Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It didnt take that long. I slowed it down after the initial rapid loss and as you can see by the time I started monitoring my BG Levels (one month in) my fasting was already back to normal from a starting level of 9.4 mmol/l and as you can see from my signature at 3 months I was back to normal HbA1c.

Reactions: 4 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
missing the picture
upload_2015-6-29_17-5-57.png

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Hi everyone, can I ask about the Newcastle diet, forgive my ignorance as I've only just heard about it but how does it differ from other calorie controlled diet shakes? Does it have to be optifast? I've got a lot to lose & as a newly diagnosed my blood sugars are quite high but I'm only testing at work as they won't give me a machine. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hi Sazzy

We seem to have used different things but I took the easy way out and used Slimfastvshakes. In the evening it was salad or soup.

Please read this thread though. There are some things you need to know.

In summary
1 drink lots of water to prevent ketoacidocis
2 include salt to promote transit
3 include oil to prevent Gaul stones.

Reactions: 2 people

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, I was planning on trying slim fast shakes. I've read a few pages (111 seems a bit daunting!!!) & I've looked into the Newcastle diet & reason behind it. I just desperately need to do something about weight & blood sugars. I feel ashamed to be in this position if I'm honest & just want to do my best to try to improve things for the future. I have an 8 year old & want to be there as a mum for him!

Anyway, enough maudling, onwards & upwards or forwards & downwards......

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, can I ask about the Newcastle diet, forgive my ignorance as I've only just heard about it but how does it differ from other calorie controlled diet shakes? Does it have to be optifast? I've got a lot to lose & as a newly diagnosed my blood sugars are quite high but I'm only testing at work as they won't give me a machine. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

A big welcome to the forum Sazzy19, a great bunch of people here AND a wealth of info on this thread, if you have a spare hour I suggest you read this thread from the start, it's the one that really opened my eyes,

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd echo the above comments ... the posts will certainy give an indication of what lies ahead if you follow the ND by whatever method - plateaus in weight loss, minor short-term setbacks, overall improvements and how, when looking ahead it seems daunting but when looking back, not so bad after all.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, I was planning on trying slim fast shakes. I've read a few pages (111 seems a bit daunting!!!) & I've looked into the Newcastle diet & reason behind it. I just desperately need to do something about weight & blood sugars. I feel ashamed to be in this position if I'm honest & just want to do my best to try to improve things for the future. I have an 8 year old & want to be there as a mum for him!

HI Sazzy19

Just noticed Boots are doing Slimfast at buy one get one half price. That works out to about £1.20 a shake. That's the best offer I can see around at the moment - since Superdrug stopped doing the 1/2 price then 2 for 1 offers.

Tried Slederplan powders from Superdrug. They are much cheaper - but I don't rate them. They taste very protein - y and the powder doesn't dissolve all that easily - so you get lumps!

Slimfast ready made shakes are the best - they taste a little sweet after a while - but they are ok.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Steve,

There's also the Exante shakes (and bars) that I used. With current offers they work out between 95p & £1 per shake/bar.

Reactions: 3 people

Polly99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sazzy, I used Slim-fast but made it up with water not milk - makes a difference to the calories and you're not meant to have milk or any lactose (sugar from milk) when doing the ND. You won't feel hungry, as long as you keep drinking water, just maybe a bit bored, but the effect on blood sugar and weight is pretty motivating.
Keep us posted xx

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much all of you. I need to do something my blood sugar today at work was over 17 about 4 hours after eating & was still over 8 8 hours after breakfast before I had lunch. (I have a strange job!) I'm trying to get into see gp as I'm not happy to just keep on like that until my hba1c is checked again in august which was the suggestion of the practice nurse when I rang up about high sugar levels last week when I worked nights.

Morrisons have the slim fast tubs in at £4 for rhe 12 serving one which I thought was good so I'm going to get that tomorrow & start.

A friend was telling me about asking gp for free referral to the gym, her husband gets it & she said I will qualify as well. Quite impressed by that.

A really big thank you to all of your lovely welcoming comments & replying quickly, really appreciate it!

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you very much all of you. I need to do something my blood sugar today at work was over 17 about 4 hours after eating & was still over 8 8 hours after breakfast before I had lunch. (I have a strange job!) I'm trying to get into see gp as I'm not happy to just keep on like that until my hba1c is checked again in august which was the suggestion of the practice nurse when I rang up about high sugar levels last week when I worked nights.

Morrisons have the slim fast tubs in at £4 for rhe 12 serving one which I thought was good so I'm going to get that tomorrow & start.

A friend was telling me about asking gp for free referral to the gym, her husband gets it & she said I will qualify as well. Quite impressed by that.

A really big thank you to all of your lovely welcoming comments & replying quickly, really appreciate it!
HI Sazzy19

Wow - those figures are high. Sounds like you are making the right move.

Please check in with your GP or DN - just to be sure that you are eligible for this program. It will be your choice - and as we have learned from this thread - not all GP's or DN's are aware of the program or support it. However, if there is no good reason to not do it - then go for it. We can talk you through it.

While you will experience weight loss - it is finding your personal fat threshold (PFT) that is important. That is the point when your liver and pancreas are sufficiently clear of fat to restore Beta cell function. This may come about in as little as two weeks - it may not come about after 56 days - but most of us have stuck to the 56 days regardless - and by the sound of things most of us have found or PFT. But it will not be easy. The first few days will be carb withdrawal. Then you go into ketosis. Loads to talk about and share - so let us know when things start to happen.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Oh - and one more thing - the gym thing is not that important. It is for your cardio vascular system - but not for the Newcastle Program (NP). I know some of the others on this thread have different ideas - so please take this on balance. Exercise will mean you will need to take on loads more water - it may also cause hunger and make the NP all that more difficult. The body is remarkably capable of retaining fat - so in reality it is not an effective way to lose weight - and to go to the gym while on the NP may not be the best idea.

I tended to do more natural exercise - like walking - or just generally being active. You will find yourself moving more at any rate - as you start to go into remission.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sazzy

I suggest you first check with your gp if he or she is ready to support you as that very important.
Also before buying the shakes, please check they have the required vitamins and minerals etc that you need or are recommended, I think it would have but just wanted to highlight it so you can take the right decision.

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks again everyone for advice, I will take it all on board & read the thread.
I'm trying to up my walking & also I have a really active job so it's easier now for me to be more active.

Thanks again

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @snazzy19, have you shake that weight

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Sazzy

How was your first day. You may be experiencing a bit of hunger today. Please work through this. Drink loads of water. You may also experience some lightheadednes as you go through carb withdrawal - so no operating any heavy machinery! :eek: