anymore.
The wife is already using this condition to nag and control my very being - I’m on a low cab diet with eggs
Eggs, scrambled, poached, fried, hard boiled, sunny side up, over easy, and kicked in every direction around the kitchen
And; I’m told, diabetes can make you a little grumpy, although I’ve not seen any of that yet.
Is there any good news??
johnjo2

Edited by a Mod.

welcome here Johnjo ...you´ll soon learn to control it if you stay in here and ask the questions you will need answers too

all carbs raises blood glucose even those in healthier foods..

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You did say you'd signed up for the LCHF program?
Many on here reckon it's the best money they ever spent.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
What about brown rice ?

Foodstuff has something called a glycemic index. The number describes the speed at which it turns into glucose once you've consumed it.

Brown rice and wholegrain pasta is better than the white stuff, the glucose spike may be less sharp, but at the end of the day, it's still carbs.

Sorry.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Help
Is there any good news??
johnjo2

Edited by a Mod.

Hope this helps mate -
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Something else to avoid - called corn here in the US, but probably maize in your country.

The price of a meter is usually much less important than the price of the matching strips, and who will pay for the strips.

scottdavio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
politicians- Thai hospitals
You should try my partners diet, we live in Thailand where rice is eaten with every meal and she has high cholesterol so no bad fats. At least she can eat egg whites. More yolk for me. Good luck with your new diet

david0779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negativity and the rain
hi i relate to what ur saying ive been active all my life and when they told me and sent me on my way scratching my i felt the same what can i eat with out potatoes rice pasta no cake what so i read about low carb diets 3.5 months later ive lost 3 stone and my bloods have gone from 66 to 45 the thing is the food im making my self is tastier and better than i eat before and a couple of month after taking the sugar out of my diet i dont miss it omlette with chicken mushrooms peppers onions and chillies chicken stroganoff chilie eggs and beacon steak the food is great and things actually taste sweeter and flavoursome when ur not ramming sugar down urself every day when i make meat balls or chillie with pasta for the family i have them with salad on low carb wraps and there taste great if u go on amazon and type in carb zone they do everything from wraps and biscuits to jam in low carb
there actually is so much u can eat remember it a sugar diet u will be supriced what u can eat
i would get a blood monitor it tell u what foods spoke ur bloods and helps u to drop the foods that dont work if u message me i will give u the site where u can get a good blood reader and the
lancets are only 7. for 50 or 5. each with a code all this imformation was given to me off
good people of this site they know what there talking about good luck

Reactions: Rachox

david0779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negativity and the rain
ps sorry about spelling mistakes
typed this on the way out of the door