Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sentiments exactly, could not have put it better, have followed your posts and kinda know the history, I am on the last week of the NP, and your above post mirrors me perfectly, diagnosed 4-5 years ago and thought !!! T2 !!! Never gave it a second thought, and as I've said before, Stumbled onto this thread, and WOW, "woke up and smell the coffee" learnt a vast amount from all you guys, thought maybe that I could be lucky enough to reverse by starting the ND plan, but .... Not to be have lose just over 2 stone AND BG figures down from 13s to 20s to 6s -7s, seen a 5.7 twice, but!!, am happy with my lot cos as you say, the figures are more stable, I am aware of them and i now have more control of them, and understand portion control, So onwards and upwards So Pipp, enjoy, be happy
Well done, 6s and 7s are a brilliant improvement. As you know the difficult time begins when you reintroduce food, but sounds like you have a plan in place. Remember to keep posting and be vigilant with testing and adjusting foods as necessary.

Reactions: 2 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
... a phone call this morning from my son, his best friends father at 54 was admitted to hospital as a T2 and in a Diabetic coma and has just died, Sad. and all through lack of knowledge about this curse of diabetes, This is why this thread and this site AND the great people on it is so good, knowledge is power
Such sad news, a stark reminder that this condition can have dire consequences if not managed and an incentive to us all.

Hi Brunneria, going to follow @steve, @brettza and @Rob, as they seem to have a handle on it ...
Not too sure yet how things will progress. I am on my last day of ND and after having very simple food intake choices with the meal replacements for the last 8 weeks, I am now faced with the reality of shopping, planning meals and all the decisions relating to a return to real food while still wanting to lose another stone (14lbs) and, most importantly, managing the BG levels.

I have another month before I have a follow-up blood test and I am eager to see the confirmed results of progress so far, but this is just the initial battle I have won. The war is a much more prolonged campaign. I see it as along the lines of a siege. Tomorrow is another day and the start of the next leg of my journey to manage my T2.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
My sentiments exactly, could not have put it better, have followed your posts and kinda know the history, I am on the last week of the NP, and your above post mirrors me perfectly, diagnosed 4-5 years ago and thought !!! T2 !!! Never gave it a second thought, and as I've said before, Stumbled onto this thread, and WOW, "woke up and smell the coffee" learnt a vast amount from all you guys, thought maybe that I could be lucky enough to reverse by starting the ND plan, but .... Not to be
emoji20.png
have lose just over 2 stone AND BG figures down from 13s to 20s to 6s -7s, seen a 5.7 twice, but!!, am happy with my lot cos as you say, the figures are more stable, I am aware of them and i now have more control of them, and understand portion control, So onwards and upwards
emoji2.png
emoji2.png
So Pipp, enjoy, be happy
emoji2.png
emoji2.png
Sorry for the delay in response - work has been getting in the way!

Really well done WR (in my least patronizing voice!)

Now for the real challenge - keeping it off. You must be at more or less the same stage as Rob (who must be getting ready for transition)

So - what did I do???? I ate fish first - with salad. I hate fish as a rule - always have - but after the NP, I didn't mind it so much. I found I needed to eat slowly and odd as it may seem - concentrate on how it felt inside. In the first few days post NP I did have a couple of emergencies! (I'll say no more) - which reinforced the importance for me of taking it slowly. I also found a full meal made me feel drowsy. Add a glass of wine and you get a really good nights sleep!

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last ND day today and transition to LCHF from tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am glad that people are now realising that the starvation phase is not the end, but the beginning of a new way of eating. At risk of sounding headmistressy I reiterate, if you go back to the sort of diet you ate before you will soon return to the way you were. Make the transition gradual, eat to the meter, weigh weekly, take action if you see raises in BG and / or weight, and go easy on carbs.

Best of luck with it all. Keep posting.

Reactions: 6 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp has summarised post nd perfectly. Take it easy for first week or even two, don't force yourself to eat. First wekk off nd I did not feel like eating anything much and I did not, slowly and gradually your eating habits will get better. I test my carbs very seriously when I have them, I have just now reduced testing low carb food as I am normally flat on low carb now and before nd too. And if you are going to introduce carb take it easy. I have gone crazy at times just to see what it does to my bg but it's been like an experiment and best kept that way for me.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm hoping my transition from the meal replacements shouldn't be too difficult as I was on approx 19g fat, 55g carbs & 51g protein for a day's 600 cal intake. I plan to take the carbs lower to continue to lose weight.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem with carb food for me, and I suspect many others, is that they are addictive. They did not spike my BG after ND even if I ate the high sugar confectionery. What they did is cause weight gain, and make me want to eat more of them. Won't be trying that little experiment again.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, can I STRONGLY recommend that you introduce probiotic capsules to your diet as you go back to normal food?

By restricting your diet for so long, vast amounts of the healthy bugs in your gut will have died out. Replacing them now will help to repopulate, aid digestion and prevent problems in the future.

I would also introduce a good amount of omega 3s, either by eating the good oils, or by supplementing. You've been low fatting for long enough that your body and brain will need to restock. I use krill oil capsules.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished 8 weeks on the VLCD as of last night.

Total weight loss 39lbs. Although I usually hovered around 17st I recorded my starting weight as 16st 9lbs and set a target weight of 14 stones. My weight this morning was 13st 12lbs or 88kg. BMI is still 27.1, so I plan to lose another stone to reach the top of the "normal" range at least. However, I haven't weighed as little as this for about 25 years.

More importantly my BG is far more stable in the range of 4.1 to 5.5 in the mornings, 4.5 to 7.0 during the day before & after meals and around 4.5 to 5.0 at bedtime. I was having anything in the extremes of 3.5 to 17 in the weeks before I started on this path. BP is reduced too. This is all with reduced medication. I was on 11 tablets every day at the start. Now I'm on 3; 1 x 500mg Metformin, that I hope to eliminate after my next A1C in about 4 weeks time; 1 x 10mg Amlodipine for BP - but as hypertension pre-dates my diabetes diagnosis i'll take medical advice on that elimination; 1 x 20mg Atorvastatin for cholesterol - again to be reconsidered after my next full set of bloods.

I consider this to be the first round of my battle against my T2 diabetes that I have won, turning the tide of progression that I had previously allowed to happen by inaction. Today I start on LCHF for the long-term "slog", so I guess I'll migrate to the appropriate thread for future contributions.

The support of everyone who has contributed here has been invaluable. I never thought I could achieve this milestone, but in hindsight it now seems to have been relatively easy. Re-introducing real food and getting the balance right for the future seems daunting and complicated compared to the "what packet shall I open now?" process I've been on for the last 8 weeks. At least I am moving away from the processed food that has helped me so far and the shopping list is really full of whole natural foods - I've had my first coffee with full cream instead of straight black this morning. Yay!

Reactions: 20 people

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished 8 weeks on the VLCD as of last night.

Total weight loss 39lbs. Although I usually hovered around 17st I recorded my starting weight as 16st 9lbs and set a target weight of 14 stones. My weight this morning was 13st 12lbs or 88kg. BMI is still 27.1, so I plan to lose another stone to reach the top of the "normal" range at least. However, I haven't weighed as little as this for about 25 years.

More importantly my BG is far more stable in the range of 4.1 to 5.5 in the mornings, 4.5 to 7.0 during the day before & after meals and around 4.5 to 5.0 at bedtime. I was having anything in the extremes of 3.5 to 17 in the weeks before I started on this path. BP is reduced too. This is all with reduced medication. I was on 11 tablets every day at the start. Now I'm on 3; 1 x 500mg Metformin, that I hope to eliminate after my next A1C in about 4 weeks time; 1 x 10mg Amlodipine for BP - but as hypertension pre-dates my diabetes diagnosis i'll take medical advice on that elimination; 1 x 20mg Atorvastatin for cholesterol - again to be reconsidered after my next full set of bloods.

I consider this to be the first round of my battle against my T2 diabetes that I have won, turning the tide of progression that I had previously allowed to happen by inaction. Today I start on LCHF for the long-term "slog", so I guess I'll migrate to the appropriate thread for future contributions.

The support of everyone who has contributed here has been invaluable. I never thought I could achieve this milestone, but in hindsight it now seems to have been relatively easy. Re-introducing real food and getting the balance right for the future seems daunting and complicated compared to the "what packet shall I open now?" process I've been on for the last 8 weeks. At least I am moving away from the processed food that has helped me so far and the shopping list is really full of whole natural foods - I've had my first coffee with full cream instead of straight black this morning. Yay!

Really great results Rob, best of luck for the future on LCHF, I'll see you there in a week

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So much progress in here, I am very impressed by all the progress made by people here. This thread is a real treasure, it is a really great resource to show people being newly diagnosed, because this thread is so encouraging. Here is a interview with Roy Taylor, he talks with somebody during a liveshow about diabetes. Really interesting.

Also, have somebody seen this? Its Mike Lean( what a name for a diabetes professor), he is a collegue of Roy Taylor. He is behind the large study where they try to do the newcastle through normal GPs, I think it started in 2013, and it will end in 2018. He claims that over 300 people have been cured from their diabetes, following the program. Do read the whole article, I do not agree with everything he says, he is against saturated fats for instance, but it is cool that they have over 300 confirmed improvements at least.http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2015/...defeat-diabetes-using-800-calorie-a-day-diet/

Here is also a lecture by him

http://www.otago.ac.nz/diabetes/news/otago088304.html

Reactions: 6 people

Geezer60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the first time I have posted but I have been reading this thread and others relating to the ND with great interest and it helped to motivate me to stay on track.
I completed the 8 weeks on the ND 2 weeks ago and so far I couldn't it appears to have worked and put my diabetes into remission.
My personal details are:
Height 185cm
Starting weight 96kg
Ending weight 83kg
Was taking 1x 500mg Metforin slow release daily.
Diagnosed 4 years ago.
I live in Australia and Optifast is is available in most Pharmacy s so I followed the diet exactly as it was done in the trial. My BG dropped into the 4/5 range in the first week and I stopped the Metforin.
I didn't consult my doctor before starting but when I saw this week he was very happy with the results - he has scheduled me for follow up test in 3 months so fingers crossed they are still good.

Reactions: 12 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just got back down to my lowest weight and fasting blood readings 2 weeks after ending the NP. Height 185cm - weight 84.2kg - fasting blood 4.4 (down from 11's) - total weight loss over 10 months 25.8kg.

Have had no real success with the LCHF. Switched back to the 5:2 - worked like a dream. But I have modified it a bit and avoid carbs on the 5 days of eating. I think I'll give the Superdrug 5:2 program a go - just for a trial - and report back.

Great to know so many of you are giving this a go.

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally skidded off plan, but I have 5 weeks until my holiday so back to it today. I need a mantra to get me through the cravings for something to actually chew on…my pens are all looking pretty dire now and I can't lend them to anyone ...

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Totally skidded off plan, but I have 5 weeks until my holiday so back to it today. I need a mantra to get me through the cravings for something to actually chew on…my pens are all looking pretty dire now and I can't lend them to anyone ...
Water......Drink loads of water......then drink some more. Brettza says sparkling water fills you up more...but I didnt believe it till I tried it. You have to drink till your bladder bursts!!!!!

Stay with it - it is very worth it. On a trip to a hospital yesterday (for work) I passed a ward where a number of amputees were getting used to life without legs - T2DM patients. A real wake up call for me.

Reactions: 10 people

telandy

On Australian tv today SBS showed the BBC film from Michael Mosely ( whose father was diabetic) and he is just at the edge of the normal scale for T2) I wish I could find it on you tube, since it goes into exercise and how for some people regular exercise doesn't make much difference. The sitting in the chair factor is a killer and he wears wiggle pants to show his level of activity per day. What it eludes too is HIT exercise of 3 minutes per week, each session one minute, peddling as fast as you can for one minutes to unlock the body glucose and produce more insulin! Its forcing the body to go into areas where it hasn't been, sound familiar! You don't even have to break sweat but this one minute of intensity is better than going to the gym on a regular basis! Thinking laterally if you did this with the ND you could possibly get better blood sugar results.

I have found it on vimeo, please watch

Reactions: 7 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Telandy

Yes - this was shown in England quite some time ago now - last year I think. Very interesting.

Personally I didn't 'work out' during the NP - but I did find myself moving more.

I had a conversation with a gastroenterologist last week. We discussed Prof T et al and T2 reversal. I mentioned that some of our cohort on this thread had low BMI's to start with. He suggested that the lower the starting BMI, the more important it would be to include exercise as part of your T2 reversal plan. Exercise may burn up the liver fat and build muscle, thereby not further reducing the BMI - but shifting fat from the liver and pancreas. This video would be particularly interesting to our low end BMI diabies.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a documentary on BBC and I think I mentioned it somewhere about HIT and I did it while on nd and I will start with it again, had to leave it due to chilblains and other problems but I am going to start it soon.