Newcastle Diet

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling exhausted all the time
Hi, this is my first post on this forum as I was only diagnosed last week. I had anticipated my GP's diagnosis and therefore I had already read of the Newcastle Diet, so I knew I was going to give it a go.
I started last Friday, so now on day 6. My fasting BG at the start was 7.4, weight 164lbs. My fasting BG today was 6.4 although my weight loss only appears to be 2lb.
I am using the slim fast shakes three times daily, eating the soups and vegetables for my evening meal, and have been running twice (aiming for three times weekly, so will be going again tomorrow) burning about 300 cals each time.
I'm pleased with the BG level but not sure that my weight loss is so great.
Any advice would be appreciated, although I am truly inspired with the success stories I have read on here.

SaravananOrg

Mongoose39uk said:
I read 15% of your weight at diagnosis should be the target to aim for loosing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thanks mate. My blood sugar is dropping rapidly. It looks like I'll have to call off the diet before asap. If the BG doesn't fall rapidly, I'll wait till 15% weight loss is achieved.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SaravananOrg said:
Mongoose39uk said:
I read 15% of your weight at diagnosis should be the target to aim for loosing.

Thanks mate. My blood sugar is dropping rapidly. It looks like I'll have to call off the diet before asap. If the BG doesn't fall rapidly, I'll wait till 15% weight loss is achieved.

Most of the people in the Counterpoint Study achieved normal plasma glucose and insulin levels within the first couple of weeks but the 8 weeks was required to get the hepatic trigyceride levels down. The plasma blood glucose level is the easiest thing to measure but it is only a symptom, not the cause.

tomersn

British "Guardian" web site says, scientists said in a report, with associated with obesity and type 2 diabetes patients for many years, through continuous two months adhere to very low calorie diet has been cured, at least temporarily.

Although the relatively small size, but the University of Newcastle scientists survey results show that, the treatment of type 2 diabetes is possible, not through drugs, but through the diet.

11 diabetic patients were enrolled in this study. In two months time, they must put the calories a day reduced to 600000 card. 3 months later, this 11 people in 7 people with diabetes.

Roy Taylor professor of University of Newcastle led the study, said: "after years of patient with diabetes disease, this is very attract sb.'s attention -- and all because of diet for 8 weeks. This makes a fundamental change in our understanding of type 2 diabetes. People have long believed that type 2 diabetes patients, will accompany lifetime, and will gradually deteriorate, but we have shown that we can cure the disease."

DaveNN

All,
I,too, am doing a very low calorie diet and ( so far) the results have been nothing short of amazing.
BG is as near as normal ( albeit a touch of liver dumping in the morning), I rarely feel hungry and when I do....I wait until meal time.
I'm not drinking any faddy shakes, nor starving myself.
The diet is all over the net and does involve a fair amount of grapefruit....which screws up metformin...not that I'm taking any at the minute, as I was too bone idle to drive to the chemists- until today that is.
8lb weight loss since Saturday am, after a HUGE indian the night before.
One or two headaches, granted, cured by 1/4 Co Codomol.
I did fall off the wagon one day when I made myself a huge beef jalfrezi. However, I added a tablespoon of chilli flakes to the mix and the subsequent results almost certainly meant that my body did not gain the full nutritional value....if you know what I mean. :-(

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
been on the Newcastle regime since oct31st, got weighed yesterday have lost almost 2st,today had a treat ( ice-cream) kind of scared it might start a problem.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
It's Day 3 for me too, I've lost 4lb. I've had a shake for breakfast, lunch and teatime. I've had a tin of chopped tomatoes, around 70 calories each lunchtime. I'm used to having supper and feel hungry in the evenings too so last night I had a small salad early evening and a portion of cauliflower around 9.30Pm.

I'm not actually finding it as hard as I thought I would so far, I like the shakes which is a bonus. I had a headache first afternoon which went on until bedtime but been ok since.

I went to the pharmacy just before lunch for a finger prick test and my reading was 7.8 which I was a little disappointed with but this makes me more determined to succeed.

Hiya, Just spotted you go to the pharmacy for BS tests? if you log on to the appropriate BAYER site you will get a bayer meter for free with a supply of lancets and test strips total worth is about £65. I've had 3 from them, I put the dogs name down and the meter was delivered a month later with her name on the label. Why don't you apply for a free meter? Good luck then, Q

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks q007 your advice is always welcome, but I have a good diabetic nurse, she lets me have all the test strips I need at present.