Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, yesterday & today went well thanks. Not really hungry as I've drank at least 2 litres of water both days & that has helped a lot. I am really busy at work so I don't get a set lunch break so I went from 6.30 til 3.30 today before I had my second shake, bm was still over 8 & when I checked it 4 hours later it was still 14. I've booked to go & see gp next week where I'm going to demand a meter & a better review of medication!

Reactions: 4 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Hi Sazzy

Pleased it went well. It takes a couple of days for the low blood numbers to kick in. It gets easier. Just a bit boring but you can unload on us.

I used to leave my shakes for as long as possible. I wasn't hungry in the morning so had my first shake at about lunch time. Water solves the hunger problem.

Pretty soon you may start to experience a few more side effects. I had itchy skin. Then I had very cold hands and feet. Should be noticeable even in this heat!

Remember to include some salt in your veg intake and some oil.

When you see your GP consider taking him/her the Prof T download.

Reactions: 6 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I'd update this thread after today's GP visit - the first since starting the ND.

HbA1c is 43 or 6.1% and he has agreed that the 1 Metformin I am currently taking per day is no longer required, so he has wiped all Diabetes medication from my repeat prescriptions, halved my remaing BP tablet and we have decided to monitor my cholesterol for another 3 months to see what LCHF does to those figures (I dropped the statin a few days ago to see if my long-term aches dissipated).

He seemed genuinely impressed by what I had achieved in 3 months and when I said about returning for full blood tests every 3 months his response was, "You do what you like, you're the expert here and totally in charge. I'll go with whatever you want."!

Walked out with a massive smile on my face.

Reactions: 20 people

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great Rob. Really good to hear positives about it!

I've sort of adapted a calorie controlled diet & incorporated slim fast into it but I've also been having soups at lunch instead as it's less calories involved & tastes better! There has been some weight loss but not dramatic & falling off me but that's fine as it's coming off steady & I'm changing the way I view food for a change!

Reactions: 10 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I'd update this thread after today's GP visit - the first since starting the ND.

HbA1c is 43 or 6.1% and he has agreed that the 1 Metformin I am currently taking per day is no longer required, so he has wiped all Diabetes medication from my repeat prescriptions, halved my remaing BP tablet and we have decided to monitor my cholesterol for another 3 months to see what LCHF does to those figures (I dropped the statin a few days ago to see if my long-term aches dissipated).

He seemed genuinely impressed by what I had achieved in 3 months and when I said about returning for full blood tests every 3 months his response was, "You do what you like, you're the expert here and totally in charge. I'll go with whatever you want."!

Walked out with a massive smile on my face.

@RobOwen Great news keep up the good work!

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
HI Guys

This will be my last post on this thread. I have moved over to the 'Transition to real food' thread now. Just like email addresses - I can only really deal with one at a time.

Saw the GP today - and after the NP - here are the stats......

HbA1c in July 2013 was 7.6
HbA1c in July 2015 is 6.2

Cholesterol in July 2013 was 7.6
Cholesterol in July 2013 is 4.3

BMI in July 2013 was 30.1
BMI in July 2015 is 23

My GP said 'That is amazing - and has taken extraordinary dedication'. I told her it was thanks to Prof T and the Newcastle program - and you guys on the forum.

She has taken me off all medication (officially) and said 'I believe your T2 is in remission'.

I have to have bloods done again in 3 months - but that is ok with me. I'll keep monitoring of course - but right now I feel like celebrating.

Thanks guys - I really mean it. Having someone to talk to about this has been so important to me.

So - I'm moving on. It's not that I don't like this thread - it's just - well I don't feel we have so much in common anymore. I feel I need some space. It's not you - ok - it's me. I just need to find myself........

He He He He He :);):);)

But also sad to be leaving!!!!!:(

Reactions: 17 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI Guys

This will be my last post on this thread. I have moved over to the 'Transition to real food' thread now. Just like email addresses - I can only really deal with one at a time.

BMI in July 2015 is 23

My GP said 'That is amazing - and has taken extraordinary dedication'. I told her it was thanks to Prof T and the Newcastle program - and you guys on the forum.

She has taken me off all medication (officially) and said 'I believe your T2 is in remission'.

I have to have bloods done again in 3 months - but that is ok with me. I'll keep monitoring of course - but right now I feel like celebrating.

Thanks guys - I really mean it. Having someone to talk to about this has been so important to me.

So - I'm moving on. It's not that I don't like this thread - it's just - well I don't feel we have so much in common anymore. I feel I need some space. It's not you - ok - it's me. I just need to find myself........

Isn't 6.2% still in the pre-diabetes range, or did I calculate that wrongly?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yes I think so but if he takes it sensible for a while I am sure things will improve a little more over the next few months. Good luck in three months time

telandy

HI Guys

BMI in July 2015 is 23

Reactions: 2 people

telandy

Well Done Steve 50 for entaining me since March and trying to keep me on track, fantastic job.

With me business trips and heyfever had got in the way, taking a low calorie diet as I can, last week in Poland we drove over 1000 miles in three days and I needed food, especially on Polish A roads!

History 4 weeks on NT then low cal diet, blood sugar still high in the mornings. 7.4 this morning but dropped down to 5.3 at lunchtime. Lost 10Kg, but have a barrier going lower at the moment.

I keep going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

telandy

That's great Rob. Really good to hear positives about it!

I've sort of adapted a calorie controlled diet & incorporated slim fast into it but I've also been having soups at lunch instead as it's less calories involved & tastes better! There has been some weight loss but not dramatic & falling off me but that's fine as it's coming off steady & I'm changing the way I view food for a change!
Sazzy19 - how are you getting on with the diet, how about giving us an update?
Anyone else out there who is doing the ND?

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi telandy.

I've not followed it as strictly as I should have for the Newcastle diet unfortunately. I have been on slimfast & lost just over half a stone but I've dropped a full dress size in a few weeks but my blood sugars are still all over the place despite metformin being increased. When at work im finding eating quite difficult due to not having breaks. How is everyone else getting on?

telandy

Hi telandy.

I've not followed it as strictly as I should have for the Newcastle diet unfortunately. I have been on slimfast & lost just over half a stone but I've dropped a full dress size in a few weeks but my blood sugars are still all over the place despite metformin being increased. When at work im finding eating quite difficult due to not having breaks. How is everyone else getting on?
Hi Sazzy19 Go on the positives, half a stone is half a stone, well done you, and what more a dress size. it is not easy but keep going. Can you take a soup or salad with you for lunch? A walk at lunchtime could help if you can get out for 20 minutes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi telandy.

Slimfast shakes have significant amounts of quick release carbs (mainly as sugars), so i would be surprised if your blood glucose wasn't all over the place. There are slower release, more sustaining shakes you could try. Or add fibre (psyllium husks) which would slow absorption.

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to try something different tomorrow as I work as part of an emergency response team so it's a bit unpredictable as to if & when I get a break, I missed out today & I know I need to be more strict & try & take some time. I already walk over 11000 steps a day which I set 10000 as my goal to achieve weight loss so fingers crossed it will keep coming off slowly. Thanks for replying

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was wondering about that as I've got an app on my phone, s health & it works out calories, carbs, fats & protein plus other stuff & there's a load of carbs, im half tempted to just stop that & carry on calorie counting with the app as I've found that more useful.

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not just calorie, it was just the easiest way to describe it. It tracks fats, sugars, carbs, protein plus others. So its easy to see what I'm eating, especially carbs which has always been a problem with me. Sorry for confusion, I will be more accurate in future

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
But if you are doing 800cals it really doesnt matter what the composition is as you are going to be very deficient in all areas. I always tried to keep my protein up to maintain my muscle mass but that was just me. Just keep losing the weight it will come eventually.