Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Thanks,I will try my best.Getting so sick of staying the same on LCHF.
Odd thing is - after about 4 or 5 days, you wont really notice the lack of food. Once you have passed carb withdrawal. It wil be tough till then.

You will develop your own strategies (i.e. holding back your first shake till lunch time). I also found a small reward at the end of the day helped. I would (on most days) have a shake at lunch time - 10 - 15 gallons of water through the afternoon - a carefully weighed evening meal at about 7.30pm - then at about 9 I would have a Slimfast bar. This was instead of a second shake. The calories still added up to the recommended 600 (+ 200). It's just that I was hungrier in the afternoon and evening and the Slimfast bar was a kind of self reward for making it through the day. (they do come in chocolate!)

You'll also develop your own recipes. My favorites were garlic mushrooms, salads and soups. I think we all agree that social occasions are the hardest to deal with. Again diet coke can come to your rescue - and most times a side salad can at least give the appearance of you taking part in eating.

I should have also said that Brettza recommends sparkling water - it gives you more of a sensation of feeling full. Maybe diet coke will do the same.

Reactions: 7 people

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Thanks I will do! You have been a great help,I will use your advice .
Yes amazing how diabetes forces you to change.I was addicted to carbs,especially junk food and have cut then from my diet totally,except for last night when I had a pre-NP binge on cake and lasagne.Woke up with blood sugar at 10,haven't done that since I was diagnosed. Shows the food addiction is still there.
Anyway on the NP from today..... :)

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know its a bit dodgy to recommend links to videos on this thread - but I do like this one; Makes me smile :bag:

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's really great to see so many of you giving this a go. I'm kind of missing it - NP withdrawal! I'm not all that satisfied with the LCHF - so I'm thinking of doing a couple of days on the NP in between. Food just feels uncomfortable inside now and fasting blood is much higher than before!

Starvation isn't a great way forward either..

How long is it since you ended the NP and started eating more "normally" again? It can take the body a short while to adjust to generating all the correct enzymes and amounts of insulin when the diet is changed.

As briefly and simply as I can, your body likes routine. Based on recent eating patterns, your body will produce the digestive enzymes it recently needed to digest that food efficiently. (Insulin comes into this too, although T1s obviously differ quite a bit.) When you change diet, your body is caught on the hop and doesn't digest quite so efficiently for a short while (could be a few days). If you repeat the exercise, it could be your scores improve, subject to your body's physical ability to generate the correct enzymes.

If you google "last meal effect", you'll return some interesting stuff.

Reactions: 4 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Yvonne49

That was exactly the case with me. I lost heaps on the 5:2 - then stalled. I then lost another 10.4 kg on the NP. (We call it the Newcastle Program - because a Diet implies food is involved :woot:).

Tips we have shared on this thread include;

- add salt to what you do eat (this helps in so many necessary ways!)
- add some oil (i.e. teaspoon of olive oil) this helps avoid gall stones; and
- (in answer to your question) drink loads.

I drank diet coke. Mostly because I was in ketosis - and the buttery taste on my tongue was temporarily neutralised by coke. But I also drank my body weight in water. I actually think this helped lower my blood sugar - but I cant really prove it. If I've leaned one thing from this thread - its that we all respond differently to the NP - but mostly we end up in the same place (lower blood sugar, lower weight and baggy clothes!).

@Steve50

Yup the baggy clothes but I still kept my jeans from 20 years ago. The old jeans now fit. with a very slight muffin top. As an ex-pat I am not sure if I can now say "Muffin top" but that's what they call loose skin hanging over the waist band of a pair of trousers or jeans. Alas I see lots of muffin tops everywhere here in the US.

Reactions: 2 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

How long is it since you ended the NP and started eating more "normally" again? It can take the body a short while to adjust to generating all the correct enzymes and amounts of insulin when the diet is changed.

As briefly and simply as I can, your body likes routine. Based on recent eating patterns, your body will produce the digestive enzymes it recently needed to digest that food efficiently. (Insulin comes into this too, although T1s obviously differ quite a bit.) When you change diet, your body is caught on the hop and doesn't digest quite so efficiently for a short while (could be a few days). If you repeat the exercise, it could be your scores improve, subject to your body's physical ability to generate the correct enzymes.

Hi AB

I am gradually introducing foods - but my body has a knack of telling me when I overdo it - and my partner is onto me also. Fell asleep on the couch yesterday evening - and got told off!!!!! She thought I had over-eaten....but I was just genuinely tired!

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Hi AB

I did as you suggested 'google' last meal effect - also 'last supper syndrome' came up. While I did find some interesting info on gestational glucose - there were also some rather creepy pages on last meals eaten by death row prisoners.

Now I realise the NP can be tricky - but please, anyone reading this, .....it really isn't that bad!!!! :jimlad::eek::)

Stick with it.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I realise the NP can be tricky - but please, anyone reading this, .....it really isn't that bad!!!! :jimlad::eek::)

Stick with it.
I can second that.

Day 43/56, 14st 5 3/4lbs. Cumulative loss in 6 weeks just over 31lbs. Bloods bumping along at around 4.6 - 4.9 each morning.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've not been getting the love from my meter lately I've re-read http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure and I am so done with having T2D. I've lost 61½ lbs more than 23% of my body weight yet still diabetic numbers. I went to the store and bought a couple of cans of Slimfast & I'm going to finish my journey with NP directly. I am so done with T2D. I feel a kinship with Richard Doughty as I am now starting from a low BMI of 23 down from 30.7. My only regret is that I wish I'd started when I had a bit more meat on my bones like a BMI of 24-25.

Reactions: 8 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've not been getting the love from my meter lately I've re-read http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure and I am so done with having T2D. I've lost 61½ lbs more than 23% of my body weight yet still diabetic numbers. I went to the store and bought a couple of cans of Slimfast & I'm going to finish my journey with NP directly. I am so done with T2D. I feel a kinship with Richard Doughty as I am now starting from a low BMI of 23 down from 30.7. My only regret is that I wish I'd started when I had a bit more meat on my bones like a BMI of 24-25.
@mohanankur is also in your position and @Arab Horse is underweight if I remember but I don't know if they have started the diet just yet. Actually @mohanankur has started already.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mohanankur is also in your position and @Arab Horse is underweight if I remember but I don't know if they have started the diet just yet. Actually @mohanankur has started already.

Prof Taylor was adamant that it was overall weight loss. Not the aggressive-ness of the weight loss that caused the T2 to go into remission, that for me didn't make sense. As 400 lb bariatric patients went into remission at 2-3 weeks post surgery yet they are still morbidly obese at 350lbs +.

I've seen non-diabetic numbers recently but not consistently. I am at my lowest weight since being diagnosed so I am taking an executive decision to get past the post. I've been doing Jason Fung style fastings in the mornings so going full bore on NP shouldn't be the end of the day. I just need to get thru 8-10 days to clean out liver and pancreas and get to where I need to be.. Richard Doughty needed just 11 days to put T2 into remission.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I had intended to start a couple of weeks ago but had a lot of things going on so it wasn't the right time to start. I also don't want to be doing a lot of driving in the first few days if I feel grotty so will try and start Sunday as I have an early start, long day and quite a bit of driving tomorrow. I have had all my slimming shakes for several weeks just waiting for the right time to start.

You are correct, I am underweight. When I started low carbing I lost over a stone and a half in weight and am now hovering around or just above the 7 stone mark and have a BMI of 17.7; just above the red "dangerously underweight" bracket. I don't actually look very thin and my aim is to try and reverse my diabetes so that I can eat more normally without adding drugs. I am currently on metformin twice daily and statins but I really don't want to be taking more if I can help it. Being a biochemist I am aware of the side effects of many of the drugs and when I read the reports about the other drug I was on I refused to put another one in my mouth let alone swallow it!

I realise I am a very untypical T2 and the ND may not work for me but I really want to give it a try and see if I can get my glucose within the normal range, hopefully I won't have to do the full 8 weeks and I certainly won't if I feel it is doing me harm rather than good.

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Steve. I sure will post my updates here. Weight gain is not too much of an key issue for me, as I am only 63 KG. As per ND Diet documents I need to lose atleast 15% of my weight to reverse my Diabetes. So, strangely I am worried a lot more about weight loss than weight gain. If I lose 15% I would most likely become underweight. Which probably is no good either but still will be better than upset days due to high Fasting readings.

Life takes a full circle I have been very thin all my life and one point in time intentionally started gaining weight. Which I did and went upto 74 KG. Now, I am back to 63KG when I got diagnosed. So, looks like I am heading back to where I was.

I got diagnosed during a full Body checkup, my report also confirmed that I had a Fatty Liver - Grade 1 (not sure where it came from), but that kind of reinstates my belief in Prof. Taylor's research, as it seems to be too true at least in my case. At-least with ND i will fix one of the 2 problems for sure :)

Already, ordered my shakes, Cigs down a lot (targeting to limit to max of 3 per day to begin with from one pack) , already down to 5-6 . And I am on my way to take on that organ fat head on.

I hope this works for me.
Just so you know, I used nicotine gum and quitting was almost easy. Like, embarrassingly easy.

When you realize what smoking does to promote insulin resistance, and remember how well you just did on a crazy diet, you'll find willpower stores you did not even know you had. Post Newcastle is the best time to kick the habit in my opinion.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi AB

Stick with it.

Hi Steve
Totally agree with you and @RobOwen,
Day 39/56 and happy enough with the results, though not as good as you pair, stuck in the low 6s, and 25 lbs lighter, BUT as you both said, after a couple of weeks the system seems to bed Down and the stomach shrinks, so even a small salad is very filling, Happy, Happy And to anyone starting the NP, it's a breeze,

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Steve
Totally agree with you and @RobOwen,
Day 39/56 and happy enough with the results, though not as good as you pair, stuck in the low 6s, and 25 lbs lighter, BUT as you both said, after a couple of weeks the system seems to bed Down and the stomach shrinks, so even a small salad is very filling, Happy, Happy And to anyone starting the NP, it's a breeze,

Well, yes. I found the calorie restriction phase of ND was, indeed very easy. The first two days were a bit strange, but after that, ketosis state made sure that I did not feel hungry. In fact I never felt as well as when I was in the fasting mode.
However, the transition from ND to real food can be tricky. Needs to be gradual over several days. Starting with small additions of protein, no carbs until 3rd or 4th day, and then small amounts, checking BG and eating to meter.
A long term eating plan needs to be decided on. If you do not keep checking weight and BG, you may find you eventually return to the same state as you were pre-ND, particularly if you return to former eating habits. ND is not the end, it is the kick start to the beginning.

Reactions: 6 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
However, the transition from ND to real food can be tricky. Needs to be gradual over several days. Starting with small additions of protein, no carbs until 3rd or 4th day, and then small amounts, checking BG and eating to meter.
A long term eating plan needs to be decided on. If you do not keep checking weight and BG, you may find you eventually return to the same state as you were pre-ND, particularly if you return to former eating habits. ND is not the end, it is the kick start to the beginning.
I have picked up on that theme over the weeks I have been browsing on here and from posts by those that have preceeded me. It's interesting from my perspective that the Exante products aren't proportionately that low in carbs; today's 3 x 200 cal meals, for example, have totalled 52g of carbs.

I do know that I have now become obsessive about "real" food that is under 2 weeks away and the prospect of cooked breakfasts, meat & fish with salads & dressings is a real milestone to reach. Considering how much cereals, bread, cake & biscuits, etc. featured as such a significant part of what used to be my food intake, I am not "longing" for them. I am researching low-carb alternatives for Pizza, bread for sandwiches and burgers, etc. and all the recipes I keep seeing on here plus elewhere are being squirrelled away for the very near future. I'm actually quite looking forward to taking over meal responsibility for the rest of the family, adjusting content for their needs as well as mine.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have picked up on that theme over the weeks I have been browsing on here and from posts by those that have preceeded me. It's interesting from my perspective that the Exante products aren't proportionately that low in carbs; today's 3 x 200 cal meals, for example, have totalled 52g of carbs.

I do know that I have now become obsessive about "real" food that is under 2 weeks away and the prospect of cooked breakfasts, meat & fish with salads & dressings is a real milestone to reach. Considering how much cereals, bread, cake & biscuits, etc. featured as such a significant part of what used to be my food intake, I am not "longing" for them. I am reasearching low-carb alternatives for Pizza, bread for sandwiches and burgers, etc. and all the recipes I keep seing on here plus elewhere are being squirrelled away for the very near future. I'm actually quite looking forward to taking over meal responsibility for the rest of the family, adjusting content for their needs as well as mine.
Well you will be doing them all a favour if you go low carb. That is low carb full fat.
Beware you don't make the mistake I did though. Still with weight to lose I overdid the fat intake. Common sense should have told me that too many calories from too much food of any sort would mean a weight gain. We live and learn. Keep low carb.